BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Quick Notice-Diesel Engines

02-10-2022, 05:42 AM   #23
MikeyMike7
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepitko View Post
Just out of curiosity, is your car stock or do you have a ECU tune?
Completely stock
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:44 AM   #24
MikeyMike7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaby View Post
Maybe you have a strong delay because of a clogged intake manifold.
Did you already remove the intake manifold to check the carbon build up?
I don't think there is a delay. The sensor just gives the impression that the valves go further open than was learned by the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #25
babyfaby
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 530D G30/Z4 E86 3.0SI/320i E30

I'm more impressed on the graph by the delay than the position of the valve when fully opened. You definitely should remove the intake to check the carbon buildup. If it's not so dirty or clogged so the trick of the screw (post #19) should work.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 09:35 PM   #26
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Thanks to all the info on this thread, I changed out my intake manifold. Took me (average clueless guy) and a mechanic friend (who doesnt work on beemers) about 2 1⁄2 hrs.

I add miller's fuel additive/ redex with every tank, and use a fuel system cleaner every 6-7k. Car's oil was changed a few thousand miles before BMW's recommended. I do 200 miles weekly, mainly motorway.

Engine Light came on at 40k miles, car is 4yrs old. There were carbon deposits around the actuator area and quite a bit of play in the actuator arm. I drove another 5k before changing out the manifold.

I was surprised by the amount of carbon build up. A couple of mm coating on the intake ports, but a considerable amount in the manifold and on the flaps. The EGR also had a healthy coating on it.
I cleaned out what could, spray Liqui Moly intake cleaner into the ports and the EGR cooler, then fitted the replacement manifold. Engine light disappeared within a day. The rest of the Liqui Moly cleaner was put through the throttle body a few days later.

Replacement manifold was in exchange for my battered one. Bought from PMG Technik, Germany for about £230. They provide a reconditioned one which looks almost new and addressed a few of the issues, thicker shaft, stronger actuator arm, bearings to reduce play. Its a fair price compared to having your own one reconditioned (leaving you without a car for 1-2wks).

PMG Technik happily ship across Europe, apart from the UK due to Brexit. I got round this by signing up to a German reshipping company like mailboxde.com. Had it sent there, then shipped it to myself (£25). Be sure to declare its value at 10-20 quid, or else youre paying 20% vat. PMG reimbursed me the shipping fee.

My has fresh oil in it, but still seem to have a slight vibration coming through the steering wheel when idling with a slight droning sound. Hoping this will go away by itself now, unless there's something i ought to check?

Last edited by mittu; 04-04-2022 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2022, 10:35 AM   #27
babyfaby
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 530D G30/Z4 E86 3.0SI/320i E30

Crazy you had this problem so early. 40k miles is nothing...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 04:51 AM   #28
540d
Rep
Drives: 2018 540d

Just found this thread. In the US there is a recall now on the 540d which of course is the same car as the 530d discussed in this thread. They will replace the EGR cooler and intake. It's still listed as "remedy unavailable" but it's there. I wonder if you can get reimbursed for the work you did.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 07:34 AM   #29
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d Xdrive G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540d View Post
Just found this thread. In the US there is a recall now on the 540d which of course is the same car as the 530d discussed in this thread. They will replace the EGR cooler and intake. It's still listed as "remedy unavailable" but it's there. I wonder if you can get reimbursed for the work you did.
Hello! That's nice! Here in Europe some early production 7 series(G11) had a recall on the EGR and intake manifold, but the 5 series, it never had. 2 months ago I saw a post on the 7 series forum, about an EGR recall due to fire risk. Fast forward 3 weeks ago, received a notification about the same recall, and I went to the dealership to get it done. Also, it seems that the recall includes module upgrades for the whole car!

But the intake manifold it's just utter mess how it has been designed. Since I paid for it and got a new one, I have checking all the places/clues for carbon deposits (2/3 times a month), just to catch it before it throws again a CEL. I am checking it also by live ECU data.

The first one started with a slight vibration through the steering wheel, but as a diesel owner(4 diesel cars) it didn't matter too much for me, as it was inconstant throughout the day/trips. Fast forward to this day, it seems that vibration is little by little ramping up again, so the new intake manifold it may be going the same direction. First intake held up approx 54k miles(86k km). I have now approx 80k miles(130k km).

For me, the intake meets the criteria of suspension bushings . Wearable item. It's just poorly designed and the problem won't be resolved until BMW, does something with the shaft, the play of the shaft and the last flap position: . I saw in 2 years 4 new intake manifolds, new part numbers but the problem still exists.

Even intakes which are squeaky clean at 50-80k miles, just wear out.

Also the dealership, change intake manifolds, at least in my region, at a rate of 2/3 cars/week.

