BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Audison apbmw k4e BMW G30

01-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
adr_bimmer
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 520D

Audison apbmw k4e BMW G30

Hi, i just purchased a set of Audison APBMW K4E for my BMW G30 and I spoke with 3 different stores where 2 told me 1 thing and the other store said something different.. now i’m more confused and I don’t know what to believe.

My question is: Do I need the APBMW A4E adapter in order to install this speakers? I have the BASE sound system btw.

Any help will be much appreciated, its just that 1 store seemed to push me to get their forza amp and a bunch of other stuff when I clearly said I don’t wanna spend that much... those were the ones saying I need the adapters where the other 2 stores said they never needed an adapter and installed the speakers on 100’s of BMW as they are plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr_bimmer View Post
Hi, i just purchased a set of Audison APBMW K4E for my BMW G30 and I spoke with 3 different stores where 2 told me 1 thing and the other store said something different.. now i’m more confused and I don’t know what to believe.

My question is: Do I need the APBMW A4E adapter in order to install this speakers? I have the BASE sound system btw.

Any help will be much appreciated, its just that 1 store seemed to push me to get their forza amp and a bunch of other stuff when I clearly said I don’t wanna spend that much... those were the ones saying I need the adapters where the other 2 stores said they never needed an adapter and installed the speakers on 100’s of BMW as they are plug and play.
From I've learned all the audison bmw kit is plug and play.

I actually installed the 8.9 Forza amp in my 530d using the audsion plug and play harness.

It was very easy to install

You could simply install the audiobook speakers now

And see how they sound then add amp later

I thought the base system would be ok but within an hour of picking up the car I realised how poor the sound is

I ended up doing a full B&W retrofit!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #3
adr_bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylazy2020 View Post

I actually installed the 8.9 Forza amp in my 530d using the audsion plug and play harness.

I thought the base system would be ok but within an hour of picking up the car I realised how poor the sound is

Thats what I was thinking from what I gather you don’t need any ring adapter.
That B&W system is looking mint, I’m assuming they are original? How much did you end up paying? btw how come you didn’t go adison route as from what I gather a full system with all the speakers and amps would be better then an B&W.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thats what I was thinking from what I gather you don’t need any ring adapter.
That B&W system is looking mint, I’m assuming they are original? How much did you end up paying? btw how come you didn’t go adison route as from what I gather a full system with all the speakers and amps would be better then an B&W.
I wanted an oem look and it all started when I found the a pillar tweeters

So first plan was just to them and the front doors which was easy enough.

Then I realised I needed an amp as the amp is the head unit isn't enough at all.

So ran the audison cable from back of head unit to boot(trunk)

Then the real bitch of job was cutting the rear doors and running in a cable via oem routes.

Next step could be to try some focal K2 in the front doors

All in all between the audison Forza amp and the B&W parts(from a G32) I'd say I spent around €1200

Took me months to do it stages each night after work but so satisfying to do it your self as the best quote I got was €2800 for the audison install

I like house and tech house and from my 320kbs mps on old iPod the sound is solid.

Spotify sounds a little thinner

I need to adjust the mid range bass as the likes of The Stone Roses, Paul Wellar don't have enough bass.

From it was with base system to where it is now is night and day.

While I was at I sound proofed the doors.

Seems wrong when they tried to make the G30 100kg lighter than an F10 but helps reduce the road noise and the speakers sound better.

I have etons in the rear shelf and they sound stronger than the B&W
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #5
adr_bimmer
Rep

Quote:

Then I realised I needed an amp as the amp is the head unit isn't enough at all.

Then the real bitch of job was cutting the rear doors and running in a cable via oem routes.

All in all between the audison Forza amp and the B&W parts(from a G32) I'd say I spent around €1200

Took me months to do it stages each night after work but so satisfying to do it your self as the best quote I got was €2800 for the audison install

I like house and tech house and from my 320kbs mps on old iPod the sound is solid.

I need to adjust the mid range bass as the likes of The Stone Roses, Paul Wellar don't have enough bass.

Seems wrong when they tried to make the G30 100kg lighter than an F10 but helps reduce the road noise and the speakers sound better.

Well that was pretty cheap in the end, guess you got lucky with parts (I don't really know how tho as only the forza amp is about 1000). I didn't manage to find any cheap B&W in the Uk, what eton model did you get at the back btw?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:38 AM   #6
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well that was pretty cheap in the end, guess you got lucky with parts (I don't really know how tho as only the forza amp is about 1000). I didn't manage to find any cheap B&W in the Uk, what eton model did you get at the back btw?
After scouring the internet for ages once I had fitted the fronts I found an Italian website Rg Sound

They had the Forza amp on sale and no vat on export!

