BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2020 540i - They broke my Car - 6 month fix.. WTF

01-28-2022, 02:58 PM   #23
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

As I said earlier your legally entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of a leased asset.

The owner (BMW finance) or one of its entities (BMW NA) has now denied you that right by their actions.

You could stop paying and even abandon the deal and bring them to court for damages/refunds etc if so inclined.

Seems your missing a great opportunity here to fcuk BMW back, get a lawyer and you could be driving away in a much better brand new car as most corporations will do anything to avoid actual litigation.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #24
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Wow that situation sucks. Especially the loaner car not being equivalent or better.

I was just in with my 2020 yesterday getting that brake assist recall taken care of at the same time as the 2 year oil service. I know they messed with the software because I lost all my coding. I'm fine with that, as I'll just code again with Bimmercode.

The part that confuses me is when I check the BMW Driver's Guide app / Information / Imprint - the version still says 11/20 (same as it has since they updated the software during the 1 year service). When I picked up the car I questioned the service rep as to why the app does not reflect a more recent date for the iDrive, and the guy said that he was not sure the app updated in real time. I went out to the car and looked all thru the menus but could not find a place to confirm which I drive software version I have. You gents with remote software update are so much better off that you are not at the mercy of the dealership to perform the update. The iDrive 7 lite thing still gets under my skin.
      01-28-2022, 07:58 PM   #25
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
Wow that situation sucks. Especially the loaner car not being equivalent or better.

I was just in with my 2020 yesterday getting that brake assist recall taken care of at the same time as the 2 year oil service. I know they messed with the software because I lost all my coding. I'm fine with that, as I'll just code again with Bimmercode.

The part that confuses me is when I check the BMW Driver's Guide app / Information / Imprint - the version still says 11/20 (same as it has since they updated the software during the 1 year service). When I picked up the car I questioned the service rep as to why the app does not reflect a more recent date for the iDrive, and the guy said that he was not sure the app updated in real time. I went out to the car and looked all thru the menus but could not find a place to confirm which I drive software version I have. You gents with remote software update are so much better off that you are not at the mercy of the dealership to perform the update. The iDrive 7 lite thing still gets under my skin.
Yeah I am still pissed about iDrive 7 lite. Really sours me on the brand.

You can check the version in the car’s onboard manual in the imprint section. The app will update too, but you have to manually access the car in the app and hit refresh so it pulls down the new manual information. The imprint in there too will have the version.
Appreciate 1
MauiSteve287.00
      01-29-2022, 01:32 PM   #26
nkole
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I'd investigate the HI lemon law

In many states after a car has been in the shop for 30 days your entitled to a replacement or your money back. I'd investigate the law in Hawaii.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #27
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
Possibly due to the chip shortage. If BMW is giving you a loaner for 6 months, i'd enjoy the hell out of that car. Not quite your car, but if were me, i'd be planning lots of long range weekend trips everywhere. Think of it as free rental for 6months. Cant beat that !
I'd like to do "lots of long range weekend road trips" in Hawaii where the OP lives.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 05:04 PM   #28
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post

The owner (BMW finance) or one of its entities (BMW NA) has now denied you that right by their actions.

You could stop paying and even abandon the deal and bring them to court for damages/refunds etc if so inclined.

Seems your missing a great opportunity here to fcuk BMW back, get a lawyer and you could be driving away in a much better brand new car as most corporations will do anything to avoid actual litigation.
I don't know friend if I agree with you on this one. Lots of BMW hate and lawyer up talk, two things I loathe, especially the knee jerk I'm gonna sue everybody and take advantage of corporate America in the US. Maybe it different in Ireland and this is what you need to do, but the OP can lawyer up all he wants on this and BMW isn't going to do shit, nor should they. Parts shortage are industry wide. If they put him in a G30 and I'm sure they will, he is in a like vehicle.
HerkHealer1728.00
      01-29-2022, 05:13 PM   #29
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
I don't care about shortages and supply chain excuses. If the dealer damaged my car and it's going to take six months to fix it, I don't think I should accept that.

https://consumeractionlawgroup.com/h...ar-for-repair/
Appreciate 1
CnSky331.00
      01-29-2022, 05:28 PM   #30
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
I don't care about shortages and supply chain excuses. If the dealer damaged my car and it's going to take six months to fix it, I don't think I should accept that.

I think BMW is doing him right. Maybe not the same series up front for a loaner, but its what they had in stock at the time. As many members have said, they can put him into another 5 series loaner once it becomes available. From there, he has a Free rental vehicle for 6 months. As I said earlier. Please give this to me!

I dont see how spending money on lawyers would make this any better. The chip and parts shortages are hitting everyone everywhere.
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337450.50
      01-29-2022, 09:55 PM   #31
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540ix

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
I would call a couple times a week and see what upgraded loaner you could get. Push for the 5 and even the 8.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 10:29 AM   #32
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Yeah I am still pissed about iDrive 7 lite. Really sours me on the brand.

You can check the version in the car’s onboard manual in the imprint section. The app will update too, but you have to manually access the car in the app and hit refresh so it pulls down the new manual information. The imprint in there too will have the version.
Thanks for this LogicalApex. So I opened up the drivers guide app on my iPhone and clicked the car icon at the top left corner. This brought up my car and below were a couple of places to click Update. Last night I got a server is unavailable due to maintenance sort of warning, but this morning I tried again and it updated successfully.

The Imprint now shows as Version: 11/21

I have yet to check out the drivers guide imprint in the car- which should be a useful thing to check for any of us ID7 Lite owners after a visit to the BMW service department.

