BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery 2021 M550i - Production Begins!

10-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #1
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

I know what you're thinking.. is this just another random thread about someone posting their car has entered the production queue? Let me assure you of this... you are absolutely right. I apologize in advance for piling on another thread but I am pretty pumped and will post a few data points from my point of view that could be interesting along the way (I hope).

You might have seen me mention that I was under the impression my car would begin the week of October 9. This is what I was told when I called BMW Genius a week and a half ago. It seems that schedule has been moved up, as the tracker shows I have begun tracking today. I don't want to give people false hope, but it seems the data they give you can absolutely be moved up. I am sure the reverse can happen as well. This may have been mentioned before, but the day production begins is the first time your VIN shows up. Not that there's anything I would do with it but just an FYI.

Name:  ProductionBeginsBlingBling.png
Views: 2031
Size:  136.0 KB

Here is an updated timeline along the way:

October 14: Order received.
October 15: Scheduled for Production
October 30: Production Begins
November 7: In the Paint Booth
November 10 (morning UTC-5): Entering Assembly Line
November 10 (early afternoon UTC-5): Assembly in Progress
November 10 (late evening UTC-5): Quality Check
November 11: Final Assembly
November 11: Ready for Transport
November 11: Awaiting Carrier Assignment
November 13: Dispatched From Factory
November 27: At the Port
December 14: In Transit (vessel scheduled shows boat left Dec 12)
December 30: Arrived at Port of Baltimore!
January 18: Still waiting.....slowly losing mind... questioning if this car is even real or am I being trolled?
January 21: Car arrived at dealer! The end!

What I ordered:

2021 M550i
Color: Black Sapphire Metallic
Interior: Black Nappa Leather with contrast stitching
Packages:
  • Dynamic Handing Package
  • Executive Package
  • Driving Assistance Plus
  • Parking Assistance Package
  • Shadowline Package
  • Front and Rear Heated Seats
  • Front Massaging Seats
  • Front Ventilated Seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Space-saver Spare
  • 20" 668M Wheels
  • Red Brake Calipers

Let's the waiting and obsessing continue!

Last edited by crypto; 01-18-2021 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
BimmerGeneral14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
I know what you're thinking.. is this just another random thread about someone posting their car has entered the production queue? Let me assure you of this... you are absolutely right. I apologize in advance for piling on another thread but I am pretty pumped and will post a few data points from my point of view that could be interesting along the way (I hope).

You might have seen me mention that I was under the impression my car would begin the week of October 9. This is what I was told when I called BMW Genius a week and a half ago. It seems that schedule has been moved up, as the tracker shows I have begun tracking today. I don't want to give people false hope, but it seems the data they give you can absolutely be moved up. I am sure the reverse can happen as well. This may have been mentioned before, but the day production begins is the first time your VIN shows up. Not that there's anything I would do with it but just an FYI.

Attachment 2449608

Here is my timeline so far as of October 30, 2020:

October 14: Order received.
October 15: Scheduled for Production
October 30: Production Begins

What I ordered:

2021 M550i
Color: Black Sapphire Metallic
Packages:
  • Dynamic Handing Package
  • Executive Package
  • Driving Assistance Plus
  • Parking Assistance Package
  • Shadowline Package
  • Front and Read Heated Seats
  • Front Massaging Seats
  • Front Ventilated Seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Space-saver Spare
  • 20" 668M Wheels
  • Red Brake Calipers

Let's the waiting and obsessing continue!
Nice build!! Had mine for three weeks....still learning, but I can tell you this....YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT!!
Appreciate 1
crypto1445.50
      11-01-2020, 10:26 PM   #3
crypto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeneral14 View Post
Nice build!! Had mine for three weeks....still learning, but I can tell you this....YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT!!
Nice - thanks! What did you get? Also - order or from the lot?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
admannj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Congrats! Great build. The wait will be well worth it.

