BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery 540i Touring on order - no allocation for 4 months

08-10-2021, 04:49 AM   #1
pepitko
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540ix Touring

540i Touring on order - no allocation for 4 months

Hi guys,
I just wanted to get some perspective on dealer allocations in Europe (I'm guessing US works differently). I've ordered a 540i xDrive Touring in May (05/2021) and so far didn't get an allocation. Needed to remove H&K from the build but otherwise it went through. Dealer is saying that they still didn't get an allocation for a similar car from 04/2021 and only got an allocation for a 20d. Any ideas what's going on?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #2
Gamelin
Rep
Drives: G30 LCI

Around Spring my dealer told me that for Poland global allocation quotas were reduced. In the meantime local demand is skyrocketing.

Maybe this is the same issue in your country.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepitko View Post
Hi guys,
I just wanted to get some perspective on dealer allocations in Europe (I'm guessing US works differently). I've ordered a 540i xDrive Touring in May (05/2021) and so far didn't get an allocation. Needed to remove H&K from the build but otherwise it went through. Dealer is saying that they still didn't get an allocation for a similar car from 04/2021 and only got an allocation for a 20d. Any ideas what's going on?
What's going on? Covid.

I suggest shop other dealers and/or ask your dealer to see if they can trade an allocation with another dealer.

My suspicion is CZ doesn't have huge demand for 6 cylinder gas cars. Tell me if I'm incorrect on that. You'd probably more easily find an allocation for a small 4 cylinder gas or diesel model such as the 20d they claim they can get. And options will be another issue as you found with HK as covid fallout is still screwing up the supply chain.
      08-11-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
pepitko
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
What's going on? Covid.
I understand Covid fallout and the global chip shortage is screwing things up. I guess the better question I should have asked was what's the guess on when the allocation might come. My current lease is up within a month, so I will be without a car for months it seems.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:55 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

You should be able to extend your lease especially if they know you are ordering a new car from them

Didn't realise an allocation was for a particular mode I thought it was more generic such as a 5 series.

I thought dealers purchase these options for cars they will sell straight out of the showroom (saved a load of time for a buyer if they are happy with the spec. So they tend to spec the popular options to make it easy to sell)
However if a buyer comes along want their own spec they can simply modify that existing allocation to be your spec so you save some time as it's already in the queue.

As others have said COVID and chip shortages are impacting business in all sorts of ways not just cars
Appreciate 1
smacky485.50
      09-08-2021, 03:55 AM   #6
pepitko
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
You should be able to extend your lease especially if they know you are ordering a new car from them

Didn't realise an allocation was for a particular mode I thought it was more generic such as a 5 series.

I thought dealers purchase these options for cars they will sell straight out of the showroom (saved a load of time for a buyer if they are happy with the spec. So they tend to spec the popular options to make it easy to sell)
However if a buyer comes along want their own spec they can simply modify that existing allocation to be your spec so you save some time as it's already in the queue.

As others have said COVID and chip shortages are impacting business in all sorts of ways not just cars
Maybe as you say some dealers carry over allocations and either order for their lot or use the allocation for their customers, hard to say.

I have an update - I received a call from my dealer yesterday. We got an allocation and the car is scheduled to go into production mid October. So if things go well, it should be on the road early November. The production date can however change, so fingers crossed it will go smoothly. No word about any needed spec changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Nice
Now the difficult part - waiting!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 03:39 PM   #8
5aber
Rep
Drives: -

I'm going through a very similar situation. I placed an order for M550i on 05/07 and nothing happened until couple of weeks ago when I got a phone call saying my car is scheduled to go into production in first week of November and estimated to be delivered in December.

I also called a couple of other dealerships last week and asked if they had any earlier allocation but I was told they won't get any cars in until February 2022. One of them also mentioned that all petrol cars that they ordered in last few months delayed to December.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:33 AM   #9
MLN72
Registered
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 545e

Very similar situation here in Denmark.
I ordered a 545e early April, and did not receive an allocation for a long time. The car is now scheduled for production in week 42, with scheduled delivery on November 24th.
The issue seems - at least here in DK - to be delays partly due to shortage of microchips, in combination with an increased number of orders for BMW PHEVs due to new lowered 2021 tax rules on PHEV here in DK.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #10
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

Hi All

Found similar waits as you guys Spoke to a dealer yesterday about a factory order for a 540 Touring and straight away he said you are definitely looking into next year but I'll check and ring you back.

He took all my PX details but never did ring back so I'm guessing not keen on factory orders at the minute just looking to shift stock cars as he was keen to try to sell my a X3M Competition.

Other strange thing is when i configured the car on the website I found the only 5 Touring you can spec with the Technology Pack plus is the 530e. I was looking to spec the Parking assistant plus pack but cannot spec it on its own.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2021, 04:37 AM   #11
pepitko
Czech_Republic
Rep

My car has been confirmed to go into production next week, so it looks like it could be on the road by end of October .
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #12
Gamelin
Rep
Drives: G30 LCI

Congrats. Mine was registered today.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #13
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Is this where all the newborns are? We got our VIN today too.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 02:26 AM   #14
5aber
Rep

do you guys an update for your order? mine's scheduled for production.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #15
pepitko
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aber View Post
do you guys an update for your order? mine's scheduled for production.
Update: I collected my car on Wednesday! It ended up being a bit earlier than I anticipated. Super happy with the car, only thing is that they deleted wireless charging (and digital key it seems) but I’m not bothered about that.

Worse thing is that I wasn’t able to order H&K due to chip shortage and got only the 676 HiFi instead and it’s fairly bad, especially coming from H&K in my 340i. So I’m looking into aftermarket upgrade possibilities.

Timeline:
Early may - Order submitted (original estimate, late August delivery)
Late August - still no allocation
Mid september - allocation confirmed, scheduled production for mid October
October 10 (week 41) - in production
October 18 - arrival in CZ
October 27 - picked up from dealer

Last edited by pepitko; 11-02-2021 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:35 AM   #16
5aber
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepitko View Post
Update: I collected my car on Wednesday! It ended up being a bit earlier than I anticipated. Super happy with the car, only thing is that they deleted wireless charging (and digital key it seems) but I’m not bothered about that.

Worse thing is that I wasn’t able to order H&K due to chip shortage and got only the 676 HiFi instead and it’s fairly bad, especially coming from H&K in my 340i. So I’m looking into aftermarket upgrade possibilities.

Timeline:
Early may - Order submitted (original estimate, late August delivery)
Late August - still no allocation
Mid september - allocation confirmed, scheduled production for mid October
October 10 (week 41) - in production
October 18 - arrival in CZ
October 27 - picked up from dealer

congratulations! it looks awesome!
Appreciate 0