BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs Choosing cleaning products & confirming OEM wheels are aluminum

03-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
Jeremycloud
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550i

Garage List
Choosing cleaning products & confirming OEM wheels are aluminum

I’m new to learning about the beat way to detail a car, but I’m picking up my new 550xi Monday so I want to treat it right. I’ve read the wheels on the 19 550 are aluminum. Is that correct? Can anyone recommend products you’ve had success with on this type of wheel? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
Jeremycloud
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550i

Garage List
Should have checked out other posts - I’ve found some great answers there.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremycloud View Post
I’m new to learning about the beat way to detail a car, but I’m picking up my new 550xi Monday so I want to treat it right. I’ve read the wheels on the 19 550 are aluminum. Is that correct? Can anyone recommend products you’ve had success with on this type of wheel? Thanks!
Adam's "Eco Wheel Cleaner" is a pH neutral cleaner that can be used on delicate wheel finishes. Although, it's not designed to be used on neglected wheels with caked-on brake dust or heavily soiled. This product was designed as a maintenance product for normal/regular upkeep. This cleaner has a hint of baby powder scent based on my own experience in using this product.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

I've been using Megs Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner on mine - maybe every 3rd or 4th wash (just soap/water for the other washes). Cheap, works well, doesn't smell miserable.

I used Sonax Full Effect at first but couldn't stand the smell (which stuck with the car and in my garage for days even after double and triple rinsing); plus it seemed to still require lots of scrubbing to get all the brake dust off. I didn't even finish the bottle it was that bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:43 PM   #5
CharlieBravo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 M60  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I've been using Megs Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner on mine - maybe every 3rd or 4th wash (just soap/water for the other washes). Cheap, works well, doesn't smell miserable.

I used Sonax Full Effect at first but couldn't stand the smell (which stuck with the car and in my garage for days even after double and triple rinsing); plus it seemed to still require lots of scrubbing to get all the brake dust off. I didn't even finish the bottle it was that bad.
Good to know. Worst part about buying a car in the winter is stressing about cleaning it properly and keeping the salt off of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicktime View Post
Good to know. Worst part about buying a car in the winter is stressing about cleaning it properly and keeping the salt off of it.
I thankfully don't have to deal with salt anymore. But when I did, I would go to one of those coin car washes every week or two (depending on the weather) and just use the rinse setting to blast grime/salt off my car and especially the underbody. Wasn't an actual wash and definitely didn't look clean after like a real two-bucket-in-my-driveway wash, but I at least had peace of mind that the road grit/salt wasn't just sitting there on the car forever.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
CharlieBravo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 M60  [5.00]
Good call! Now to find one near me. I haven't seen one in ages.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #8
Tarenes
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hello. I wanted to ask your advice. Not so long ago I bought new covers for my old BMW E34. We have a provincial town, where there is a lot of dust, and the covers quickly got dirty. I want to buy a mini washer and a dryer for the garage to wash the covers. I think this will be the right decision. It is inexpensive and does not take up a little space in the garage.
Appreciate 0