BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Android Auto alternative for ID6

10-25-2023, 06:59 AM   #23
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Looks like the latest on this site (https://www.carplaymmb.com/products/...multimedia-box) states dual wifi and supports wireless carplay and android auto. Thoughts?
      10-25-2023, 04:27 PM   #24
Raslin777
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_M550i View Post
Looks like the latest on this site (https://www.carplaymmb.com/products/...multimedia-box) states dual wifi and supports wireless carplay and android auto. Thoughts?
No luck on USB Carplay -
https://www.joyeauto.com/product/mmb...ai-box-for-bmw

Does say dual wifi but dont know if that is a play on words.(2.4g/5g) - also they did not change the SKU
I'll contact them later today.

Still no response from them.

Last edited by Raslin777; 10-26-2023 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 02:19 PM   #25
Raslin777
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_M550i View Post
Many like me who own a G30 with ID6 do not have the luxury of Android Auto. I'm a die hard Android user so switching to an iPhone is a no go. I didn't want to deal with a MMI so here is my method. I bought a used iPhone for the sole purpose of Carplay usage and nothing else. I have the iPhone connected as Carplay, I have my Samsung phone connected as a secondary phone so calls and whatnot still come through. Since the iPhone is not on a network it needs data for Spotify and Google maps for example to work. You cannot hotspot the iPhone since WiFi on the iPhone is used by Carplay. The work around is as follows. I use a lighting to Ethernet adapter on the iPhone, I also use a Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge. The bridge connects to iPhone via Ethernet. Vonets is the adapter I'm using. Vonets picks up the hotspot from my Android phone and sends it to the iPhone. Works great. On my Samsung I've set up a routine to automatically turn on hotspot when connected to the idrive. For me at least this solution works great, I get Google maps and Spotify which is my main goal. I'll probably jailbreak the iPhone and enable other apps through Carplay. All this fits in the arm rest area and powered with the cigarette lighter connector. Initial setup took some effort but once you are done it works quickly when you get in the car.
Another possible idea is to look for a device that converts USB CarPlay to WiFi CarPlay. Something that is universal. This way you could use any Android CarPlay device that uses the traditional usb.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 10:21 AM   #26
woodquarter
Rep
Drives: X3 2018 (G01), 3.0xd

Hi!

Basically just signed up fr this thread, as it is one of the few on the web that deal with this BMW issue. I face the same issue. Maybe you can help me out:

I have a 2018 X1 (G01) with NBT EVO and CarPlay enabled.

I realise that this is ONLY a wireless carplay connection.

I have an android phone.

I have not yet found a CAR --> wireless carplay --> Carplay/AndroidAuto Converter ---> wireless Android kind of dongle.

Does such a device already exist? If not, are there any "slick" workarounds? Any update from you guys on the MMB boxes?

Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 12:15 PM   #27
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodquarter View Post
Hi!

Basically just signed up fr this thread, as it is one of the few on the web that deal with this BMW issue. I face the same issue. Maybe you can help me out:

I have a 2018 X1 (G01) with NBT EVO and CarPlay enabled.

I realise that this is ONLY a wireless carplay connection.

I have an android phone.

I have not yet found a CAR —> wireless carplay —> Carplay/AndroidAuto Converter —-> wireless Android kind of dongle.

Does such a device already exist? If not, are there any "slick" workarounds? Any update from you guys on the MMB boxes?

Thank you very much!
No solution other than MMI unit. Currently no MMB BMW device will work as they all have lack of WiFi. Until a unit comes out that has dual WiFi and built in Android Auto I will stick to my solution I wrote prior.