BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New 530D delivered - Short review and pictures

05-17-2017, 06:40 AM   #1
roadske
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series 2017

New 530D delivered - Short review and pictures

Hi all,

Been reading this forum for the last 6 months since I started looking into purchasing either a Mercedes E or BMW 5 series. Figured its my turn to contribute a bit.

Quick intro
I live in Denmark where we pay about 175% extra tax on cars, so you essentially pay for 2-3 cars when you purchase one. Premium brands are therefore not that common, and the car we would decide to purchase would be one we would keep for at least 5 years. I looked into getting a new car as our current was simply too small now that we've got a child. (Mercedes CLA). The wife also insisted it be a sedan, as she simply doesn't like the look of stationcars (Lucky me!). After much consideration it quickly ended up being between the new Mercedes E class and the new BMW 5 series.

Why BMW 5 series?
The new E class was a very nice car and was the first one i test drove. The interior/exterior looks good, but no matter how I looked at it, it just didn't do it for me. The best way I can describe it is, it felt like I was getting into a large car to drive around in, where as the new BMW 5 was like putting on a nice fitted suit - once you get in, it wraps around you and becomes a part of you. I know this is completely a personal choice, so I won't go into detail more then that, but obviously there were many different reasons why it ended up being the 5 series.

Specs
BMW 5 series 530D
Black Sapphire
M sport
Aluminum exterior trim
M sport interior trim
Nav pro
Digital display
Harmon Kardon
Black Dakota with blue stitching
Parking assistant plus
2 zone climate
Head up display
Auto sport - paddles
Adaptive LED Icon
Ambient lightning
Heat in steering wheel / front / rear seats
Driving assistant plus
20" 759i rims
Tinted windows (Not from factory)

Waiting for M Performance exhaust/sound for 530D - should be available this summer

Delivery!
We got the car on monday afternoon - all ready to go. Its my first BMW, so I figured the intro would be long. It ended up taking just 20-30 minutes. All in all I think its very easy to use the iDrive system.

Thouhts so far
Oh my. The engine sound and power is simply phenomenal. I haven't really accelerated hard yet, but its just smooth as can be. I've never driven a diesel, but it really doesn't sound like one. The interior is also very very nicely put together. All in all its a real head-turned and I simply love driving it.

The one thing that surprises me the most, is the automated driving/cruise control. I really thought that it would be mostly a gimmick, and we mainly purchased that package to get all the security features, but already now after 2 days, I've been using it a lot. Its easy to turn on/off and seems to work really good with the Danish roads at least.

Attached a few photos. If you have questions, just let me know.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-17-2017, 06:49 AM   #2
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Congratulations! It looks terrific.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 06:50 AM   #3
roadske
Rep

Forgot to add following to the spec list - Comfort Access / Electric tailgate. Can't figure out how to edit the thread!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
RamboUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01) xDrive20i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadske View Post
Hi all,

Been reading this forum for the last 6 months since I started looking into purchasing either a Mercedes E or BMW 5 series. Figured its my turn to contribute a bit.

Quick intro
I live in Denmark where we pay about 175% extra tax on cars, so you essentially pay for 2-3 cars when you purchase one. Premium brands are therefore not that common, and the car we would decide to purchase would be one we would keep for at least 5 years. I looked into getting a new car as our current was simply too small now that we've got a child. (Mercedes CLA). The wife also insisted it be a sedan, as she simply doesn't like the look of stationcars (Lucky me!). After much consideration it quickly ended up being between the new Mercedes E class and the new BMW 5 series.

Why BMW 5 series?
The new E class was a very nice car and was the first one i test drove. The interior/exterior looks good, but no matter how I looked at it, it just didn't do it for me. The best way I can describe it is, it felt like I was getting into a large car to drive around in, where as the new BMW 5 was like putting on a nice fitted suit - once you get in, it wraps around you and becomes a part of you. I know this is completely a personal choice, so I won't go into detail more then that, but obviously there were many different reasons why it ended up being the 5 series.

Specs
BMW 5 series 530D
Black Sapphire
M sport
Aluminum exterior trim
M sport interior trim
Nav pro
Digital display
Harmon Kardon
Parking assistant plus
2 zone climate
Head up display
Auto sport - paddles
Adaptive LED Icon
Ambient lightning
Driving assistant plus
20" 759i rims

Waiting for M Performance exhaust/sound for 530D - should be available this summer

Delivery!
We got the car on monday afternoon - all ready to go. Its my first BMW, so I figured the intro would be long. It ended up taking just 20-30 minutes. All in all I think its very easy to use the iDrive system.