I'll keep the thread updated as I know something about the intakes, recalls, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #30
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Ive driven 5000 miles since. I thought it was just my car which has a slight steering wheel vibration at idle after changing manifold. I dont get how the intake manifold could cause this unless its related to the vacum lines/ resonance. Will look in to it at a later date.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 02:08 PM   #31
chrisbmwcy
Second Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 2016 DCT Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittu View Post
Thanks to all the info on this thread, I changed out my intake manifold. Took me (average clueless guy) and a mechanic friend (who doesnt work on beemers) about 2 1⁄2 hrs.

I add miller's fuel additive/ redex with every tank, and use a fuel system cleaner every 6-7k. Car's oil was changed a few thousand miles before BMW's recommended. I do 200 miles weekly, mainly motorway.

Engine Light came on at 40k miles, car is 4yrs old. There were carbon deposits around the actuator area and quite a bit of play in the actuator arm. I drove another 5k before changing out the manifold.

I was surprised by the amount of carbon build up. A couple of mm coating on the intake ports, but a considerable amount in the manifold and on the flaps. The EGR also had a healthy coating on it.
I cleaned out what could, spray Liqui Moly intake cleaner into the ports and the EGR cooler, then fitted the replacement manifold. Engine light disappeared within a day. The rest of the Liqui Moly cleaner was put through the throttle body a few days later.

Replacement manifold was in exchange for my battered one. Bought from PMG Technik, Germany for about £230. They provide a reconditioned one which looks almost new and addressed a few of the issues, thicker shaft, stronger actuator arm, bearings to reduce play. Its a fair price compared to having your own one reconditioned (leaving you without a car for 1-2wks).

PMG Technik happily ship across Europe, apart from the UK due to Brexit. I got round this by signing up to a German reshipping company like mailboxde.com. Had it sent there, then shipped it to myself (£25). Be sure to declare its value at 10-20 quid, or else youre paying 20% vat. PMG reimbursed me the shipping fee.

My has fresh oil in it, but still seem to have a slight vibration coming through the steering wheel when idling with a slight droning sound. Hoping this will go away by itself now, unless there's something i ought to check?
Thanks for the info.
Have same issue on my 530d G30 2017

I had my swirl flaps actuator replaced due to check engine light (intake manifold air control actuator position/sensor switch bank 1 voltage low) and after a couple of weeks the check engine light re-appeared with same error code.

I have ordered now to replace the manifolds from PMG Technik, waiting to arrive to have them fitted. I am curious to see what it is all about how they are really re in-forced and why they offer 5 y warranty .

Are you happy with yours? How are they holding up?

Past: F36 430d Gran Coupe M-Sport Alpine White - DMS Remap, E92 320d Crismson Red M-Sport, R56 Mini Cooper S. Mazda RX8 Type-S Japan Import, E46 320ci LCI Convertible M-Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 11:41 PM   #32
Jartsa
Rep
Drives: G12 740e

Someone installed PMG intake already? I have G12 with 211000km and I think I need to do something for the intake...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 12:06 AM   #33
iliannavy
Rep
Drives: bmw f10

swirl flaps actuator actuator position/sensor switch bank 1 voltage low)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbmwcy View Post
Thanks for the info.
Have same issue on my 530d G30 2017

I had my swirl flaps actuator replaced due to check engine light (intake manifold air control actuator position/sensor switch bank 1 voltage low) and after a couple of weeks the check engine light re-appeared with same error code.

I have ordered now to replace the manifolds from PMG Technik, waiting to arrive to have them fitted. I am curious to see what it is all about how they are really re in-forced and why they offer 5 y warranty .

Are you happy with yours? How are they holding up?
Good day.
I have same issue as you.How did you solve the problem.What is your suggestion to check.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 01:55 AM   #34
MikeyMike7
Rep

I have changed my intake manifold for a refurbished one. The error is gone but the manifold leaks a bit from the swirl valve axle 🤬 The lowest sensor value is still lower than the last learned value but probably not low enough to trigger an error?

The manifold was supposed to be refurbished by PMG Technik but it is just cleaned it seems.
So now I ordered a new manifold from BMW.

Crappy design by BMW this intake sensor issue, just as the sunroof rubbers that whistle at higher speed and make a squeeky noise at every bump just after 3 years of lifetime.
Also my engine supports were broken after 160k km.

I really don't understand that these quality brand cars nowadays have these issues after 3-4 years..
I am quite reluctant to see what happens to the all electric ones after 4 years...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 01:29 AM   #35
Vanesso
Finland
Rep
Drives: G31 540xd

Hello.
Can anyone advise me on how to accurately take out the rod and swirl flaps out from the manifold without breaking the flaps? My plan is to reinstall them after some experiment.

Only that I could find is a video in German, see the link below, but I poorly could understand the way he did it. Please help!

