BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Apple CarPlay Problems

10-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
ChristianC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i

Apple CarPlay Problems

Recently purchased Apple CarPlay for my 2018 530i. Every day since I've purchased I have had problems. The Apple CarPlay disconnects from the car and reverts back to the phone while driving then tries to reconnects multiple times. The best advice given by the BMW Genius phone advising was "disconnect your device and reconnect it" With this done I'm still having the same problems. Phone calls revert back to my iPhone as well as music. Not sure what the solution would be?
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianC View Post
Recently purchased Apple CarPlay for my 2018 530i. Every day since I've purchased I have had problems. The Apple CarPlay disconnects from the car and reverts back to the phone while driving then tries to reconnects multiple times. The best advice given by the BMW Genius phone advising was "disconnect your device and reconnect it" With this done I'm still having the same problems. Phone calls revert back to my iPhone as well as music. Not sure what the solution would be?
Thanks in advance.
Have you tried removing the connection from the car and phone? Sometimes these issues can be solved via that.

Other thing to try is to restore the phone. Besides that I'm not sure what else you could try.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

I have also had similar performance with CP. Using an iPhone X with 12.1

My interest in CP was more in Tidal and now Waze and G Maps, but it has had similar connection issues and have recently reverted to using the iDrive phone connection and my USB SSD for lossless music.
      10-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
ChristianC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianC View Post
Thanks in advance.
Have you tried removing the connection from the car and phone? Sometimes these issues can be solved via that.

Other thing to try is to restore the phone. Besides that I'm not sure what else you could try.
Deleted the phone from the IDrive system, as well as deleted all CarPlay systems from the phone. Updated phone to newest version and reconnected the phone to the IDrive, we shall see how well it does from here out.
Thank you for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
ChristianC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
I have also had similar performance with CP. Using an iPhone X with 12.1

My interest in CP was more in Tidal and now Waze and G Maps, but it has had similar connection issues and have recently reverted to using the iDrive phone connection and my USB SSD for lossless music.
Updated the phone, deleted CarPlay from everywhere on the phone as well as deleted the phone from the IDrive. Reconnected and will see how well this does over my next few drives.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 01:58 AM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Ask BMW to update Software.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
Damo Engelbrecht
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2017 G30

CarPlay Audio out of Sync

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can assist or point me to the correct forum?

I am having audio latency issues when playing YouTube videos or any videos for that matter through CarPlay. Video plays on iPhone and audio through CarPlay however it is out of sync by a good few seconds. I think it has to do with the fact that the CarPlay connects wirelessly?

Can I change from wireless CarPlay to the lighting cable through USB as this might resolve the lag. Or is there a app or tweak anyone is aware of that can adjust the frame rate in YouTube or adjust the audio timing?

Have anyone heard of this before? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks Damo
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:59 AM   #8
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Delete iphone from car. Delete car from phone.
Update OS on phone. Punch your vin in bmw site to see if you need to update your firmware. If you do, grab a flash drive and do the update.

Reconnect everything and see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
FYI, CarPlay gets updated through iOS updates.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #10
majedmiah
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 520d M Sport

I also have this issue, it seems if you don't have the Extended WiFi option then the connection seems to be very poor. I've got to keep the phone in the cup holder to get a decent connection and even then it's intermittent sometimes.

The gent I bought the coding option from to enable CarPlay explained that if I purchase a WiFi antenna that it can be installed and mitigate those connection problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by majedmiah View Post
I also have this issue, it seems if you don't have the Extended WiFi option then the connection seems to be very poor. I've got to keep the phone in the cup holder to get a decent connection and even then it's intermittent sometimes.

The gent I bought the coding option from to enable CarPlay explained that if I purchase a WiFi antenna that it can be installed and mitigate those connection problems.
Just for the record, any vehicle with CarPlay from the factory comes with the antenna. You really need to have it.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #12
majedmiah
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 520d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Just for the record, any vehicle with CarPlay from the factory comes with the antenna. You really need to have it.
I've purchased an antenna, if I were to plug it in behind the HU, will it work straight away or will it require additional coding?.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #13
M3nt4l
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20, BMW E91

Quote:
Quote:
I've purchased an antenna, if I were to plug it in behind the HU, will it work straight away or will it require additional coding?.
Plug and play. Does not require additional coding
Sat Nav Map Updates
SLI FSC
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:36 PM   #14
Reynolds230
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: BMW530E

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nt4l View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I also want to install a wireless antenna on the head unit. Where can I find the explanations on how to access the unit and what to dismantle? Is anybody aware of a video posted for that? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 03:38 AM   #15
M3nt4l
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds230 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I also want to install a wireless antenna on the head unit. Where can I find the explanations on how to access the unit and what to dismantle? Is anybody aware of a video posted for that? Thanks
What vehicle do you have?
Sat Nav Map Updates
SLI FSC
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #16
Reynolds230
Mauritius
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2018 530e
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #17
M3nt4l
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2018 530e
Remove passenger side cover where the airbag switch is) one screw which needs to be removed.

Then using a pry tool the trim panel (air vents and start stop button) will just pull out. I clip the wiring harnesses and put the trim panel to one side.

There will be two screws holding the climate control in remove them and then pry the unit from the bottom and it will pop out. I clip the wiring harness and put it to one side.

Then another two screws for the headunit itself. Unscrew then and pull the headunit forward. Plug in the WiFi Antenna in the WLAN port. Fix the antenna somewhere out the way.

Follow everything in reverse and it should be sorted.

The screws that are removed are TORX 20 or 25 I believe.

Any questions get in touch
Sat Nav Map Updates
SLI FSC
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #18
Reynolds230
Mauritius
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2018 530e
Remove passenger side cover where the airbag switch is) one screw which needs to be removed.

Then using a pry tool the trim panel (air vents and start stop button) will just pull out. I clip the wiring harnesses and put the trim panel to one side.

There will be two screws holding the climate control in remove them and then pry the unit from the bottom and it will pop out. I clip the wiring harness and put it to one side.

Then another two screws for the headunit itself. Unscrew then and pull the headunit forward. Plug in the WiFi Antenna in the WLAN port. Fix the antenna somewhere out the way.

Follow everything in reverse and it should be sorted.

The screws that are removed are TORX 20 or 25 I believe.

Any questions get in touch
Thank you very much. Appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #19
Magista
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 520d M-Sport

Please, Do you have a sound alert for SMS / iMessages?
Appreciate 0