BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications m550i intake

07-06-2023, 03:06 AM   #1
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22’ M550i

Hey all,

Looking to pickup an aftermarket intake for my 2022 m550i. Do any of you have any experience with any of the following setups:
Rktunes front mounted, CTS, mst, aftermarket performance filters for stock air box + charcoal delete.

If any of you have one of these or another system would you mind telling me why you chose it over the other available options and how has your experience been with your intake so far? Have you noticed any throttle response improvement? Does it sound better than expected (worse)? Any actual HP gains or losses with dyno proof? Is the sound annoying when you’re just cruising in comfort and not getting after it? If money wasn’t a question would you buy the same system again?

I’m pretty new to car modding and I just want to do as much research as possible to make the best educated decision possible. There isn’t a ton of info/videos about LCI intakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 06:48 PM   #2
Bjames93*
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30

If you’re looking for intakes dm. We have a nice selection. It’s best to go with complete front mount intakes that sit in front of radiator. So that it can actually function as cold air intake versus a hot air intake. It will help with iats. And spool up. N63intakes is our site
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2023, 03:23 AM   #3
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjames93* View Post
If you’re looking for intakes dm. We have a nice selection. It’s best to go with complete front mount intakes that sit in front of radiator. So that it can actually function as cold air intake versus a hot air intake. It will help with iats. And spool up. N63intakes is our site
DM’d
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 06:39 AM   #4
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

I think you’ve been in my recent thread about my install but I’ll give you 2 cents so far.

I had the CTS intakes on for 250 miles. Sound is great and I personally think performance was not affected because of heat soak. I reinstalled my stock boxes for now with prefilter delete/ bmc filters to compare. It feels stock again along with no spooling sound.

If I had to do it again I might go the RK route and the only reason I didn’t do it originally was because I didn’t want to cut my new car to open the active grill shutters.

But I think it depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re looking to maximize performance and plan to track/drag race, you should go the cold air route and go through a little more hassle to install them. The look is definitely aggressive as well.

I’d get the cts intakes for a quick and easy install and definite sound upgrade. My car is my daily and I never had issues and enjoyed the sound normally driving or WOT. Another member here just dynod his m550i with CTS intakes/ Remus midpipe/ Carbahn tune and got 600 whp. That’s plenty for me.

Since you’re looking to “mod” your car I don’t think the prefilter delete/ bmc filter is going to satisfy what you’re looking for.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 06:42 AM   #5
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifttime85 View Post
I think you’ve been in my recent thread about my install but I’ll give you 2 cents so far.

I had the CTS intakes on for 250 miles. Sound is great and I personally think performance was not affected because of heat soak. I reinstalled my stock boxes for now with prefilter delete/ bmc filters to compare. It feels stock again along with no spooling sound.

If I had to do it again I might go the RK route and the only reason I didn’t do it originally was because I didn’t want to cut my new car to open the active grill shutters.

But I think it depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re looking to maximize performance and plan to track/drag race, you should go the cold air route and go through a little more hassle to install them. The look is definitely aggressive as well.

I’d get the cts intakes for a quick and easy install and definite sound upgrade. My car is my daily and I never had issues and enjoyed the sound normally driving or WOT. Another member here just dynod his m550i with CTS intakes/ Remus midpipe/ Carbahn tune and got 600 whp. That’s plenty for me.

Since you’re looking to “mod” your car I don’t think the prefilter delete/ bmc filter is going to satisfy what you’re looking for.

So I contacted Rk tunes directly and they said that the intakes fit the car without having to cut the active grill!

I’m not sure if that’s exclusive to my model year or all their intakes. The guy I spoke to said that some people like to do it to see the filters all the time and other installs require it but they confirmed that on a 2022 m550i I can install their intakes with no other mods
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2023, 06:49 AM   #6
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniels1117 View Post
So I contacted Rk tunes directly and they said that the intakes fit the car without having to cut the active grill!

I’m not sure if that’s exclusive to my model year or all their intakes. The guy I spoke to said that some people like to do it to see the filters all the time and other installs require it but they confirmed that on a 2022 m550i I can install their intakes with no other mods
Nice that’s good to know. I think most ppl were also doing it because they wanted the cold air constantly flowing to the filters and not potentially soaking heat. And also for that aggressive look. The install from what I’ve seen is tight too and you’ll probably have to remove the grill to get the filters in at one point even if you don’t delete.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 06:53 AM   #7
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice that’s good to know. I think most ppl were also doing it because they wanted the cold air constantly flowing to the filters and not potentially soaking heat. And also for that aggressive look. The install from what I’ve seen is tight too and you’ll probably have to remove the grill to get the filters in at one point even if you don’t delete.
I was told you have to remove the bumper to do the install correctly to fit the intakes far enough back to not have to cut the grill. Again do your due diligence to make sure this applies to your specific model year!

Front mounted intakes just make so much more sense to me than inside the engine bay if a notiriously hot engine. I also live in AZ, it’s 115+ everyday in summer so I can afford any additional hot air!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 06:57 AM   #8
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was told you have to remove the bumper to do the install correctly to fit the intakes far enough back to not have to cut the grill. Again do your due diligence to make sure this applies to your specific model year!

Front mounted intakes just make so much more sense to me than inside the engine bay if a notiriously hot engine. I also live in AZ, it’s 115+ everyday in summer so I can afford any additional hot air!
jordan from RK

It’s not your 2022 but install should be the same from what I’ve read. But yeah definitely worth the investment for heat.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 07:00 AM   #9
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
jordan from RK

It’s not your 2022 but install should be the same from what I’ve read. But yeah definitely worth the investment for heat.
Have you looked at n63 intakes? They have some employees in these forums. It’s between them and rk tunes for me right now price is comparable.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 07:02 AM   #10
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
jordan from RK

When does the active grill open? Is there a heat threshold? If so, do we have any idea what that threshold is? Is it speed based? Everytime I park my car (or at least when I remember to check) it seems to be closed but I know it opens when I’m driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 07:14 AM   #11
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When does the active grill open? Is there a heat threshold? If so, do we have any idea what that threshold is? Is it speed based? Everytime I park my car (or at least when I remember to check) it seems to be closed but I know it opens when I’m driving.
It’s all temperature based from what I understand. I don’t know the thresholds but it’s not simply based on driving modes or turning on the car.

This guy explains it in a video but I took a snapshot of it from the video.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1