BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 530i tuning 2020

08-25-2023, 08:14 PM   #1
Sav0101
Rep
Drives: 530i

530i tuning 2020

Hi all,

Have few questions. I am new to mods so have less expereince.

1) i bought a car from dealership 530i build 2020 and released feb 2021 with mods. High flow catted downpipe and ipe exhaust. I had to remove pod open filter and put in the stock due to regulations in australia.

2) is there a way to know if it is tuned ?

3 ) i am getting notiification for remote software upgrade, if it is tuned. Will it erase the tune and do stock tune itself ? If so is it worth doing ? And will stock tune fry up the computer or anything ?

Note i dont have access to prwvious owner.

Thanks for help.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 05:43 PM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav0101 View Post
2) is there a way to know if it is tuned ?
I recommend reaching out to Pro Tuning Freaks (PTF) tech support; they make Bootmod3. As I recall, you should be able to download their app and use it to see if your DME is unlocked without having to purchase a license. If it's unlocked, PTF may be able to tell you if you can check for and possibly identify an existing tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav0101 View Post
3 ) i am getting notification for remote software upgrade, if it is tuned. Will it erase the tune and do stock tune itself ? If so is it worth doing ? And will stock tune fry up the computer or anything ?
If your car has a DME unlock/tune, then upgrading the software will definitely erase the tune and re-lock the DME. Especially if you don't know what tune is on there now, upgrading the software would at least restore the car to a known state but it would also erase any previous DME tunes or coding. One can never guarantee this but a stock tune shouldn't damage the car, although the downpipe may then throw a CEL that was masked by the previous tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 06:35 PM   #3
Sav0101
Rep

Thanks mate.

I don't have the right tools to look at it but I am taking it to someone to have a look.

The pervious owner had blocked the O2 sensors so likely the lights will not come on.

I contacted bmw dealer and they said they will get back to me what sort of software update it is, they said if it is only idrive update, then it should not affect tune.

I had the remove open pod filter which the guy had installed before as it is illegal here and had to change the resonator to bring the noise under 90db.

Also, with tuning does that affect the longevity of the engine and car or it does not affect and remains same ?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 06:45 PM   #4
Sav0101
Rep

I just got a message from BMW saying it is BM3 Tune from MRD performance and the software update will not affect the car or tune.
Appreciate 0