BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2023 5 Series Build Configurator Is Up

08-12-2022, 07:02 AM   #1
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
2023 5 Series Build Configurator Is Up

Looks like the 2023 5 Series build configurator is up now on BMWUSA.COM

Just did a quick look at the M550i and the parking assistance package is available again, still no B&W, no more premium package but executive package is still available.

Overall vehicle price went up along with the options slightly up as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #2
JMP14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 540

I just checked this out and now have a dilemma re my 2023 build. I originally wanted bluestone (unquestionably my #1 color choice) when I placed my order in April. Unfortunately I didn't get my build allocation until July which bumped me to a 2023 build. Bluestone was deleted as an option but skyscraper grey seemed like a reasonable alternative. But, my CA told me that skyscraper was not available on m-sport pack (we both agreed that made zero sense, but in checking the 2023 order sheet that was available that is what was indicated). So I somewhat begrudgingly picked phytonic blue. I am a blue fan but given my current F30 is estoril blue I wanted a change. I also really like how all the black trim in the shadowline pack and red calipers contrast against a grey/silver car.
Well the online configurator shows skyscraper CAN be added to a 540 msport!! My ordered car has landed in Baltimore so expect it to arrive at the dealer soon. I am torn as to whether I take the phytonic or wait for a skyscraper to be built? Given limited inventory on dealer lots I never saw a phytonic with msport. I know I may see it and really like it. But there's part of me that still leans towards waiting and getting the skyscraper (although haven't seen any in person either).
Color is such a personal choice....but open to any thoughts of steering me one way or the other. It sucks I likely won't be able to see both colors in person before making a decision.
Appreciate 1
NGT25614.50
      08-12-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP14 View Post
I just checked this out and now have a dilemma re my 2023 build. I originally wanted bluestone (unquestionably my #1 color choice) when I placed my order in April. Unfortunately I didn't get my build allocation until July which bumped me to a 2023 build. Bluestone was deleted as an option but skyscraper grey seemed like a reasonable alternative. But, my CA told me that skyscraper was not available on m-sport pack (we both agreed that made zero sense, but in checking the 2023 order sheet that was available that is what was indicated). So I somewhat begrudgingly picked phytonic blue. I am a blue fan but given my current F30 is estoril blue I wanted a change. I also really like how all the black trim in the shadowline pack and red calipers contrast against a grey/silver car.
Well the online configurator shows skyscraper CAN be added to a 540 msport!! My ordered car has landed in Baltimore so expect it to arrive at the dealer soon. I am torn as to whether I take the phytonic or wait for a skyscraper to be built? Given limited inventory on dealer lots I never saw a phytonic with msport. I know I may see it and really like it. But there's part of me that still leans towards waiting and getting the skyscraper (although haven't seen any in person either).
Color is such a personal choice....but open to any thoughts of steering me one way or the other. It sucks I likely won't be able to see both colors in person before making a decision.
Patience is hard, so I don't know what I'd do. But my objective thought is that it's a lot of money to spend on something you're not in love with. You could just wait and see how the blue looks. You might see it and realize it's perfect. If not, wait for a gray one. That sucks that you got (or they got) bad info on such a consequential option.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
JMP1496.50
      08-12-2022, 11:01 AM   #4
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
Phytonic looks great on a sport. I had to take dark graphite which wasn't my first choice because of lack of vehicles as well. Like NGT2 mentioned, make a choice after seeing it. Might be hard to resist lol. Can always tell them you need a day to sleep on it after seeing it if you need more time.
Appreciate 1
JMP1496.50
      08-12-2022, 11:03 AM   #5
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1798479

Here are some phytonic pics for you.
Appreciate 1
JMP1496.50
      08-12-2022, 11:07 AM   #6
JMP14
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Patience is hard, so I don't know what I'd do. But my objective thought is that it's a lot of money to spend on something you're not in love with. You could just wait and see how the blue looks. You might see it and realize it's perfect. If not, wait for a gray one. That sucks that you got (or they got) bad info on such a consequential option.
Thanks....agreed and that's likely how I will approach. I will try to go with an open mind and see what I think of the Phytonic. It does stand out in the sea of black, white, and grey cars which is something I like (and why I got the estoril blue on my F30). Generally, any time I see any g30 when they are clean and detailed out I think all the colors look great really. So there is a good chance I will see it and be sold. My only question then will be will I still love it in a year or more? Will I see skyscraper or bernina (unbelievably cut for 2023) or similar colors and always think...WTF how did they screw that up? My plan was to keep this car for a long time.

Completely agree with you that for this amount of money and custom ordering the car, a major benefit of that is, as long as you can be patient, you get the exact build you want. This will be the first brand new car I have ever owned. I've always been a 3 year old CPO advocate and had very good experience with that route. But given the current climate, pre-owned just doesn't make sense (overvalued) and this is also to be a 50th b-day present to myself. Currently my dealer has a skyscraper m550 in stock, so I may try and check it out this weekend to see the color in person before it sells. I'll keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 1
NGT25614.50
      08-12-2022, 11:10 AM   #7
JMP14
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1798479

Here are some phytonic pics for you.
Thanks....I have pulled a lot of pics and youtube videos of phytonic and do really like it. One of the pulls towards the bluestone/skyscraper was just having a more drastic change from my current F30. seeing it in person and then sleeping on it for a day or 2 is a good suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 11:21 AM   #8
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks....agreed and that's likely how I will approach. I will try to go with an open mind and see what I think of the Phytonic. It does stand out in the sea of black, white, and grey cars which is something I like (and why I got the estoril blue on my F30). Generally, any time I see any g30 when they are clean and detailed out I think all the colors look great really. So there is a good chance I will see it and be sold. My only question then will be will I still love it in a year or more? Will I see skyscraper or bernina (unbelievably cut for 2023) or similar colors and always think...WTF how did they screw that up? My plan was to keep this car for a long time.

