BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Taylorwilde
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i coupe N55 white

Water Pump Issues

My water pump housing has a crack in it Europarts shows one for £450 but ebay has some (First Line) for around £100. Does anybody have any experience with this brand? or any other cheaper water pumps?
Are they worth the saving or does it give more headaches in the long run?

Thanks in advance
Taylor
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would only buy OE or OEM. No no-name parts for me. I think you either end up paying more now, or a little now AND more later!

Replace your e-water pump, e-thermostat and all the bolts. You might also replace that U-shaped hose as well. You might ask your dealer for a discount and see how they would charge you. Also order the parts from a BMW OEM parts discounter. Most dealers over here will charge around 900 euros for this job. But my dealer really cut me a really fair amount off that price. It pays to ask around. IF your car's been serviced regularly - some dealers might even goodwill some or all of the repair bill.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
+ 1 to what Dack said.

Try amazon, not sure on shipping but here is one for $500 CAD, probably around 250 GPB, add another $100 CAD and you get your thermostat.

Had a buddy who works @ BMW run the part numbers for me - these are the most current part numbers.

https://www.amazon.ca/Engine-Electri...MSEYNF8WS3VG3B

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Taylorwilde
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you both for your views, i think i am best off not skimping on the parts now like you say. I was just hoping for something a little cheaper as i have just shelled a fair bit out on other parts this month!
Thanks for the help on the part numbers also, i will look into prices over here in the UK first but may end up getting one shipped over.

One more question, why would you also advise the thermostat replacement? is this just a standard change that when one is done the other is to? or simply a precautionary measure seen as the pump has failed?

Thanks again
Taylor
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorwilde View Post
Thank you both for your views, i think i am best off not skimping on the parts now like you say. I was just hoping for something a little cheaper as i have just shelled a fair bit out on other parts this month!
Thanks for the help on the part numbers also, i will look into prices over here in the UK first but may end up getting one shipped over.

One more question, why would you also advise the thermostat replacement? is this just a standard change that when one is done the other is to? or simply a precautionary measure seen as the pump has failed?

Thanks again
Taylor
Yep. Also because some coolant leaks happen at the thermostat housing. That is where mine was leaking coolant - but only on really cold winter days. Both parts are known to fail - so its smart to replace both.

I also replaced both the pump and e-stat and also the U-shaped coolant hose. My dealer also installed my FMIC while they were in there bc you have to drove the intercooler to get better access to the e-pump & thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
Taylorwilde
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks alot for the input a friend of mine that owns a garage has got me a decent price for both the bits and the labour today. Cheers
Appreciate 0