BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Harmon Kardon vs Standard speakers

04-01-2017, 04:28 AM   #23
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Why is streaming through bluetooth losing sound quality? I used to stream through my parrot on the Audi onto the Bose system and it sounded amazing... the files themselves are pretty dinky and surely Bluetooth can transfer losslessly...?
BMW does not use BT 5.0, and even then, there is audio processing and compressing. If you cannot hear the difference, save the hard drive space and go ahead and use inferior audio quality. I unfortunately have nearly perfect pitch and can notice a difference so refuse to subject my ears to compromised quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #24
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Why is streaming through bluetooth losing sound quality? I used to stream through my parrot on the Audi onto the Bose system and it sounded amazing... the files themselves are pretty dinky and surely Bluetooth can transfer losslessly...?
BMW does not use BT 5.0, and even then, there is audio processing and compressing. If you cannot hear the difference, save the hard drive space and go ahead and use inferior audio quality. I unfortunately have nearly perfect pitch and can notice a difference so refuse to subject my ears to compromised quality.
Something doesn't make sense about that still. BT 4.2 is still 1Mbps. 320Kbps rate MP3 files should have no real issues streaming through without loss.... plus I'd assume the recieving device in the car would buffer the file too...

Is there something else more fundamentally wrong than merely the 'bluetooth' aspect...?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #25
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

[Ziggy, it depends.... standard digital audio data transmission over bluetooth is noticeably worse than airplay or other wi-fi methods, or wired. There are efficient codecs like APT-X which improve perceived audio quality but your phone and the receiving unit both need to be compatible. I got my head round it all about 3 years ago but have lost track now.]

EDIT - didn't see page 2 of thread before posting. The above may be obsolete...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #26
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport Med Blue

I picked up my car yesterday, I had specified the upgraded professional hi fi, that is between standard (in UK Ireland ) and the HK. I had HK in my F 10. Maybe it needs to be run in but it doesn't appear to have same clarity and depth of field that the HK (running in non surround mode) did but it's not bad. I don't listen to much music in the car anyway (but have two B&W systems, one stereo, one home cinema at home so I do know a little about audio ) so it works for me
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK443.00
      04-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #27
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
[Ziggy, it depends.... standard digital audio data transmission over bluetooth is noticeably worse than airplay or other wi-fi methods, or wired. There are efficient codecs like APT-X which improve perceived audio quality but your phone and the receiving unit both need to be compatible. I got my head round it all about 3 years ago but have lost track now.]

EDIT - didn't see page 2 of thread before posting. The above may be obsolete...
I guess I'll just see as and when we get to it. Maybe all my audio is crappy enough to innit tell the difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:27 AM   #28
Theos_PT
Registered
Portugal
Rep
Drives: G31 520D

Hifi in G31 vs hi-fi in F31

Hi,

I’m desperate with the sound quality of the Hi-fi (12 speaker) sound system in the G31.
I’m coming from a F31 with the Hi-fi system and I was very satisfied with it. Very involving sound and deep bass!
The G31 hi-fi system bass is very limited and the lack of the rear doors speakers makes a huge difference as the rear speakers are located in the ceiling of the trunk. It improved a bit by fading the sound towards the back buts not enough. If I don’t do this then there is no involvement sound and you only hear the front speakers.

In addition, the radio source sounds much better then the Spotify one when connected to my iPhone (even through cable and with local musics downloaded in to the phone at the highest of quality possible of kbits). It feels like it requires more amplification as you need to turn the sound really up to get an involving sound.

I’m so disappointed with the hi-fi sound on the G31. I don’t know if the HK is good but the hi-fi is very bad specially if you are comming from a F31 Hi-fi.

Just wanted to get my opinion out there as Ive read so many threads online and then decided to go for the Hi-fi.

Cheers,
Theos
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK443.00
      02-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #29
planehazza
Rep
Drives: 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theos_PT View Post
Hi,

I’m desperate with the sound quality of the Hi-fi (12 speaker) sound system in the G31.
I’m coming from a F31 with the Hi-fi system and I was very satisfied with it. Very involving sound and deep bass!
The G31 hi-fi system bass is very limited and the lack of the rear doors speakers makes a huge difference as the rear speakers are located in the ceiling of the trunk. It improved a bit by fading the sound towards the back buts not enough. If I don’t do this then there is no involvement sound and you only hear the front speakers.