In Garage: '21 G30 540i xDrive
Retired: '18 F15 X5 xDrive35i | '17 G30 540i xDrive | '15 F15 X5 xDrive 35i | '14 F10 535i xDrive | '12 E70 X5 xDrive35i | '11 F10 535i xDrive | '07 E90 328xi
Appreciate 1
crypto1445.50
      11-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2021 M550i (soon)

Looks great!
Appreciate 1
crypto1445.50
      11-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #6
crypto
Rep

Thanks. Just called BMW Genius to check my production status and seems I am on the same schedule as Hoyas. Automated line says I'll be done Nov 11. Hi 5!

Although the BMW Genius automated line is a bit annoying with its prompts. Literally has a dedicated option just for production status (Press 1), which then transfer you to a line that doesn't have anything to do with production status.. transfers you again.. and makes you tell it you're calling about your production status. hah
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

Quote:
Thanks. Just called BMW Genius to check my production status and seems I am on the same schedule as Hoyas. Automated line says I'll be done Nov 11. Hi 5!

Although the BMW Genius automated line is a bit annoying with its prompts. Literally has a dedicated option just for production status (Press 1), which then transfer you to a line that doesn't have anything to do with production status.. transfers you again.. and makes you tell it you're calling about your production status. hah
Hopefully we'll be on the same boat then all the way through!

It is interesting and not something I truly noticed or paid attention to, but you make a great point about how annoying the automated system really is. Weird they put this effort in, and then sorta shit the bad at the 1 yard line...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #8
Texox
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

I almost got the black sapphire metallic, but went with the dark graphite metallic instead... hopefully you will be here by the end of the year. I am currently awaiting a ship
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:25 PM   #9
crypto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyas490 View Post
Hopefully we'll be on the same boat then all the way through!

It is interesting and not something I truly noticed or paid attention to, but you make a great point about how annoying the automated system really is. Weird they put this effort in, and then sorta shit the bad at the 1 yard line...
Yea I hope so too and I think it seems likely a good chance this point! Let's see who notices the Exterior Body Assembly (or further if it skips) first. I am not creating anything to automate checking.. just good ol' fashion manually logigng in every 2-3 hours. ;D
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #10
crypto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texox View Post
I almost got the black sapphire metallic, but went with the dark graphite metallic instead... hopefully you will be here by the end of the year. I am currently awaiting a ship
Nice. Yours will be here before you know it now. I am not sure how I ended up with Black Sapphire Metallic over Dark Graphic Metallic or Carbon Black (the sometimes blue color). I think I just saw one with the shadowline trim I was a big fan of and just came back to wanting it. I had an Alpine White 2010 535xi before but then my F150 Limited is a similar black. They will look nice together.. assuming my wife doesn't have a change of heart and make me sell it. ;D
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:08 AM   #11
crypto
Rep

Sweet just got a new update:

Exterior body assembly begins

Your BMW is taking shape. Exterior body construction has begun.

hoyas490 - check if your status has changed too!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #12
robspot89
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2021 M550i

Mine just finished production! Took around 3 days - maybe our cars will be on the same boat.

Name:  My5.png
Views: 1613
Size:  130.2 KB

EDIT: Forgot to include my spec, was a bit too excited about the new status I guess.

2021 M550i
Color: Bernina Grey Amber Effect

Packages:

Executive Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Parking Assistance Package
Shadowline Package
20" M Wheels 846M w/perf. rft
Front Ventilated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Red Brake Calipers

Last edited by robspot89; 11-06-2020 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Added spec
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #13
Texox
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robspot89 View Post
Mine just finished production! Took around 3 days - maybe our cars will be on the same boat.

Attachment 2454569

EDIT: Forgot to include my spec, was a bit too excited about the new status I guess.

2021 M550i

Packages:

Executive Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Shadowline Package
Front Ventilated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Red Brake Calipers
You might make it onto the ship with me... I am currently "at the port" waiting to be designated to a ship.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #14
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sweet just got a new update:

Exterior body assembly begins

Your BMW is taking shape. Exterior body construction has begun.

hoyas490 - check if your status has changed too!
Was just logging on to post my update of the same exact news hahaha. Glad to see we're riding in style down the Dingolfing assembly line "together"
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #15
robspot89
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You might make it onto the ship with me... I am currently "at the port" waiting to be designated to a ship.
I hope so!

