BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Shipping my F30 overseas to Crete, Greece

12-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
Dnardi55
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Shipping my F30 overseas to Crete, Greece

I was hoping someone out there had experience transporting there car from the States to Crete Island or possibly anywhere in Greece. I work for the DoD and will be transferring from the States to Crete, Greece in January. I have a 2013 F30 loaded with M Performance parts and was looking to sell it before moving but I've come to the realization that I am probably going to lose way too much $$$ on it. My work will pay to ship it over and there are no local taxes I would have to pay but I was also told to bring extra oil filters since they don't carry any for American spec cars, which doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I've also heard the roads are pretty crappy and the speed limit on the main highway is 50mph. I'm pretty sure there are also no BMW service centers on the island and would likely have to transport my car to Athens for service.

If I do end up transporting it overseas, does anyone have any experience or advice bringing a BMW from the States to Crete or anywhere in Greece? Is there a market out there to sell a car like this Greece? Any feedback is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

It's been 20 years since I drove in Greece, but if today is anything like it was back then, you're a brave soul bringing your car there. I just recall the lanes where narrow, the B-roads were bumpy as hell, and the gap between cars on the highway was a few feet, not car lengths. I felt like speed limits were only a suggestion. Also, watch your mirrors since lane splitting by motorcycles is almost a non-stop occurrence. It made Italy seem like a joke. I had mad respect for the Greek drivers.

BTW, this was mainly around Athens so Crete may be different.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

DOD CIVMAR with MSC and have been over there a ton of times in the last 15 yrs. The roads and drivers over there are going to be harsh on your car but driving the island will be awesome in an f30. I would say ship it, wear it out all over Crete and mainland Greece then sell it. The experience will make up for the loss in value IMO.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 03:58 AM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Greeks have built some quality roads with EU money - mainland highways and some country roads. Never been to Crete, though. Maybe check out StreetView, haha.
Appreciate 1