BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 5 Series LCI to Receive the New All Digital Dashboard?

04-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

G30 5 Series LCI to Receive the New All Digital Dashboard?

Today BMW announced iDrive 7.0 which will be coming out this fall, with the release of the G05 X5. In the showcase of the new digital dashboard, as well as the overall infotainment design, the 5 Series is showcased, and even seen in the gauge cluster's starting screen (second photo), leading me to believe that the LCI G30 5, will be receiving the new dash, which makes sense since the cheaper upcoming G20 3 series was spied showcasing this. I also do like that they kept the traditional BMW orange gauge colors.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2018/04/17/bm...lable-in-2018/
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Today BMW announced iDrive 7.0 which will be coming out this fall, with the release of the G05 X5. In the showcase of the new digital dashboard, as well as the overall infotainment design, the 5 Series is showcased, and even seen in the gauge cluster's starting screen (second photo), leading me to believe that the LCI G30 5, will be receiving the new dash, which makes sense since the cheaper upcoming G20 3 series was spied showcasing this. I also do like that they kept the traditional BMW orange gauge colors.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2018/04/17/bm...lable-in-2018/
It is annoying they use the 5 series in the picture but doubt they get this until 2020 models next year. That does look very nice though but what can you do. There’s always gonna be better stuff coming out. I ordered a 530e and I won’t be surprised when they double the battery range on that in 2 years either. I wish car buying wasn’t such a guessing game to us in the know. Honestly though I think they should go further with the HUD than the dash. I stare so little at the dash nowadays. If a full map appeared on the windshield mapped to actual road view, then we’re talking.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

2 things for me.

1. Suckfest.. I dig this set up way more than 6.0 and my 2018 540I build will be arriving to my dealer around May 4th but looks like this update will not be for 2018 G30's... Or is this a software that could be upgraded for 2018 models ?? any chance ?

2. The 759 Wheels (same 20" wheels I have coming ) look pretty sweet in Black... Makes me think this could look pretty incredible on my Bluestone especially with the Gloss Black Grill, side grills and Black 540I emblem.

waited too long for my new 5 as is and certainly not going to wait any longer just for the possibility of a new dash set up.. especially as the way I read it It will first be for the X5 and then the new 3'er ... My guess is this will be available on the 2019 G30.

So when my 3 year lease is up I'm sure most kinks will be ironed out in the new system plus there will probably be some great updates along the way.

Ready to enjoy my new 540I... but my wheels may be getting the same black treatment
      04-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #4
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
2 things for me.

1. Suckfest.. I dig this set up way more than 6.0 and my 2018 540I build will be arriving to my dealer around May 4th but looks like this update will not be for 2018 G30's... Or is this a software that could be upgraded for 2018 models ?? any chance ?

2. The 759 Wheels (same 20" wheels I have coming ) look pretty sweet in Black... Makes me think this could look pretty incredible on my Bluestone especially with the Gloss Black Grill, side grills and Black 540I emblem.

waited too long for my new 5 as is and certainly not going to wait any longer just for the possibility of a new dash set up.. especially as the way I read it It will first be for the X5 and then the new 3'er ... My guess is this will be available on the 2019 G30.

So when my 3 year lease is up I'm sure most kinks will be ironed out in the new system plus there will probably be some great updates along the way.

Ready to enjoy my new 540I... but my wheels may be getting the same black treatment

Haha what a relatable response. It does look sweet and I would t worry about 2019s those come out this summer before the next 3 series reveal or x5... doubt you’ll see the visual update though especially due to those metal inlays. I think model year 2020 makes sense for summer of 2019. I’m in the same boat and actually couldn’t wait for the 3 actually (and it won’t be really a great deal for another 2 years anyhow) so went for a 5 since my current lease is up and deals are real good. Also awaiting order on a Med Blue, 530e specifically. I’ve never been sold on the black rims though but I do like gunmetal... lol which ends up looking that way with brake dust. One thing I wish I could get are the satin accents on the M550ix- n those rims. Not too into so many spokes but I think I’m more stoked about the general interior- so I think both of us will just have to be happy with what we get.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
It is annoying they use the 5 series in the picture but doubt they get this until 2020 models next year. That does look very nice though but what can you do. There’s always gonna be better stuff coming out. I ordered a 530e and I won’t be surprised when they double the battery range on that in 2 years either. I wish car buying wasn’t such a guessing game to us in the know. Honestly though I think they should go further with the HUD than the dash. I stare so little at the dash nowadays. If a full map appeared on the windshield mapped to actual road view, then we’re talking.
That is one disadvantage of HUD. It does not allow one to be gazing at the beautiful digital cockpit of G30.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      04-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
That is one disadvantage of HUD. It does not allow one to be gazing at the beautiful digital cockpit of G30.
In my current car, I have a HUD and analog dials and I rarely look at my gauges other than for gas readout. I don't know about disadvantage but certainly two competing items that makes the dash a lot more pointless.

If they incorporated all the same into the HUD I'd see little point for any dash other than a backup. I think changing music is my favorite part of the HUD... I'd be happy to see a full nav/map on the HUD over the the Dash though.