So it was around €750 with postage.

The etons were actually given to me for free from a fiend that gave up trying to fit them to his car!
B100xn

Given the weight of the magnets etons, focal or audison would probably be better that the B&W but I wanted the oem look

I'll share some pictures later of the complete install

If I were you I'd plan to get the parts cheap yourself and do it your self as it's quite easy given all the guides there are.

So worth it too.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #7
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

As you can see I had to hack out the circle for the speaker which wasn't pretty but the moulding is the same as door car without speakers.

The bit where I thought I was stuck was running speaker cable to each rear door. It just so happened I had flat speaker cable and it snuck in via the water proof harness that connects from the b pillar to the door.
Attached Images

Last edited by jaylazy2020; 01-24-2021 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #8
adr_bimmer
Rep

Quote:
As you can see I had to hack out the circle for the speaker which wasn't pretty but the moulding is the same as door car without speakers.

The bit where I thought I was stuck was running speaker cable to each rear door. It just so happened I had flat speaker cable and it snuck in via the water proof harness that connects from the b pillar to the door.
Thats a neat job, I managed to do the fronts today, gotta say it was really easy with the exception of the tweeters since I didn't have the cover I had to drill holes and that thing is soo small and I tried to make it in line with the sponge thingy inside and It gave me a bit of a headeach.... in the end I still had to take the sponge thing out and the fit was still not perfect because of those tweeter brakets but I'm satisfied enough untill I'm willing to spend some money on new tweeter houseing... I will continue to do things myself as I do love DIY and love working on my car so any help would be appreciated.

The speakers are amazing but on some ocassions with some songs and the volume all the way up they do sound a bit distorted but it may be a case of running them in ...either way next up I think I will need an AMP which is what I'm most cautious about as its not a straight swap job...more like running lines and figuring how many channels do I actually need and where to run the cables through

Another thing Is I don't know if I should really add speakers at the back doors or just replace the ones all the way at the back and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:56 PM   #9
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thats a neat job, I managed to do the fronts today, gotta say it was really easy with the exception of the tweeters since I didn't have the cover I had to drill holes and that thing is soo small and I tried to make it in line with the sponge thingy inside and It gave me a bit of a headeach.... in the end I still had to take the sponge thing out and the fit was still not perfect because of those tweeter brakets but I'm satisfied enough untill I'm willing to spend some money on new tweeter houseing... I will continue to do things myself as I do love DIY and love working on my car so any help would be appreciated.

The speakers are amazing but on some ocassions with some songs and the volume all the way up they do sound a bit distorted but it may be a case of running them in ...either way next up I think I will need an AMP which is what I'm most cautious about as its not a straight swap job...more like running lines and figuring how many channels do I actually need and where to run the cables through

Another thing Is I don't know if I should really add speakers at the back doors or just replace the ones all the way at the back and be done with it.
Good plan

I was perfectly happy with rear shelf Etons and the fronts and the Forza amp.

It's only when I started researching it and stumbled across some rear door cards from a G32 cheap on eBay that I went for it.

Cool thing is you can do it in stages.

Audison amp location is currently as per photo below as it's easy to connect the usb and change settings etc.

The audison harness is quality and all plug and play.

I used the passenger side sill to run to behind the head unit

Changing the rear shelf speakers is the easiest part on the whole car(removing the pop out grill requires patience)

So you pop them in when suits and then tackle the amp install further down the line.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:29 AM   #10
adr_bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Good plan

It's only when I started researching it and stumbled across some rear door cards from a G32 cheap on eBay that I went for it.

Audison amp location is currently as per photo below as it's easy to connect the usb and change settings etc.

Changing the rear shelf speakers is the easiest part on the whole car(removing the pop out grill requires patience)

So you pop them in when suits and then tackle the amp install further down the line.
Yeah think I’ll just order the back speakers and then do the amp when summer comes as even yesterday i had to work during the snow😂😂 and with the door cards out that was no fun...

I know the back ones are easy as I had to take them off when I changed the suspension springs... now that was a bitch to do
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:42 AM   #11
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good plan

Yeah think I’ll just order the back speakers and then do the amp when summer comes as even yesterday i had to work during the snow😂😂 and with the door cards out that was no fun...

I know the back ones are easy as I had to take them off when I changed the suspension springs... now that was a bitch to do
What springs did you fit? My car rides far too high

It's like it has x drive springs but it's not x drive!