Does anybody know how long it'll take from there? I expect 5-6 weeks until it's here (transport to the port, shipping, customs, in-country transport to the dealership) - what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #16
Texox
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope so!

Does anybody know how long it'll take from there? I expect 5-6 weeks until it's here (transport to the port, shipping, customs, in-country transport to the dealership) - what do you think?
I think 4-6 weeks depending on whether you are east coast or west coast.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #17
crypto
Rep

Quote:
That would be sweet. Any idea on the regularity of ships to the US? E.g. we know some left recently based on a few updates on here. I wonder if on average it's every 2-3 weeks or is it really just random as to when a big ship fills up? I wonder how often one can luck out on timing and get shipped pretty quick...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #18
crypto
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 2454569

2021 M550i

Packages:

Executive Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Shadowline Package
Front Ventilated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Red Brake Calipers
Nice! Different wheels and color but pretty similar otherwise. Looks like you'll be in the same figurative boat as me if not literal. It's going to be [damn near] winter and the car will show up with summer tires. I am thinking to have some All Seasons swapped on immediately and take the summer RFTs off. I wonder if i can get the dealership to just do that as part of the delivery...

Three days is quick but sounds like it's in-line with what BMW Genius says as the completion date. They said car will be done Nov 11. I assume they don't work weekends. So Fri / Mon / Tues / Done Wed .. about 3-4 days. ��
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #19
robspot89
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Three days is quick but sounds like it's in-line with what BMW Genius says as the completion date. They said car will be done Nov 11. I assume they don't work weekends. So Fri / Mon / Tues / Done Wed .. about 3-4 days. ��
I think the tool is a bit off anyways. I just checked, I texted my GF that the exterior assembly began on Monday (Needless to say, she was thriiiiilled to hear this ). So it was actually around 3 1/2 - 4 days.

I'm currently eyeing these (I'm in IL, so winter tires are a must lol):

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/6...ET-BLACK-MATTE

Quite expensive though, I wonder if my dealer can get me a good deal here.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #20
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 2454569

2021 M550i

Packages:

Executive Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Shadowline Package
Front Ventilated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Red Brake Calipers
Nice! Different wheels and color but pretty similar otherwise. Looks like you'll be in the same figurative boat as me if not literal. It's going to be [damn near] winter and the car will show up with summer tires. I am thinking to have some All Seasons swapped on immediately and take the summer RFTs off. I wonder if i can get the dealership to just do that as part of the delivery...

Oh they absolutely will work a factory on weekends, likely 3 shifts. That's relatively normal for BMW's 3/4 series plant in Munich that I toured. Not sure about dingolfing. But would imagine to make up for corona backlogs they'd be working the factories as much as possible?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #21
crypto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyas490 View Post
Oh they absolutely will work a factory on weekends, likely 3 shifts. That's relatively normal for BMW's 3/4 series plant in Munich that I toured. Not sure about dingolfing. But would imagine to make up for corona backlogs they'd be working the factories as much as possible?
Sweet .. and unless the reporting is lagging behind by a day.. my car just entered In the paint booth this AM! Maybe this thing will get done sooner than I thought
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #22
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sweet .. and unless the reporting is lagging behind by a day.. my car just entered In the paint booth this AM! Maybe this thing will get done sooner than I thought
Have you had any movement since? Mine has been sitting in "Paint Booth" since Friday according to the website and the BMW Genius line. Thought it would be showing out of that by now, especially since they claim the finish date is still 11/11...

Only thought I have, if mine is stuck in and yours isn't, is that it's my Tanzanite Blue paint adding some paint booth time. Otherwise, I'm just hoping it's a website delay and not an actual factory line / finish date delay.
Appreciate 0