BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Retrofitting parts questions

01-05-2020, 01:14 AM   #1
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Retrofitting parts questions

I recently purchased some ceramic controls (iDrive controller, shifter and climate control) from a donor car in order to retrofit. I'm wondering if I can just plug-and-play them (i.e. remove old and swap with ceramic) or do I need to do VO/VIN coding, etc. via E-Sys? I remember replacing the FRM on my old E90 with a donor unit (FRM1 to FRM3) and I had to update the firmware and then code it to my VO/VIN. Do I need to do the same for these three components on my G30?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

You should not need to. None of the ceramic pieces are a “control unit” in the G30, so they should all just be direct plug and play. The only one that may need a minute or two to update is if you got the Touch Panel version of the climate controls, as it will have to refresh with what options your car has (like heated/cooled seats, ambient air, etc.) vs what the donor car had. But no coding should be required for any of those pieces.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:50 PM   #3
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
You should not need to. None of the ceramic pieces are a “control unit” in the G30, so they should all just be direct plug and play. The only one that may need a minute or two to update is if you got the Touch Panel version of the climate controls, as it will have to refresh with what options your car has (like heated/cooled seats, ambient air, etc.) vs what the donor car had. But no coding should be required for any of those pieces.
Thanks. I figured the iDrive controller and shifter weren't control modules as you mentioned and would not require coding. However, as you noted, I did get the touchscreen version of the climate control unit, so I suppose I would need to VO code just that module? I have a US spec car and aside from the M5, I'm pretty sure no other US G3x came with the touchscreen climate control. I have heated seats, but not cooled and obviously no ambient air.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

No, you don't need to do any coding. The Touch Screen Climate Module is also plug and play. It will just take a couple minutes to "refresh". I ordered one for my G30 which is coming next month, and in the interim, I put it in my G01 X3 since the panels are the same. At first, it showed the buttons for the cooled seats, which I don't have in the X3, but I assume the donor G30 car did. After I turned the car off and turned it back on a few minutes later, the display buttons for the cooled seats went away, meaning it just needed a few minutes to sync and refresh from the car what options were present.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:54 PM   #5
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, you don't need to do any coding. The Touch Screen Climate Module is also plug and play. It will just take a couple minutes to "refresh". I ordered one for my G30 which is coming next month, and in the interim, I put it in my G01 X3 since the panels are the same. At first, it showed the buttons for the cooled seats, which I don't have in the X3, but I assume the donor G30 car did. After I turned the car off and turned it back on a few minutes later, the display buttons for the cooled seats went away, meaning it just needed a few minutes to sync and refresh from the car what options were present.
Awesome. That's good to hear. Thanks for your insight!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
nunosa
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 2018 G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
Quote:
Awesome. That's good to hear. Thanks for your insight!
Can you help and give me the part numbers of that

Touch control climate

Also it is possible to change the front seats from the m5 to a regular g31

Thx
      01-15-2020, 05:38 AM   #7
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunosa View Post
Can you help and give me the part numbers of that

Touch control climate

Also it is possible to change the front seats from the m5 to a regular g31

Thx
The P/Ns I used are:
Shifter: 794769301
iDrive: 65829490076
Climate: 6993496

I purchased a set of them (all three) on eBay from a donor car for around $650 USD.

Most likely possible assuming you can source all the required components. However, I cannot confirm or deny as I haven't tried it.
Appreciate 0