BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding 3D Remote Problem

01-09-2019, 07:53 AM   #23
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2019 i3 REX, 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
My remote 3D View is working tonight.
Confirmed!! Just tried it and it works. Thank you for the update.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #24
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Any my Remote 3D view is also working now. My car also magically reappeared in the Connected App yesterday (although I never did receive the BMW Message with activation code).

In any event everything in the App seems to be working today (although the details of my "Last Ride" in the eDRIVE menu did not update for this morning's commute (still showing yesterday at 6:59 pm as my last trip) - a recurring issue which seems unrelated to the other issues). Hopefully everything will continue to work for the foreseeable future and hopefully BMW will improve app support for Canadian customers (maybe even give us access to the BMW Geniuses).

Thanks to all who weighed in on this subject (and at least let me know the problems were not unique to my car).

Cheers.

Ps. Enjoy your Bimmer clee1982.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #25
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2019 i3 REX, 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyP View Post
Any my Remote 3D view is also working now. My car also magically reappeared in the Connected App yesterday (although I never did receive the BMW Message with activation code).

In any event everything in the App seems to be working today (although the details of my "Last Ride" in the eDRIVE menu did not update for this morning's commute (still showing yesterday at 6:59 pm as my last trip) - a recurring issue which seems unrelated to the other issues). Hopefully everything will continue to work for the foreseeable future and hopefully BMW will improve app support for Canadian customers (maybe even give us access to the BMW Geniuses).

Thanks to all who weighed in on this subject (and at least let me know the problems were not unique to my car).

Cheers.

Ps. Enjoy your Bimmer clee1982.
Glad to hear you're back in business.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #26
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Just called the BMW genius, they claim another outage began this last Friday 1/11/2019. As of now, I'm still receiving the "Service Cannot Be Performed" error message when attempting to send a climatize command to the car via the BMW Connected app. Unfortunately, BMW does not have a simple platform status page, so it's really unclear what's going on with their services.

Was wondering if I'm the only one still having this issue? I'm located in the SF Bay Area, if that makes any difference.

I have already restarted my iPhone and also logged in and out of the BMW Connected app.
      01-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #27
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

The app works very intermittently for me. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Even when it does it's slow as hell. I have to stare at my screen for 2 minutes just to unlock the doors? If my phone's display goes to sleep while waiting for the command to complete, I have to start over again. The whole thing feels like a 2005 era smartphone app, and is unworthy of the BMW badge.
The only reason I haven't called customer care is because I don't have the free time to deal with it.
My advice to anyone having this problem is to bring the car to the dealership, leave it there, ask for a loaner, etc...basically treat it like any other defect. It's a feature that was sold with the car, so same warranty rules should apply.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #28
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
The app works very intermittently for me. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Even when it does it's slow as hell. I have to stare at my screen for 2 minutes just to unlock the doors? If my phone's display goes to sleep while waiting for the command to complete, I have to start over again. The whole thing feels like a 2005 era smartphone app, and is unworthy of the BMW badge.
The only reason I haven't called customer care is because I don't have the free time to deal with it.
My advice to anyone having this problem is to bring the car to the dealership, leave it there, ask for a loaner, etc...basically treat it like any other defect. It's a feature that was sold with the car, so same warranty rules should apply.
There is nothing the dealer can do about this. Plus it really has nothing to do with your particular vehicle. If it's a backend infrastructure problem (which it clearly is) it's up to BMW to get their service working correctly.

I do agree with you that it takes entirely too long for basic-type functions. I used to work for General Motors and while their iPhone app is not very good, the remote unlock feature works in seconds - not minutes.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 11:14 PM   #29
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
works now for me, yea, not sure what the back end infrastructure for BMW is, but all of the BMW connect drive stuff seems very slow, maybe they're triple authenticating something...
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #30
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
works now for me, yea, not sure what the back end infrastructure for BMW is, but all of the BMW connect drive stuff seems very slow, maybe they're triple authenticating something...
I've tried to use the remote unlocking feature on multiple vehicles and it's always been really slow spanning several years. It's a good bet that if you launch it you will probably find your keys before the command completes!
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-21-2019, 02:23 AM   #31
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
I've tried to use the remote unlocking feature on multiple vehicles and it's always been really slow spanning several years. It's a good bet that if you launch it you will probably find your keys before the command completes!
Isn't the whole point that remote app features are designed only as in the case of an emergency (remote access)? That's how they market it too. If your are next to the car, then why would anyone ever want to use the app.

I should also add that over here in the UK, we don't have the same issues of outage that you guys experience.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2019, 03:27 AM   #32
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Isn't the whole point that remote app features are designed only as in the case of an emergency (remote access)? That's how they market it too. If your are next to the car, then why would anyone ever want to use the app.

I should also add that over here in the UK, we don't have the same issues of outage that you guys experience.
You lost your keys. The keys were accidentally locked inside the vehicle. Had too much to drink and left your keys with the valet. There are plenty of reasons to be able to unlock your doors remotely. It's a convenience feature it should be faster like it is on most every other vehicle in the world.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 03:34 AM   #33
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You lost your keys. The keys were accidentally locked inside the vehicle. Had too much to drink and left your keys with the valet. There are plenty of reasons to be able to unlock your doors remotely. It's a convenience feature it should be faster like it is on most every other vehicle in the world.
All those scenarios you explain are not everyday occurrences. That's why I really don't get the urgency when it comes to how long for commands to execute. I'd rather have a secure system when it's remote.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2019, 03:37 AM   #34
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All those scenarios you explain are not everyday occurrences. That's why I really don't get the urgency when it comes to how long for commands to execute. I'd rather have a secure system when it's remote.
It wouldn't be any less secure if it was faster. Every other car manufacturer in the world offers this feature and it only takes a few seconds.

Here is another example. Sometimes it takes three or four minutes for the remote 3D view to activate. If I need to look at something in my vehicle in a hurry (like I heard a noise and thought something might be breaking into the vehicle) this would not be an acceptable time to wait. Another example is you're walking to your car and you see someone with a gun and you want to flash your lights or honk the horn, it takes so long it's ineffective.

These are not issues with the key fob. I do realize it has to go across Internet to work; however, as a previous employee of GM (network security), I can tell you that it's no less secure if it's fast. I had to work day in and day out with the OnStar team to make sure the network was fast and secure enough for these types of commands. I think you understand my point.
Appreciate 2
ADS-UK498.50
clee1982796.00
      01-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #35
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
yup, it's definitely on the slow end...
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #36
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

The reason I suggested to bring it to the dealer is because that's the only way to have a documented record of something not working 100% with the product. You purchased a car whose advertised feature was the remote app. If it's not working then you're not getting something you paid for. It's the same as the heated seat not working, in my book.
Leave the car with the dealer, let them try to fix it and if they can't you look into lemon law options — now you'll have service history.
Appreciate 1