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 04:31 AM   #36
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbodieselRO View Post
Hello! That's nice! Here in Europe some early production 7 series(G11) had a recall on the EGR and intake manifold, but the 5 series, it never had.
You may want to do a bit more research on that bit of information, as what you have stated is not actually correct.

My friend very nearly had his 520D go up in flames, and an idependant garage asked if he had a rodent issue where thcar was kept.
I sent him a few links, so it got transported to a main BMW dealer.

£5k later (which BMW put their hands up to) and despite his not being subject to a recall as such, the issue was obviously the know one.

https://car-recalls.eu/bmw-egr-recall-glycol/
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 01:48 AM   #37
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d g30

Yeah, I had this done as a part of a recall a year ago on 520d.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 08:09 AM   #38
bimz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 Series G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonD View Post
You may want to do a bit more research on that bit of information, as what you have stated is not actually correct.

My friend very nearly had his 520D go up in flames, and an idependant garage asked if he had a rodent issue where thcar was kept.

£5k later (which BMW put their hands up to) and despite his not being subject to a recall as such, the issue was obviously the know one.

https://car-recalls.eu/bmw-egr-recall-glycol/

I'm literally experiencing a similar issue currently (G30 67 plate), over the weekend the drivetrain notification appeared and instantly smoke from the engine bay and car turned off...my mechanic said pretty much all the plastic under the manifold had melted and very likely due to a faulty EGR cooler - he wasnt keen to delve deeper but said most components connecting showed signs of thermal damage...i've transported it to BMW but abit apprehensive on how easy it's going to be for them to take ownership of the problem - did your friend have an easy experience with getting them to make the repairs?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 01:49 AM   #39
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

what's the difference between the TDI and the gasoline engine in this regard (carbon build up on the intake manifold)?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 10:26 AM   #40
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d Xdrive G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbodieselRO View Post
Hello! That's nice! Here in Europe some early production 7 series(G11) had a recall on the EGR and intake manifold, but the 5 series, it never had.
Quote:

https://car-recalls.eu/bmw-egr-recall-glycol/"]https://car-recalls.eu/bmw-egr-recall-glycol/"]https://car-recalls.eu/bmw-egr-recall-glycol/[/URL][/URL]

As a reply to SonD. I was talking about early production 2015/2016 7 series. It is true that I wasn’t specific enough at the moment. As of April 2023 all diesel G-models even 50D are in for a complete exchange of the EGR. Switching from KORENS to BorgWarner as a producer.
When I wrote the message there weren’t any recalls officially neither on BMW site, nor on the dealer’s platform(only in late august some software updates for fire protection). Only specific VIN numbers were included. But in 2015/2016/2017 only some Vin numbers were selected, the other ones were with an INFO tag on them(see this thread as I explained.

Please note that recalls can be country specific(RDE Emissions and so on), “continent” specific(EGR, intakes, a lot of examples from BMW) or global recalls(eg: DieselGate/Takata airbags).

Have a nice day!

Extra edit: in this April 2023 recall all existing EGR(KORENS) are covered by a 15 year warranty, for the EGR itself and the damage it can cause
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 01:17 AM   #41
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike7 View Post

I really don't understand that these quality brand cars nowadays have these issues after 3-4 years..
I am quite reluctant to see what happens to the all electric ones after 4 years...
it's called planned obsolescence

things are not meant to last beyond warranty period

case in point: lifetime transmission fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 07:31 PM   #42
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
it's called planned obsolescence

things are not meant to last beyond warranty period

case in point: lifetime transmission fluid.
I know an engineer that said any engineer that could accurately predict when a part would fail would be a gazillionair!

All manufacturers use the "lifetime fluid" scam to be able to claim low maintenance costs. Like their free scheduled maintenance. They will only change fluids when the car tells them the fluid needs to be changed.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 08:45 PM   #43
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I know an engineer that said any engineer that could accurately predict when a part would fail would be a gazillionair!

All manufacturers use the "lifetime fluid" scam to be able to claim low maintenance costs. Like their free scheduled maintenance. They will only change fluids when the car tells them the fluid needs to be changed.
if you do enough R&D you will know the minimum that the part will last, but not when it will fail.

if you do enough engineering, you can engineer when you want a part to fail. that is possible but cynical.

from what i see you just make them last past the warranty period, it's not hard to do. these R&D labs are like insurance companies. full of data and money.

obviously if you don't do R&D then you have no idea how long a part will last or when it will fail, that is also possible.

Last edited by G30M; 05-21-2023 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 07:39 PM   #44
pault1980
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 530D

My G30 530D is now showing a recall for EGR cooler replacement here in Australia.. Had the DDE software recall late last year which supposedly was related but seems that must've just been a stopgap. No complaints - hopefully gets me a new intake manifold at the same time!
Appreciate 0