BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Primacy 3 runflats or ???

09-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550, '00 750, '97 540,..

Primacy 3 runflats or ???

I bought my CPO M550 in January, and have run up about 10K miles.
At delivery, I bought the wheel/tire insurance package. I'm in pothole-laden Western NY and have never owned a vehicle with run flats before.

I have the staggered 19-inch "tuning fork" (664M?) wheels.

Over the summer I smacked a couple road construction "bumps" that would have been no big deal on standard tires, but DANG the runflats hit hard.

Anyway, I took the vehicle back to the dealer last week for several thing, including checking the wheels/tires. They confirmed 3 of the wheels are bent and are working the warranty.

The Primacy 3's ran smoothly before the bumps/bends, but are increasingly noisy. I have maybe 40% tread remaining. My Michelin dealer recommends the PS AS 4 tires (even above the "summer softies") due to local conditions. He says they'll be better than the Primacy 3 tires in every way and will not give up much to the summers in terms of real world performance (I'm 50 and don't flog the hell out of the car, though we do have some nice twisties here). Does anyone have thoughts about this?

My big dilemma will be if they decide to replace 3 of the Primacy 3 tires with new tires - I'd almost feel obliged to buy the 4th to complete the set!

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #2
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I forgot to mention that I do have a separate set of Pilot Alpins in case I need to take it out during lousy weather!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #3
gthefish
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530i

Garage List
2022 BMW M550  [0.00]
2019 BMW 530i  [0.00]
I guess it comes down to personal preference in regards to ride comfort, your personal history with runflats and where you live. I'm in Texas and have the 19" staggered setup as well with Primacy 3 run flats. Personally, I like the Primacy 3's. The grip has been phenomenal in wet/dry scenarios and the ride doesn't seem harsh to me at all. I do have the DDC (Dynamic Damper Control), which I'm sure helps. I've hit a few pot holes, nothing terrible, and I didn't think it was too bad.

I haven't ran a traditional tire in years and have had a good history with runflats. Knock on wood…. I've only had one "flat" in about 7 years. No blowouts, no bent rims. I'm sure you've heard/read the horror stories of people and their runflats... I just replaced my rear tires this week and for a split second I considered swapping out all four for the PSAS4's. My car came with the Space Saver Spare so I figure if I ever make the change I got that going for me. My only gripe is treadwear, (although, I blame it mostly on the staggered setup), but even that is not horrible in the Primacy 3's. I think if the weather changed more here, or if I start having issues with runflats I'll get the PSAS4's, throw my space saver back in the trunk and get a slime kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your remarks.

Just to clarify, I am really hoping to find someone who has had both the Primacy 3's and something else. to give me an idea of what I could gain and/or lose in the real world.

I agree, the tires are nice in terms of balance and traction... it is just that the occasional imperfection hits 'em hard and bends wheels. Personally I've never had this issue before.
Appreciate 0