I've configured the Amazon Alexa thing in the My BMW app, and on the iDrive screen in the car. Hey Alexa seems to trigger the blue circle on the iDrive screen, but if I ask Alexa sample questions I don't get voice back responses, so I've not figured out where I've gone wrong or if this is an android only feature.
      01-30-2022, 12:34 PM   #33
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post

I think BMW is doing him right. Maybe not the same series up front for a loaner, but its what they had in stock at the time. As many members have said, they can put him into another 5 series loaner once it becomes available. From there, he has a Free rental vehicle for 6 months. As I said earlier. Please give this to me!

I dont see how spending money on lawyers would make this any better. The chip and parts shortages are hitting everyone everywhere.
I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment that BMW is doing him right or treating him well. Giving someone a replacement for a car you F'd up is literally the bare minimum. You could argue they could just give him a Toyota Camry rental from Enterprise but that would be absurd.

I'm not sure what the right recourse or solution is but they should surely give something more. I don't know they lawyering up is my first step but I would talk to the dealer about something more. If the said in 2 weeks we'll have a 540i loaner for you that would be good in my book. Or extending your warranty or sending you a BMW keychain (lol). I mean six months of a 3 series just isn't an appropriate remedy.

Edit: also just to be clear. I'm not saying the dealership is treating him poorly either. Just that more should be done. For all I know they are working on a better solution already.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2022, 02:23 PM   #34
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Joe no BMW hate but it seems some on here are blinded by BMW and won't say a thing wrong about them.

I work in commercial aircraft leaisng and would be terrified if we or a company we were contracting to maintain or prepare an aircraft messed up an asset so much it was unusable even if only for part shortages.

The simple fact is you have a right to quiet enjoyment of a leased asset or financed asset if financed by the manufacturer.

This isn't lawyer talk it part of any such contract.

If BMW called you in for warranty work and they are also the finance or lease provider they have really F'd up. They are denying you what your paying for due to their fault.

If they don't do the right thing then the OP should get a lawyer involved, I bet even the threat will have them doing anything he demands to return the lease/finance.

Why would you pay for a car and not have that car or equivalent/better?

As an example would you pay to rent a 6 room mansion but then let the letting agent put you in a 1 bed apartment for 6 month due to the Aircon breaking.. I bet you wouldn't so what is this any different?

OP take a hard stand here, demand a car at least as good as what they put out of service for 6 months by their actions and that your still paying for .

QUOTE=Joe-BMW33;28527716]
Quote:

I don't know friend if I agree with you on this one. Lots of BMW hate and lawyer up talk, two things I loathe, especially the knee jerk I'm gonna sue everybody and take advantage of corporate America in the US. Maybe it different in Ireland and this is what you need to do, but the OP can lawyer up all he wants on this and BMW isn't going to do shit, nor should they. Parts shortage are industry wide. If they put him in a G30 and I'm sure they will, he is in a like vehicle.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 02:38 PM   #35
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
CnSky

First, how come every time you reply by quoting it is so f'd up!! Had to get that off my chest as it's like a jigsaw puzzle when you quote people, I don't think you are using the quote button

I hear you and of course I am sure my Italian temper would run amuck if they did not do right by me. Trust me, I am not defending BMW. I have had my issues over the years, specifically an engine rod and seal job done under warranty that the dealer messed up and would not own it because it's a huge warranty job that they would not get paid twice on. I went to BMW NA on that one and got nowhere. Maybe I should have lawyered up. Instead I just blew coil after coil and they just replaced coil after coil and stayed mum on why I was blowing coils. I dumped the car (E65).

In the OP's case, I think it may be premature to lawyer up. Personally, if this happened to me right now I would be pumped. 6 months of no miles on my car (there is a $ value in that), it is winter time and I get to drive a like car like I stole it (assuming G30) and just kill it with mileage and pets.
      01-31-2022, 02:44 PM   #36
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Haha I find the quote thing on here confusing as hell so seem to always put my quote out of sequence!! 🤦

I guess I'm not saying lawyer up immediately but he should push them and if they don't budge then take it further if required. Mentioning right to quiet enjoyment will rattle them.

Seems weird how car values work in the USA, here in ireland you lose value constantly even if not driving the car hence why I would be mega upset if I planned to keep the car post finance/lease as I'm not enjoying it yet losing resale value!!

Is that not the case in US?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 04:15 PM   #37
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Haha I find the quote thing on here confusing as hell so seem to always put my quote out of sequence!! 🤦

I guess I'm not saying lawyer up immediately but he should push them and if they don't budge then take it further if required. Mentioning right to quiet enjoyment will rattle them.

Seems weird how car values work in the USA, here in ireland you lose value constantly even if not driving the car hence why I would be mega upset if I planned to keep the car post finance/lease as I'm not enjoying it yet losing resale value!!

Is that not the case in US?
I think it may be viewed differently if a lease because you pay for miles up front and to return a car from lease 6,000 miles short (assuming 12k miles per year) would be like throwing money away on your monthly payment that is based on agreed upon miles. They sing you for going over miles for depreciation but they don't give back mikes for appreciation against residual value, which supports what I'm saying on ownership. A two year old G30 with 18k miles will fetch $2-$3k more than the same G30 with 24k miles. Maybe more.

I don't lease anymore and I'm overly conscious with conserving mileage. I've buy, trade and sell more frequently than most people and I'm always conscious of maximizing my next deal. I'm compulsive to a fault. For example, I'm casually looking at a 2020 M5C this week with low miles. Once I get in the dealer and if the car is pristine, "casual" goes out the window. I'd need to get $60k for mine to make it work. Never know in this market.
CnSky331.00