BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Shuddering noise G30 M550i 2017 - SOLVED

12-13-2023, 04:04 AM   #1
jfunkers
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i 2017

Shuddering noise G30 M550i 2017 - SOLVED

I bought new tires to my car and after the tire change there was a shuddering noise and a feeling as almost if abs was engaging when accelerating and braking even in very slow speeds on a dry asphalt which seemed strange. The tire shop recommended to have the wheels checked in a wheel repair shop as they could not balance them well enough. I did that and the wheels were perfect but the issue did not disappear. Then I began suspecting it is something to do with the driveline and took it to a local authorized BMW service. They quoted me 6000 euros for transfer case change.
I began searching information on some forums and found a BMW North America instruction on transfer case issues which reads that first you should check any tire issues especially in 4wd cars because for example if the rolling circumference is different between front and rear axles, that might be the issue. I understood that it should be close to 0% difference and not over 1%. If that does not help then you should first make an oil change for the transfer case.
I calculated the difference in the new tires and it was 0,99%.
I read their diagnosis report and they did not do either of these steps.
Luckily I had another set of wheels and tires up north (OEM wheels with BMW approved winter tires) and had them sent here. I had them changed and the problem is gone!! Cost me 24 euros instead of 6000.
Appreciate 0