BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 540i Oem exhaust with resonator delete.

09-30-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Gran Coupe Xdrive

When I bought my car I was going to get the M performance exhaust but I test drove a car with it at the dealership & thought it droned a lot on comfort at highway speeds. I decided to do a resonator delete with the stock exhaust & it sounds just right. No drone whatsoever & it has the occasional pops & crackles on sport+ but very settle.

2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 2
      10-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Shepway
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xdrive

Sounds good, is it a easy job to do?
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      10-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepway View Post
I got an exhaust shop to do it.

They just replace the resonator with a straight pipe. It was $120. They had to flatten the pipe because in that area the pipe is more oval.

A lot cheaper than m performance exhaust.
2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 2
Shepway10.50
      10-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
sangy335
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris83 View Post
Quote:

They just replace the resonator with a straight pipe. It was $120. They had to flatten the pipe because in that area the pipe is more oval.

Happen to snap any pics of the setup?
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      10-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangy335 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Happen to snap any pics of the setup?
I don't have pictures of the pipe it was replaced with but this is what was replaced with a pipe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      12-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Here's how the pipe looks that's in place of the resonator.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      03-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
Highflyingbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i msport, M3CX

Has the exhaust opened up more since you have done this? I am thinking of doing the same. I got it priced and it’s inline with what you paid!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #8
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyingbimmer View Post
Has the exhaust opened up more since you have done this? I am thinking of doing the same. I got it priced and it’s inline with what you paid!
It sounds completely stock under normal driving. Unless you're on sport/sport plus & changing gears around 4-5500rpms it's when you hear it sound different. Cold starts are louder too. You still have the exhaust flap too which silences it. it opens up with higher rpms.
I don't think the sound changed much since.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #9
Highflyingbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i msport, M3CX

Sounds good. Thanks for the update!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
prince1566
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530i M Sport

Quote:
When I bought my car I was going to get the M performance exhaust but I test drove a car with it at the dealership & thought it droned a lot on comfort at highway speeds. I decided to do a resonator delete with the stock exhaust & it sounds just right. No drone whatsoever & it has the occasional pops & crackles on sport+ but very settle.

what is the diameter of the replacement pipe, 3inch?

Last edited by prince1566; 05-18-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      05-19-2019, 12:41 AM   #11
aadum
Second Lieutenant
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30

80 mm, converted should be round about 3 inch
      06-09-2019, 03:13 AM   #12
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Really interested in this as I too am a bit underwhelmed by the sound of the 540i. Be interested to know if anyone else has done this? presuming this is a permanent mod due to the fact you have to cut and weld. Wonder if there is a straight through section (catback) for existing exhaust system, that way you could just bolt in the section CatBack, and replace when it comes time to sell?
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      06-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Really interested in this as I too am a bit underwhelmed by the sound of the 540i. Be interested to know if anyone else has done this? presuming this is a permanent mod due to the fact you have to cut and weld. Wonder if there is a straight through section (catback) for existing exhaust system, that way you could just bolt in the section CatBack, and replace when it comes time to sell?
I think if the pipe in that area was round it would be easy to just buy a 3" diameter pipe & two exhaust clamps. Cut the pipe where the resonator box is & replace it with the pipe & clamp it in place.

The problem is the pipe in that area is some what flattened or oval shaped. The exhaust shop had to flatten it on each end or make them oval to be able to weld it without any leaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #14
Quinn A
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Will definitaly do this on mine after hearing this
2022 Cayenne Turbo coupe Catless/ Tune
2022 Huracan STO
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      07-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #15
drmlee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F06 650i

i would have cut it a few more inches longer where the pipe doesnt oval/distort.
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      09-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #16
tomjoml
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive M Sport

I have mine booked in to delete this resonator next week - quoted price in UK is £120 VAT inclusive so in-line with what OP paid. Will attempt to get photos.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:30 AM   #17
tomjoml
Rep

Removal complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjoml View Post
I have mine booked in to delete this resonator next week - quoted price in UK is £120 VAT inclusive so in-line with what OP paid. Will attempt to get photos.
Well, I went ahead and had it done - and man am I pleased I did! Couldn't get any snaps in progress but have got pics of the offending silencer removed and underneath.

Makes a big yet remarkably subtle difference. As previous poster suggested, absolutely no drone in comfort or at normal motorway speeds but noticeably louder under acceleration, particularly in sport mode.

I also have a 4.5" de-cat DP running, so is likely to sound a bit different from OPs outcome.

Will get a video in due-course - just did one but the volume caused the audio to cut out on the iPhone

No loss of power, no unexpected side-effects and no drone. All in all, a brilliant use of £100 while I save some cash for a full system.

Attached Images

Last edited by tomjoml; 09-12-2019 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Updated media
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      09-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I went ahead and had it done - and man am I pleased I did! Couldn't get any snaps in progress but have got pics of the offending silencer removed and underneath.

Makes a big yet remarkably subtle difference. As previous poster suggested, absolutely no drone in comfort or at normal motorway speeds but noticeably louder under acceleration, particularly in sport mode.

I also have a 4.5" de-cat DP running, so is likely to sound a bit different from OPs outcome.

Will get a video in due-course - just did one but the volume caused the audio to cut out on the iPhone

No loss of power, no unexpected side-effects and no drone. All in all, a brilliant use of £100 while I save some cash for a full system.

That sounds great with the de-catted downpipe. I would be very interested in hearing how it sounds like with some drive by under load in up shifts & down shifts.
I still have my oem downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:41 AM   #19
tomjoml
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That sounds great with the de-catted downpipe. I would be very interested in hearing how it sounds like with some drive by under load in up shifts & down shifts.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure - I'll try and get some but it will take some convincing to get my wife to film it for me...
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50
      10-03-2019, 04:36 AM   #20
tomjoml
Rep

Quote:
Hey,

Managed to convince my wife to take a video of car under load. Sorry about the quality, she wasn't hugely enthralled by my request

I think it sounds great considering it cost me next to nothing.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #21
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey,

Managed to convince my wife to take a video of car under load. Sorry about the quality, she wasn't hugely enthralled by my request

I think it sounds great considering it cost me next to nothing.

That sounds great 👍🏻 thank you for the video! Makes me wanna get a de-catted downpipe but I'm worried my wife would complain about the smell. The other worry is dealer refusing warranty to work.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #22
tomjoml
Rep

Quote:
That sounds great 👍🏻 thank you for the video! Makes me wanna get a de-catted downpipe but I'm worried my wife would complain about the smell. The other worry is dealer refusing warranty to work.
It does smell to be fair, and my wife does moan about it

That being said, I reckon if you did the ressy delete only as I did, even without the catless DP, the sound would be MUCH improved.
Appreciate 1
Norris83268.50