BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 530d def regeneration

01-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Salop67
Rep
Drives: G30 530D SE

G30 530d def regeneration

Got a new 530 d which I am delighted with except for one thing.
I have just returned from a 100 mile round trip and on reaching home and turning off the engine the cooling fans were running and I could smell that a forced regeneration was going on.
My understanding is that the dpf cleans itself when running at high speed(motorway) and it is only when the dpf becomes blocked after a lot of short journeys that extra fuel is injected into the dpf and a forced regeneration occurs.
Why would the car start a forced regeneration towards the end of a lengthy and mostly fast(over 60 mph) journey?
I thought it would be useful to ask on here before a trip to the dealer. I guess they will tell me there is nothing wrong with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salop67 View Post
I have just returned from a 100 mile round trip and on reaching home and turning off the engine the cooling fans were running and I could smell that a forced regeneration was going on.
My understanding is that the dpf cleans itself when running at high speed(motorway) and it is only when the dpf becomes blocked after a lot of short journeys that extra fuel is injected into the dpf and a forced regeneration occurs.
Why would the car start a forced regeneration towards the end of a lengthy and mostly fast(over 60 mph) journey?
I thought it would be useful to ask on here before a trip to the dealer. I guess they will tell me there is nothing wrong with it.
Not sure how the latest DPF strategy is working in all conditions. Could simply be the EGU had decided the soot loading was too high and triggered an active regeneration.

I know when I had my 330d, I had that sort of thing happen. One occasion I'd driven over 100 miles, and about a mile before I got to my hotel, went into a regeneration. Knew it before I stopped, sure enough the exhaust was hot and giving off the evidence. Next day, once heated up, it continued the regeneration.

I thought at the time, why didn't it make a passive regeneration during the run? Conditions obviously weren't met, and it required an active regeneration.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salop67 View Post
My 530d does that sometimes, perhaps 1 motorway trip in 20 or 30 (none of my motorway trips are less than 60 miles). Also had it do it 12 miles after a cold start.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
Salop67
Rep
Drives: G30 530D SE

Thanks for the replies. It was a cold day and the engine is hardly working at 70 mph so it probably didn't get hot enough. I doubt if there is anything wrong with it so I will not bother the dealer.
Appreciate 0