BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions B58 variants .. is BMW treating us like idiots, or what's the go?

01-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

B58 variants .. is BMW treating us like idiots, or what's the go?

So the 2020 M340i with the B58M30O1 is making 285 kW (382 HP) of power.
In comparison the stock 540i has 250 kW and with MPPSK - i.e. B58B30M0 makes 265 kW (355 HP).

Is there anything physically different with these variants or is this just another case of getting 'screwed' by BMW because they had to up the ante slightly for the M version? I'm willing to bet that the B58 in the M340i is probably only running a different ECU map and nothing else.

I remember when I got my MPPSK, the literature claimed that power greater than 265 kW wasn't possible. HA! .. well that BS was blown out of the water as soon as the Toyota boys got their hands on the B58 and this might be an in-house example of the same kind of crap.

Has anyone come across any other literature or press articles that cover this stuff?
Attached Images

Last edited by DBO; 01-23-2020 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 06:11 AM   #2
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540, 2016 GX460

All I know is that the car is as fast as my 2012 550 was, gets well over 30 mpg on the freeway and I didn’t have to buy the car but I did. Sure, I’d like more power, I always do. But I’m not seeing the point of conspiracy theories or bashing BMW over it.
      01-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Assuming these are from different model years. I think it is safe to assume they spent some time refining the engine or their testing process to squeeze more out of it. Nothing conspiratorial about that.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
In comparison the stock 540i has 250 kW and with MPPSK - i.e. B58B30M0 makes 265 kW (355 HP).

Is there anything physically different with these variants or is this just another case of getting 'screwed' by BMW because they had to up the ante slightly for the M version? I'm willing to bet that the B58 in the M340i is probably only running a different ECU map and nothing else.

I remember when I got my MPPSK, the literature claimed that power greater than 265 kW wasn't possible. HA! .. well that BS was blown out of the water as soon as the Toyota boys got their hands on the B58 and this might be an in-house example of the same kind of crap.

Has anyone come across any other literature or press articles that cover this stuff?
Yeah, that does sound like a rip off. I'm sure the tune has something to do with it, in part. I say this because I took an F30 B48 for a test drive and a G20 B48 for a test drive -- back to back. Same engine, but clearly the G20 was making more power.

But, my guess is that there are other differences as well -- like maybe the plenum and size of the intercooler, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have recently been critical of BMW for its ugly new grills and the decision to make a 2 series as a front wheel drive car. But on this one I side with BMW. The company likely strengthened some components to handle the extra power.

One can always tune a car to generate more power. But the tradeoff is worse fuel economy and more risk to the engine. Tuners are not offering 4 year warranties on the engines; BMW does.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:01 AM   #6
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:

I found this website that explains most maintenance procedures on the G30. This link is to a detailed explanation of the B58 engine installed in the G30. I always wonder how things work so this is very interesting to me.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ics/1VncQRDjvF
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Tuners are not offering 4 year warranties on the engines; BMW does.
Not in every market. They only give 3 yrs, 100,000Km here.

Besides that - the point of the thread was not to bag BMW, but to find out if there's actually some info available that would substantiate some of their tactics.

If they improved the engine mechanically (e.g. different components), then you could say, fine - yes. But to just throw a software switch means they are hobbling the known performance of the motor to suit their marketing strategy. Audi does a similar thing with their speed limiters.

The MPPSK is not a cheap upgrade in terms of what you get for your money. Sure there's a nicer exhaust and a new torque converter, but the major upgrade in engine power is only because they enable something in the software of the ECU.

Look, even that I don't begrudge them. They are a commercial entity that needs to make money, so why not - reducing engine power by loading different engine maps is a very cost effective way to sell an upgrade.

I don't mind paying for upgrades from the manufacturer (especially within a warranty period), but what get's me offside is when they say "Thanks for your money - Trust us, this is the best the engine can be - higher power isn't possible" but then a year down the track, all of a sudden they've managed to magically squeeze another 20 kW out of the same motor (case in point for the M340i) without explanation - probably because that's what their 'marketing dept.' has decided. Now if they said "new M340i with it's improved B58 turbo or plenum chamber is now able to make 382 HP"), that would be fine, but there's nothing around that seems to support that theory. BMW is either not being transparent or not being honest in their claims.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:31 PM   #8
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:

Of course if the BMW engine is not making enough power for you, think about contacting these guys. Just kidding. The link shows what can be done with the B58 engine though. I know what you mean I wish my G30 had the 382 HP engine. But these engines are strong and well designed.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #9
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
well, if you go by part numbers they're physically different
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I don't mind paying for upgrades from the manufacturer (especially within a warranty period), but what get's me offside is when they say "Thanks for your money - Trust us, this is the best the engine can be - higher power isn't possible" but then a year down the track, all of a sudden they've managed to magically squeeze another 20 kW out of the same motor (case in point for the M340i) without explanation - probably because that's what their 'marketing dept.' has decided. Now if they said "new M340i with it's improved B58 turbo or plenum chamber is now able to make 382 HP"), that would be fine, but there's nothing around that seems to support that theory. BMW is either not being transparent or not being honest in their claims.
My understanding, there are several major revisions to the design. Amongst other things, I read the head is different, fuel injection upgraded, (emissions and economy related). Includes a single timing chain, rather than the two chain setup of your engine. Heat management and engine cooling is much improved. Bottom line from my reading, it is designed to take higher loadings.
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #11
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
My understanding, there are several major revisions to the design. Amongst other things, I read the head is different, fuel injection upgraded, (emissions and economy related). Includes a single timing chain, rather than the two chain setup of your engine. Heat management and engine cooling is much improved. Bottom line from my reading, it is designed to take higher loadings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:

The m340 has an update engine. Expect the 540i LCI to have the same engine in the summer
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #12
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
The m340 has an update engine. Expect the 540i LCI to have the same engine in the summer

I don't expect the LCI 540 will be 382. Perhaps a slight bump on the current numbers, but I seriously doubt it will get the M Performance version B58.
Appreciate 0