The polarity issues are still an issue of course as it can be hard to read sometimes. Not having anything really digital besides a nav currently, I guess I will be happy with the upgrade even if its not this new fancier version seen here.
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK436.00
      04-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Increasingly iDrive isn't only for the driver. Even if they were to incorporate more info into HUD there's a need for an intuitive operating system that looks good from the point of view of passengers.
Appreciate 1
babaikram511.50
      04-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

LCI's usually get updated idrive but I don't think I've seen an LCI get a newer gauge cluster even when the LCI is released after that cluster is available in other models.

e.g. E70 LCI X5 got the updated idrive, but didn't get the newer gauges even though they were available in the F10 prior to the launch of the LCI X5.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #9
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
LCI's usually get updated idrive but I don't think I've seen an LCI get a newer gauge cluster even when the LCI is released after that cluster is available in other models.

e.g. E70 LCI X5 got the updated idrive, but didn't get the newer gauges even though they were available in the F10 prior to the launch of the LCI X5.
The 4 series LCI has the digital cluster, the original didn't.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      04-20-2018, 01:28 AM   #10
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
The 4 series LCI has the digital cluster, the original didn't.
Interesting. Then it is a possibility. I stand corrected.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 01:36 AM   #11
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Who knows the new cluster may come in before lci?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:30 AM   #12
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I think G11/12 7 Series' facelifted models will be first to receive those .
Those are nicely designed too
      04-20-2018, 04:48 AM   #13
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

Interesting development here, but I must admit I don't personally like the style - the instrument surrounds are too angular and the overall effect is pretty jarring as a result... To me it therefore look fussy and unnecessary. I do like the integration of the map into the instrument cluster - that is good, but other than that I fail to personally see the benefit... Change for the sake of change??
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:15 AM   #14
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztx84 View Post
Interesting development here, but I must admit I don't personally like the style - the instrument surrounds are too angular and the overall effect is pretty jarring as a result... To me it therefore look fussy and unnecessary. I do like the integration of the map into the instrument cluster - that is good, but other than that I fail to personally see the benefit... Change for the sake of change??
Change for the sake of keeping up with Audi and Mercedes, despite their ergonomic challenges with information overload. I appreciate the novelty in having more configurability, as long as a "classic" option remains.

One change I would like to see is a migration of the few remaining idiot lights into the digital display. This mismatched green colors of the PARK and AUTO H indicators are a bit discordant in an otherwise meticulously coordinated interior.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      04-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #15
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i think they definitely are reacting to keyboard warriors a hair. I don't think you can go all screen either in current forms like Audi is doing with the a6 and Merc half did.

Every-time i see the comments on car blogs, the unassuming those who never drive these cars think Audi and Merc are better from what they see in pictures/videos.

In reality it's a big difference. I maybe bias based on ordering a 5 coming from a 4, but the whole new G series BMWs have the best balance of interior design and tech with form and function in the luxury atmosphere. Audis components are probably the nicest but in my opinion their use of it is not best and the interior has too much slab, hard cornered design in total. Plastics aren't great either.

Mercedes has the nicest interior desing but their UX and infotainment is not a pleasant experience and a screen stretching from middle to drive is weird. They win the "i can haz bezel" game since 2012. I hate the hell out of it.

In person new gen BMW has taken a huge leap forward... they have the best 360 camera function and no other manufacturer has one that nice or well done in any combination i've seen in any luxury brand. They lighting took a good jump too.

With this updated dashboard design I think they further prove their tech is actually nice/fun to look at and actually something you will use. Nothing is forever but it took me til a customized F series layout to actually dig BMWs interiors at all.

I think BMW carries over a core theme from their cars into their interiors now. Their design to functionality is just like their weight balance distribution. 50/50.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      04-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #16
Bostongio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

I do not like the weird geometric shapes of the two main instruments, speed and RPM. Not sure what was wrong with a circle (seems to have worked for over a century) and is usually the surest sign of "over design" -- design for the sake of design, not function.

Remember the horizontal, rectangular speed indicators of some of the cars in the 1970s and 80s? This design will fall into that same bucket when looked at 20 years from now.

You can certainly do a digital dash upgrade with design elements that don't try and reinvent something that wasn't fundamentally broken. I'm glad I've got the digital dashboard I do, as this new one is a turn off.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #17
scottlilo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430xi

I know this is old, but what a great find!

Is there any news on whether the 2020 5 series will see the new digital dashboard?

It's really interesting they chose to showcase the 5 series in the press release photos for this.

If the 2020 M550i includes the new digital dash + Driver assistance Professional (Mobileye Eyeq4 Trifocal), I would upgrade from my 4 series in a heartbeat!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #18
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
they'd better do over the air update on this...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #19
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlilo View Post
I know this is old, but what a great find!

Is there any news on whether the 2020 5 series will see the new digital dashboard?

It's really interesting they chose to showcase the 5 series in the press release photos for this.

If the 2020 M550i includes the new digital dash + Driver assistance Professional (Mobileye Eyeq4 Trifocal), I would upgrade from my 4 series in a heartbeat!
Nothing concrete, but dealers are telling people no major changes for the MY2020 (they would say that). I would imagine it will MY2021 as that is when The G30 will get the LCI. Can't see them putting in ID7 before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
they'd better do over the air update on this...
What do you mean? Are you saying that the current cars should be upgraded to this system over the air?

Or just that the new system should be able to get OTA future updates?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

I have no desire for i drive 7 and dash. Go read X5 forum and all the problems their having with the new system. Complete nightmare on X5 forum.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      02-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #21
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Nothing concrete, but dealers are telling people no major changes for the MY2020 (they would say that). I would imagine it will MY2021 as that is when The G30 will get the LCI. Can't see them putting in ID7 before that.

What do you mean? Are you saying that the current cars should be upgraded to this system over the air?

Or just that the new system should be able to get OTA future updates?
more like being hopeful, I highly doubt it, other than Tesla I don't see other people doing real over the air update yet...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #22
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

I have a 2018 540 and a 2019 X5. I definitely prefer our dashboard (I have the full digital in my 540) to the new digital in the X5. It just looks odd to me, the layout.

As for iDrive, 7 looks very nice but 6 in the 540 works much better. 7 is a mess so far. Obviously that will improve in time, but 6 is flawless for and 7 is buggy beyond description.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
530iDriver1707.50