In addition, the radio source sounds much better then the Spotify one when connected to my iPhone (even through cable and with local musics downloaded in to the phone at the highest of quality possible of kbits). It feels like it requires more amplification as you need to turn the sound really up to get an involving sound.

I’m so disappointed with the hi-fi sound on the G31. I don’t know if the HK is good but the hi-fi is very bad specially if you are comming from a F31 Hi-fi.

Just wanted to get my opinion out there as Ive read so many threads online and then decided to go for the Hi-fi.

Cheers,
Theos
I found this too; spotify is generally quiet anyway, but I suspect that this is worsened due to the compression caused by transfer via bluetooth. On my android phone I downloaded an EQ app, so I can improve the audio from my phone quite a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #30
Alpine Missile
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 (DCT w/ Comp. Pack)

Not impressed with the HK system in my M550i. I think they've gone the wrong direction due to the door trim panel design... it looks like they're limited in space. The speakers should be much better considering it's an $80k car... I love everything else about the car though
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #31
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G31 530xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Missile View Post
Not impressed with the HK system in my M550i. I think they've gone the wrong direction due to the door trim panel design... it looks like they're limited in space. The speakers should be much better considering it's an $80k car... I love everything else about the car though
I had the same feeling! Normally H/K offers good sound quality. Ok, not great, but good. In G30 i tested - it was average... i could really compare it to my standard hi-fi system in my prev. F31... was veeery surprised and ordered B&W (still waiting though) and read in neighbour post that difference between B&W and H/K is not massive... ooh.. i'm very scared now..
      03-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #32
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Have you guys played with the equalisers much? I find dramatic differences depending on the audio source and the equaliser settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 01:59 AM   #33
planehazza
Rep
Drives: 530e

My mate has just bought a brand new MY67 M4 with all the toys. His HK system is leaps and bounds better than the standard setup in my MY67 530e.

Last edited by planehazza; 03-08-2018 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 03:31 AM   #34
dicky.hillary
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520D SE

After having HK in the F10 and G30 from my perspective the G30 is far better... once you let it run in. It also needs a bit of tuning in via the EQ and I keep the surround option off as I find it ruins the sound.

As for streaming... I don't ever do that. I have a 500Gb HDD plugged in with a replica of my itunes collection. Saves a lot of work in transferring to the internal drive. It's better quality than streaming but still lower than a good CD.

It's very subjective though, what sounds fantastic to me may sound pants to other people.

R

Current : 2022 G05 X45e
Previous : G30 520D SE / F10 520D SE / F31 320 M-Sport Touring / E92 320D SE Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #35
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

It is surprising how people are hearing such dramatic differences between HK systems in different cars. They are essentially the same drive units from the same parts bins in the factory, installed in very similar locations. If anything the G30 implementation should sound slightly better than the F10 because the door mids are mounted on rigid metal and aren’t vibrating the door card nearly as much, but the high pass filter at whatever it is, maybe 200hz ?, means this isn’t a huge issue anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #36
SediBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d/530e

To anyone that thinks the F30 HK sounds different to G30 HK - let me put this thing to bed for you.

1. Essentially they are similar. Essentially.
2. Different acoustics - size of car, doors, noise isolation (better in G30)

So why do the 2 HK systems sound different?

1. G30 has 7 x 25mm tweeters compared to the F3x that has 7 x 26mm tweeters. Yup folks different setup.

So your tweeters by door mirrors are different, so is the one behind the SatNav screen. Because these tweeters play directly towards your ears (unlike base that's not directional) you will notice they are less 'filling'. In the F3x you get better mids and high's are not so high - I think they wanted to define the high notes better in the G30, hence the change in tweeters - so you will notice better definition of your high notes in the G30.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #37
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SediBMW View Post
G30 has 7 x 25mm tweeters compared to the F3x that has 7 x 26mm tweeters. Yup folks different setup.