Completely agree with you that for this amount of money and custom ordering the car, a major benefit of that is, as long as you can be patient, you get the exact build you want. This will be the first brand new car I have ever owned. I've always been a 3 year old CPO advocate and had very good experience with that route. But given the current climate, pre-owned just doesn't make sense (overvalued) and this is also to be a 50th b-day present to myself. Currently my dealer has a skyscraper m550 in stock, so I may try and check it out this weekend to see the color in person before it sells. I'll keep you guys posted.
Happy Birthday! Maybe you're just meant to have a 550…

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #9
JMP14
Private
Rep

Quote:
haha....officially it's at the end of Dec, but thanks . re the m550...believe me, I have said that to myself more than a few times! especially if that one in stock is unspoken for and has the 668m wheels. The rational/responsible side vs. the impulsive side will be arguing for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 11:31 AM   #10
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
haha....officially it's at the end of Dec, but thanks . re the m550...believe me, I have said that to myself more than a few times! especially if that one in stock is unspoken for and has the 668m wheels. The rational/responsible side vs. the impulsive side will be arguing for sure.
50th birthday trumps reason!

I am your former self. My last two vehicles have been 3 year old CPO (one Tahoe and now the 530). My next one or two will probably be, as well. Just this morning I was doing the math that I'll be 50+ when I have real freedom again. I'm 37 with a 5 year old and one on the way. All that to say, I already did the math for us and you should reward your 50 year old self with whatever the hell you want! Haha

Appreciate 1
JMP1496.50
      08-12-2022, 12:18 PM   #11
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
lol if recent history repeats itself, buy anything you want when you are a day younger, because it will be X times the price soon. The prices on Ferraris and Rolexes right now... not only did you own it for free, if you sell you would have also made some good money!

and there will be no v8 in the next M550i. It will become a M560e i6 w/ electric motor.

Last edited by BMW012; 08-12-2022 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #12
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
lol if recent history repeats itself, buy anything you want when you are a day younger, because it will be X times the price soon. The prices on Ferraris and Rolexes right now... not only did you own it for free, if you sell you would have also made some good money!

and there will be no v8 in the next M550i. It will become a M560e v6 w/ electric motor.
Probably I6... I don't think BMW have ever made a V6.
Appreciate 1
NGT25614.50
      08-12-2022, 01:32 PM   #13
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Probably I6... I don't think BMW have ever made a V6.
haha you are right! edit has been made
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 05:04 PM   #14
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
In defense of your CA, the original MY23 order guide, issued May 25th, did exclude Skyscraper Grey as an option for MSport. Seems things changed, or possibly the BMWUSA online configurator is wrong. This kind of thing happens too often with BMW.

Phytonic Blue is a nice color. If you're a fan of Blue, I suspect you'll see the car and be ready to sign the paperwork.

Skyscraper is available on other models. Maybe your dealer has one you can look at. I think it looks lighter in real life than it does in the online configurator. To me, it's a couple shades darker than silver. Check out the 2022 2 series Gran Coupe and 2023 3 series, 4 series, 8 series....

Last edited by claykin; 08-12-2022 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 06:12 PM   #15
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
In defense of your CA, the original MY23 order guide, issued May 25th, did exclude Skyscraper Grey as an option for MSport. Seems things changed, or possibly the BMWUSA online configurator is wrong. This kind of thing happens too often with BMW.

Phytonic Blue is a nice color. If you're a fan of Blue, I suspect you'll see the car and be ready to sign the paperwork.

Skyscraper is available on other models. Maybe your dealer has one you can look at. I think it looks lighter in real life than it does in the online configurator. To me, it's a couple shades darker than silver. Check out the 2022 2 series Gran Coupe and 2023 3 series, 4 series, 8 series....
How far is it from the Brooklyn Gray? That's another color I like but hard to tell online. Mine is dark graphite and the configurator is an awful awful representation of that color.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 08:22 PM   #16
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
How far is it from the Brooklyn Gray? That's another color I like but hard to tell online. Mine is dark graphite and the configurator is an awful awful representation of that color.
I find Brooklyn to be more of a muted Grey. Like a putty grey with shine. That's my view.

Skyscraper is in the silver family, just darker silver.
      08-12-2022, 08:27 PM   #17
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
I find Brooklyn to be more of a muted Grey. Like a putty grey with shine. That's my view.

Skyscraper is in the silver family, just darker silver.
Gotcha. Yeah I take Brooklyn to be the grayer version of Bernina Amber

Appreciate 1
claykin1587.50
      08-13-2022, 05:07 AM   #18
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
Brooklyn is like a flat pastel grey. Looks more 2d than 3d.

Waiting to see what an artic race blue 5 series will look like. No real pictures or videos surfaced yet.

Last edited by BMW012; 08-13-2022 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
NGT25614.50