Thouhts so far
Oh my. The engine sound and power is simply phenomenal. I haven't really accelerated hard yet, but its just smooth as can be. I've never driven a diesel, but it really doesn't sound like one. The interior is also very very nicely put together. All in all its a real head-turned and I simply love driving it.

The one thing that surprises me the most, is the automated driving/cruise control. I really thought that it would be mostly a gimmick, and we mainly purchased that package to get all the security features, but already now after 2 days, I've been using it a lot. Its easy to turn on/off and seems to work really good with the Danish roads at least.

Wow looks great congratulations

I have ordered the 530I i havent had a petrol car for a long time but due to all this toxic tax in the UK i thought to be safe for now go for the Petrol

Enjoy your drive
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

How do you find the ride ? also, the car is an MSport but in the pictures it seems to sit quite high: do you have variable dampers (with or without active anti-roll bars) ?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
roadske
Rep

It does have M-sport suspension - only 10mm lowered from what i've read? I atleast havent spec'ed it to be removed. Is there an easy way to check, besides asking the dealer? There isnt VDC added and I was a bit worried about adding 20" without it, but to be honest, it runs quite nice. You can feel the road, but its not teeth clattering or anything. I'll be using the standard 18" sport rims for winter tyres.

All in all i'm very satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
sdreisei
pro
Austria
Rep
Drives: 530d xDrive G30

Your 5-series looks great! Could you post some interieur pics of your´s? I´ve ordered mine in the same color combo interieur but in alpine white outside!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #8
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Perfect and nice car man! GZ!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Congrats, that's a nice car indeed
Happy Driving
      05-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Congrats!
Great to hear 20" wheels combined with (704) M Sport suspension does not feel like driving on bricks I am a little bit worried as I ordered 20" 668M wheels and went with M Sport suspension.

Rears seem to sit a bit higher than other G30s i saw with m sport suspension but that might be due to the angle of your photos.

If you do not want to rely on dealer's word, you can VIN decode online and see with which options your car come from factory.

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #11
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Congrats, and welcome to to forum. Very nice G30 and I'd really like that engine too if I were to get a G30.
Must have cost you lots of kroner though.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #12
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Beautiful G30!

Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Thanks for the review, makes me want mine sooner....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #14
roadske
Rep

Thanks everyone.

I've taken some interior photos here this evening - enjoy.

And yes - lots of kroner. Too many - but you only live once

Oh, and i also have leather dash. As you can see, the blue stitching doesnt appear on this, but in all honesty, I'm happy about that, as i prefer the black on the actual dash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK436.00
      05-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Beautiful car - great review and I specially like your choice on alu trim externally. Enjoy!! You've really got my juices running for my 530d to come in a few days!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #16
RamboUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01) xDrive20i M Sport

That looks lush is that ambient lighting on the automatic gear stick?

Looks good or is it a reflection?

i test drove during the day so couldnt tell how the ambient lighting looked

i love looking at the interior its sooooo goood
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #17
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboUK View Post
That looks lush is that ambient lighting on the automatic gear stick?

Looks good or is it a reflection?

i test drove during the day so couldnt tell how the ambient lighting looked

i love looking at the interior its sooooo goood
I think you're right - it's the reflection of the ambient light from the roofline.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #18
sdreisei
pro
Austria
Rep
Drives: 530d xDrive G30

Thank you for the pics of the interieur. Look´s awesome. Mine will look completly the same as yours exept that i´ve the ceramic control´s in the interieur. Everything else will be the same.

In my opinion, this is the most beautiful and most sporty color combination for the interieur!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 07:57 AM   #19
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

I have been test driving the 5 series this week. The ride on 20" M-Sport suspension is good but on VDC it is sublime.

For me i would spec VDC on 20" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 08:35 AM   #20
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadske View Post
Hi all,

Quick intro

Why BMW 5 series?

Specs
BMW 5 series 530D
Black Sapphire
M sport
Aluminum exterior trim
M sport interior trim
Nav pro
Digital display
Harmon Kardon
Parking assistant plus
2 zone climate
Head up display
Auto sport - paddles
Adaptive LED Icon
Ambient lightning
Driving assistant plus
20" 759i rims

Delivery!

Thouhts so far

Congrats bro! Very nice build.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0