.....In the F3x you get better mids and high's are not so high - I think they wanted to define the high notes better in the G30, hence the change in tweeters - so you will notice better definition of your high notes in the G30.
These are the part numbers and application listings on RealOEM:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/part?q=65139184794

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/part?q=65139226357

Sometimes both parts are found in the same system, e.g. HK system in the F20. Are you sure there's actually any difference in the sensitivity/frequency response/quality of electronics, rather than just a packaging/cosmetic difference ?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #38
fourlolz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive G30

Getting my new 540 with Harmann Kardon system. And the question is - how to perform songs on it with max quality?
1) which audio format to choose - mp3, AAC, flac or smth else?
2) which way of playing is better - using wireless AppleCarPlay, using USB storage, using cable USB connection phone-car, using cars hard drive?

Some may answer - good quality CD. But... in 2018...CD...lets skip this answer)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #39
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlolz View Post
Getting my new 540 with Harmann Kardon system. And the question is - how to perform songs on it with max quality?
1) which audio format to choose - mp3, AAC, flac or smth else?
2) which way of playing is better - using wireless AppleCarPlay, using USB storage, using cable USB connection phone-car, using cars hard drive?

Some may answer - good quality CD. But... in 2018...CD...lets skip this answer)
1) flac or CD >> mp3
2) usb storage >> CarPlay > hard drive
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #40
davidcapi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i M

I just ordered a 120i here in Costa Rica. The car comes with a very basic/bad audio system made out of 4 speakers I believe. I was planning on upgrading it to HK 12 speakers set but the dealer wants $2000 for this extra.

I noticed that upgrading audio to HK on the X2 costs $900 in the U.S.

Is there a reason for such a high price in my case? I know I will be paying a small extra for the fact that I'm buying this in Costa Rica but still not sure if going forward with the upgrade. Any help?

Sorry everyone, just noticed this is for the 5 series.

Last edited by davidcapi; 04-24-2018 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #41
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcapi View Post
I just ordered a 120i here in Costa Rica. The car comes with a very basic/bad audio system made out of 4 speakers I believe. I was planning on upgrading it to HK 12 speakers set but the dealer wants $2000 for this extra.

I noticed that upgrading audio to HK on the X2 costs $900 in the U.S.

Is there a reason for such a high price in my case? I know I will be paying a small extra for the fact that I'm buying this in Costa Rica but still not sure if going forward with the upgrade. Any help?

Sorry everyone, just noticed this is for the 5 series.
Not all HK Audio configurations are the same. This is evident is lower number series as well as i001/i012. Have you checked the specs?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #42
davidcapi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Not all HK Audio configurations are the same. This is evident is lower number series as well as i001/i012. Have you checked the specs?
The breakdown for this HK configuration is as follows.

- 1 mid range speaker on instrument's panel.
- 1 tweeter on instrument's panel.
- 2 tweeters on front window triangles.
- 2 mid range speakers on front doors.
- 2 mid range speakers on back doors.
- 2 tweeters on back doors.
- 2 subwoofers under front seats.
- Metallic speaker grills.
- Harman/Kardon inscriptions.
- 360w Amplifier.

Since the car comes with just 4 speakers -nothing special- setup, not even Alpine audio system, I imagine the extra cost comes from having to fit all the extra wiring and such, but truth be told, I have no idea how this works.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #43
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcapi View Post
The breakdown for this HK configuration is as follows.

- 1 mid range speaker on instrument's panel.
- 1 tweeter on instrument's panel.
- 2 tweeters on front window triangles.
- 2 mid range speakers on front doors.
- 2 mid range speakers on back doors.
- 2 tweeters on back doors.
- 2 subwoofers under front seats.
- Metallic speaker grills.
- Harman/Kardon inscriptions.
- 360w Amplifier.

Since the car comes with just 4 speakers -nothing special- setup, not even Alpine audio system, I imagine the extra cost comes from having to fit all the extra wiring and such, but truth be told, I have no idea how this works.
Amplifier, additional speakers/dampening material, and wiring I imagine; but, not sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 03:51 AM   #44
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Gotta say I really like the sound quality of HK in the g30. I had the bose in an old Audi A3 and although the base and sound was great it is just too much for a car. You don't want to shake all the joints loose in the car really.

The key for me is whether the system can deal with classical music which changes in volume from the start of tracks to the end etc. Eg I think it was the 'Jack Sparrow' track from Dead Mans Chest that I could never hear the beginning parts on my e61 standard hifi. But the track then reaches crescendos later on and the last thing you want to be doing is tweaking the volume knob all the time. I find the HK the right balance of cost, quality and appropriateness for a car...
Appreciate 0