Did you have to take out the rear shelf to to be able to change the springs?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 06:33 AM   #12
adr_bimmer
Rep

Quote:

My one is in fact xdrive, I installed a set from VOGTLAND they seem to be good, rather cheap, I know a lot of people that have them and are satisfied.

You do have to remove the rear shelf including the whole back seats(not sure if you have fixed seats or not... cause if they flip down you might not have to but my one is fixed so I had to not sure about yours but the rear shelf definitely has to be removed as thats where the bolts for the shock absorbers are located).

Btw any chance that you know if I have to remove the whole front trim to get to HU or I can just take the HU straight out as I don’t need to remove the screen as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 06:55 AM   #13
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My one is in fact xdrive, I installed a set from VOGTLAND they seem to be good, rather cheap, I know a lot of people that have them and are satisfied.

You do have to remove the rear shelf including the whole back seats(not sure if you have fixed seats or not... cause if they flip down you might not have to but my one is fixed so I had to not sure about yours but the rear shelf definitely has to be removed as thats where the bolts for the shock absorbers are located).

Btw any chance that you know if I have to remove the whole front trim to get to HU or I can just take the HU straight out as I don't need to remove the screen as well.
Few photos below that I took when running the harness from head unit to the amp.

Sorry they are not the best. Pm me if you need anything more detailed but if you did your springs I think you can run the harness with your eyes closed!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #14
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Photos posted now
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #15
adr_bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Photos posted now
Thanks for the photos, it doesn't look as complecated I will have a go later this year just need to source the parts first.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 05:15 PM   #16
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

Hi guys, quick question, I have the Hi-Fi sound, with tweeters but no rear door speakers.
Do the rear shelf Eton's improve the sound ? Or do I need to get an amp aswell ?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #17
adr_bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raduron10 View Post
Hi guys, quick question, I have the Hi-Fi sound, with tweeters but no rear door speakers.
Do the rear shelf Eton's improve the sound ? Or do I need to get an amp aswell ?
I don’t see why you’d upgrade the rear shelf before upgrading the front as even with the hi-fi system it would be way bigger improvement to change the front speakers and the tweeters before upgrading rear
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #18
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don’t see why you’d upgrade the rear shelf before upgrading the front as even with the hi-fi system it would be way bigger improvement to change the front speakers and the tweeters before upgrading rear
Fair point but lll be honest I changed my rear shelf speakers purely because it's such an easy swap and I was unsure of how to take off front door cards

Thankfully changing from door speakers has numerous videos on YouTube and is very easily done

I'm thinking of putting in the Focal K2 in place of the current B&W.

Would anyone have any thoughts on the best G30 front door speaker?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #19
adr_bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Fair point but lll be honest I changed my rear shelf speakers purely because it's such an easy swap and I was unsure of how to take off front door cards

Thankfully changing from door speakers has numerous videos on YouTube and is very easily done

I'm thinking of putting in the Focal K2 in place of the current B&W.

Would anyone have any thoughts on the best G30 front door speaker?

Thanks
From what I gathered the ones I installed (Audison apbmw k4e) are between the best if not the best ones. However they come with tweeters as a package but if you only want the door speakers I think its K4M instead of the K4E(same speakers just without tweeters).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #20
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

Quote:
The only reason I would consider swapping the rear shelf first would be the difficulty of the job for the fronts, as the door panels need to be dismantled completely, it is like BMW is trying to make any retrofit jobs harder and harder

I have found the fronts APBMW K4E for about 200 euros.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 12:28 PM   #21
adr_bimmer
Rep

Quote:
The only reason I would consider swapping the rear shelf first would be the difficulty of the job for the fronts, as the door panels need to be dismantled completely, it is like BMW is trying to make any retrofit jobs harder and harder

While the back is certainly the easiest to change the front is rather easy and takes no time... people think it’s complicated as soon as they have to take parts of the car of😂

All it is, you have to take the handle cover out, remove the 2 T20 bolts out and literally pull the door card off, it couldn’t be easier, fair warning you might brake some door clips but they are pennies on ebay and you should get a bag of them just to be on the safe side before going ahead with the job. Nothing dramatic really.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #22
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

While the back is certainly the easiest to change the front is rather easy and takes no time... people think it’s complicated as soon as they have to take parts of the car of😂

All it is, you have to take the handle cover out, remove the 2 T20 bolts out and literally pull the door card off, it couldn’t be easier, fair warning you might brake some door clips but they are pennies on ebay and you should get a bag of them just to be on the safe side before going ahead with the job. Nothing dramatic really.
I agree

Once you have done one you can do it very easily.

And it's so well made it goes back together very well
Attached Images

Appreciate 0