BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Individual Manufactor - not for interiors in USA?

09-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
M1903a3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Individual Manufactor - not for interiors in USA?

So I placed an order for a 2022 M550i a week ago that included individual leather. Yesterday my CA called and told me Individual leather choices were no longer available in the US. He said BMW-USA didn't have any explanation and wouldn't say if this is COVID supply related or a permanent change.

I'm quite bummed out since the only interior colors I like are not offered in NAPA on the 550.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 12:15 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Why would the US market be any different? It's built in Germany along with destined for the EU and elsewhere.

Maybe they mean globally? Supply issues or have bmw simply dropped it?
Appreciate 1
calbears4251.00
      09-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Why would the US market be any different? It's built in Germany along with destined for the EU and elsewhere.

BMWNA (a BMW sub) makes the decisions about what to bring to the US. And at least to me their decision making is both obtuse and unreasonable. But that is to me.

My example is the refusal to bring the BMW 545e to the US while it is being sold elsewhere.

Between the new nose and these kinds of decisions, I may be looking elsewhere when I am ready to replace my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep

Ah I guess they make thebdecision the local market

I'm the U.K. we don't get many of the version of the 5 compared to say the German market
We don't get rear drive only 540 as one example and we only got the 550 starting with the LCI models.

Having said that the U.K. models are quite well specced before any options are added, in pre LCI days we didn't the lesser dashboard that the US got as one example

Very market specific
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 03:47 AM   #5
igelkotten82
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M550i and 435d GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1903a3 View Post
So I placed an order for a 2022 M550i a week ago that included individual leather. Yesterday my CA called and told me Individual leather choices were no longer available in the US. He said BMW-USA didn't have any explanation and wouldn't say if this is COVID supply related or a permanent change.

I'm quite bummed out since the only interior colors I like are not offered in NAPA on the 550.
Are you going for the individual merino leather that is available on other markets in Tartufo, Caramell or Smoked white or do you want to order an individual manufaktur with your own choice with 30 different leather colors available (very expensive and 20 weeks longer delivery time)? If you want the expensive manufaktur option I would try to e-mail bmw individual directly and ask if it is possible. E-mail adress is individual@bmw.de

If you want any of the normal merino individual color go to Canada and order it. Its very nice with leather on the lower part of the dashboard and the back of the frontseats. In Canada you can also choose 4 zone climate control which is not possible in the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #6
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:

Highly unlikely, a few weeks ago we got a customer approved for individual leather in fjord blue for a M340i. Doubt that's changed as we can do individual exteriors still. Process is a bit longer for approval as well.

EDIT: I just looked at an M550i and indeed "individual" leathers like Tartufo are indeed gone from the ordering system for the M550i
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)

Last edited by calbears; 09-14-2021 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
BMWNA (a BMW sub) makes the decisions about what to bring to the US. And at least to me their decision making is both obtuse and unreasonable. But that is to me.

My example is the refusal to bring the BMW 545e to the US while it is being sold elsewhere.

Between the new nose and these kinds of decisions, I may be looking elsewhere when I am ready to replace my car.
Very true.

For instance, the 530i/e can still get Soft Close Doors, B&W sound system, and other features in Canada on orders yet those aren’t available in the US. And the US and Canada markets both fall under BMWNA…
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

As of September 1, BMWNA has new leadership. I wouldn't hold my breath for expanded model options, certainly not in the current world situation, but maybe over time things will improve.

I still firmly believe much of what we get in North America is decided by planners in Germany.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US
      09-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:

Very true.

For instance, the 530i/e can still get Soft Close Doors, B&W sound system, and other features in Canada on orders yet those aren't available in the US. And the US and Canada markets both fall under BMWNA…
Can you get soft close doors on any G30 in US market? I thought they killed that option for MY20. And that was before Covid.
      09-16-2021, 02:19 PM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Can you get soft close doors on any G30 in US market? I thought they killed that option for MY20. And that was before Covid.
They killed it in MY2021+. My MY2020 has them
Appreciate 1
claykin1587.50
      09-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #11
Gamelin
Rep
Drives: G30 LCI

In Europe you can still get soft-close.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 03:57 AM   #12
5aber
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamelin View Post
In UK you can get soft close doors only on M5.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 04:43 AM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep

