BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding 2018 M550i - HUD show rpm??

03-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
2018 M550i - HUD show rpm??

I recently picked up a 2018 M550 as a CPO vehicle. I've noticed in the heads up display I can see things like my speed navigation information but there is no way to see gear or RPM like a tachometer.

From quickly searching it appears that perhaps my car is not capable of displaying it?

I have seen new BMWs that can display this but perhaps it's a feature only added in extremely newer cars??

I played around with the options in my menu and it does not appear to be there I'm curious if I'm just missing something or if there's a way I can code the car and add that in?

I have the sport displays going on the NAV screen which is cool but it would be nice to have the hood show just RPM if I was in sport plus mode.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I recently picked up a 2018 M550 as a CPO vehicle. I've noticed in the heads up display I can see things like my speed navigation information but there is no way to see gear or RPM like a tachometer.

From quickly searching it appears that perhaps my car is not capable of displaying it?

I have seen new BMWs that can display this but perhaps it's a feature only added in extremely newer cars??

I played around with the options in my menu and it does not appear to be there I'm curious if I'm just missing something or if there's a way I can code the car and add that in?

I have the sport displays going on the NAV screen which is cool but it would be nice to have the hood show just RPM if I was in sport plus mode.

Thx
I love the HUD, and would not buy another car without one, but the 2018 5 series (which I have) does not display the RPMs in the HUD. I had mine coded to give me the Alpina display so I always have the tach in the driver display (other than in ecopro mode which I don't use) but even that doesn't show it in the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 05:56 AM   #3
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt

Quote:

Thx
Unfortunately there is no way to add any additional option into the HUD. M vehicles have different hardware (cluster/instrument panel, HUD, ..). So we're stuck with what we have
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
B530e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760xi, 2024 BMW 530i

Garage List
2021 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2020 BMW 530e  [0.00]
Quote:

Thx
I was wondering the same thing. My mother has a 2020 740i and she has a Tachometer in her HUD however she doesn't have a M Sport or anything. I thought it was strange
      03-22-2021, 12:24 AM   #5
zilch
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by B530e View Post
I was wondering the same thing. My mother has a 2020 740i and she has a Tachometer in her HUD however she doesn't have a M Sport or anything. I thought it was strange
Is the 740i with IDrive7? If it is it can be coded.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:

Thx
I love the HUD, and would not buy another car without one, but the 2018 5 series (which I have) does not display the RPMs in the HUD. I had mine coded to give me the Alpina display so I always have the tach in the driver display (other than in ecopro mode which I don't use) but even that doesn't show it in the HUD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:

Thx
What do you mean you always have the tachometer in the Driver display? I've always got a big tachometer on the gauge cluster no matter what mood I'm in it just changes color.

I'll have to plug in my coding tool and see if I can find the Alpena gauges I've seen pictures of them I have to honestly say I like the stock gauges I've seen the brand new car that has the digital gauge cluster with the updated BMW gauges where the tachometer goes up the side of the car and honestly I don't care for that I like the display in the original M5 50 that looks like regular gauges, just digital.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:34 PM   #7
B530e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760xi, 2024 BMW 530i

Garage List
2021 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2020 BMW 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by B530e View Post
Is the 740i with IDrive7? If it is it can be coded.
Yes it is iDrive 7