BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding No audio notifications with CarPlay

01-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
No audio notifications with CarPlay

Is anyone else having issues with not hearing incoming phone calls or text messages while using CarPlay? I don't have any issues with calls or dictating text messages, but I don't hear text messages or phone calls coming in even though I see them on the screen. This just started happening recently. And yes, I am running the latest version of iOS. It's been like this for the last five or six developer betas, but the release version of 13.1.1 just came out officially a few days ago and the problem is still there.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:50 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I have also experienced this, but I haven't spent time figuring out the source. I'll try pinning it down this weekend to see if there is anything I can figure out (either phone or car settings).

Since I have iDrive 7 and you have iDrive 6 I'm inclined to think this problem is on iOS side either a setting or bug.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2020, 09:53 PM   #3
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I have also experienced this, but I haven't spent time figuring out the source. I'll try pinning it down this weekend to see if there is anything I can figure out (either phone or car settings).

Since I have iDrive 7 and you have iDrive 6 I'm inclined to think this problem is on iOS side either a setting or bug.
You know it may have started right after the EVO-S firmware update for the backup camera recall. Not sure if that same update was available for iDrive 7 vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:00 AM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
You know it may have started right after the EVO-S firmware update for the backup camera recall. Not sure if that same update was available for iDrive 7 vehicles.
A similar update was available and my car was built on the first day the update was factory installed. I am at the dealer now for a software update so that hopefully my Remote 3D works and I will see if it is addressed and will report here.

I also asked about the low beam headlight instrument cluster light, but I guess that isn’t a thing on BMW cars unless it broken. I guess I should filter my questions through here first lol
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
A similar update was available and my car was built on the first day the update was factory installed. I am at the dealer now for a software update so that hopefully my Remote 3D works and I will see if it is addressed and will report here.

I also asked about the low beam headlight instrument cluster light, but I guess that isn't a thing on BMW cars unless it broken. I guess I should filter my questions through here first lol
Here is my vehicle at the dealership right now. 3D View has always worked for me, but it's always very slow. I honestly don't find this feature very useful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I use the 3D view once a while given my garage is 10 minutes away walking (and I dirve only once a week, so if I install any system it's just going to drain the battery...)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
CLP21
Rep
Drives: 2020 m550i, 2018 X5, 2014 535i

I also have this issue and more worrisome for me is the lack of 3rd party app notifications. My work notifies me of emergencies through a 3rd party app and these aren’t being pushed through CarPlay so I don’t receive a message until I’m done driving.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Here is my vehicle at the dealership right now. 3D View has always worked for me, but it's always very slow. I honestly don't find this feature very useful.
The update fixed remote 3D view and added Spotify. I'll test is and see if I notice a difference with CarPlay over the next few days.

I agree Remote 3D view isn't all that useful, but was my excuse to convince the dealer to install the latest software update. As they were sure CarPlay issues were on Apple's end (and the may very well be, but getting BMW to update their side couldn't hurt). And for me the option never showed in the app even though I have all the equipment for it since I took delivery. It shows now, but I highly doubt I'll be using it much.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 10:54 AM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The update fixed remote 3D view and added Spotify. I'll test is and see if I notice a difference with CarPlay over the next few days.

I agree Remote 3D view isn't all that useful, but was my excuse to convince the dealer to install the latest software update. As they were sure CarPlay issues were on Apple's end (and the may very well be, but getting BMW to update their side couldn't hurt). And for me the option never showed in the app even though I have all the equipment for it since I took delivery. It shows now, but I highly doubt I'll be using it much.
What was the update specifically?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
The work order simply says "Updated Vehicle Software To Latest Version Per Forman Instructions". They didn't list version numbers. But the update did fix Remote 3D View and Parking Map in Navigation.

I'll have to see if anything else is different during the weekend when I'm off work. Particularly with CarPlay.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 01:06 PM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The work order simply says "Updated Vehicle Software To Latest Version Per Forman Instructions". They didn't list version numbers. But the update did fix Remote 3D View and Parking Map in Navigation.

I'll have to see if anything else is different during the weekend when I'm off work. Particularly with CarPlay.
Thanks man. I'm sure the firmware versions are very different between iDrive 6 and 7, so it's probably something to do with iOS.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:48 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Apparently this is a known issue with iOS 13. Check out the discussion forum on Apple's website:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250644809
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 04:06 PM   #13
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Apparently this is a known issue with iOS 13. Check out the discussion forum on Apple's website:

And since November too so very annoying.

Thanks to sharing. That'll save me time trying a bunch of things for nothing this weekend. Hopefully Apple fixes it soon.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #14
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

And since November too so very annoying.

Thanks to sharing. That'll save me time trying a bunch of things for nothing this weekend. Hopefully Apple fixes it soon.
No one on the thread mentions what kind of car they have, but there's no way all of them are BMWs!
Appreciate 1