They have certainly simplified models of late, I know some of that is down to emissions so the less variations the lower number of tests to prove mpg and co2 emisssions

Back in 2017 when I ordered my 540 (U.K.) I wanted the wheels from the 550 which was not sold here but was told they could not put them on due that combination not having been tested for co2 etc.
I could however buy the wheels and put them on at the dealership before driving away …..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #14
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamelin View Post
BMW gives many of us little reason to tradein. My 2018 530e has the luxury seating package, the soft close doors, nightvision, etc. which BMW is no longer offering. So why would I trade in my still very nice and comfortable car?

Now...as I said above, if I had the opportunity to upgrade to a 545e, that would be a different story.

So...keep my car for quite a while and if I need to tradein...it won't necessarily be for a BMW, even though I would like it to be so.

I understand the chip shortage but some of the weird decisions have nothing to do with the chip shortage.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #15
M1903a3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igelkotten82 View Post
Are you going for the individual merino leather that is available on other markets in Tartufo, Caramell or Smoked white or do you want to order an individual manufaktur with your own choice with 30 different leather colors available (very expensive and 20 weeks longer delivery time)? If you want the expensive manufaktur option I would try to e-mail bmw individual directly and ask if it is possible. E-mail adress is individual@bmw.de

If you want any of the normal merino individual color go to Canada and order it. Its very nice with leather on the lower part of the dashboard and the back of the frontseats. In Canada you can also choose 4 zone climate control which is not possible in the US.
I requested the BMW Individual Extended Leather 'Merino' Caramel that's one of the choices for the M550i in the Individual online configurator.

I suspect ordering a Canadian version and importing it to the US is fraught with issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #16
M1903a3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
They killed it in MY2021+. My MY2020 has them
I suspect they killed the soft close doors in the USA market because there were several class action lawsuits alleging they crushed the fingers of people too effing stupid to not close a door on their hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #17
igelkotten82
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I requested the BMW Individual Extended Leather 'Merino' Caramel that's one of the choices for the M550i in the Individual online configurator.

I suspect ordering a Canadian version and importing it to the US is fraught with issues.
Very nice choice! I have it on my M550i and love it. In Europe its an individual option but not an manufaktur option. Maybe you can make Bmw NA allow it by adding some manufaktur options that will make no sense if you don't have the caramel merino leather. The easiest part which I also added is Floor mats with leather binding in caramel. Another option which I don't know how pricy it is but will be available is to order a steering wheel with the same caramel color on the stitching as the car has on the dash board.

I dont know if or how difficult it is to order it from Canada. In Europe its tricky but makable to order it in other countries as long as you dont need financing.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #18
M1903a3
Private First Class
Rep

Not being accustomed to taking no for an answer, especially when the Individual configurator has my desired choices for the M550i, I fired up my German language memory and wrote an email to an Individual manager in München asking if that was permanent or just COVID related.
A few days later I got an email from the M manager in BMWUSA basically saying "of course you can get individual" in the US and asking me to have my CA contact them again.
Presto, the person who previously denied the request approved it with apologies, saying a middle manager who had issued a blanket order against them was no longer in that position. I still have to wait for Germany to get back to BMWUSA with pricing and availability for my specific requests. But at least it's moving along.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not being accustomed to taking no for an answer, especially when the Individual configurator has my desired choices for the M550i, I fired up my German language memory and wrote an email to an Individual manager in München asking if that was permanent or just COVID related.
A few days later I got an email from the M manager in BMWUSA basically saying "of course you can get individual" in the US and asking me to have my CA contact them again.
Presto, the person who previously denied the request approved it with apologies, saying a middle manager who had issued a blanket order against them was no longer in that position. I still have to wait for Germany to get back to BMWUSA with pricing and availability for my specific requests. But at least it's moving along.
Congratulations! Well done.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #20
igelkotten82
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Happy it turned out this way for you! Everytime I have been in contact with the individual department at Bmw M you really get good information back. Don't forget to add the floormats with colour matched leather piping if you really want the interior to be perfect!
Hope the pricing is ok and that this makes more people ordering the full merino interior leather package in the US since its really makes the interior wonderful.
Appreciate 1