BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Mild Hybrid Questions

12-13-2023, 07:50 AM   #1
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i G31 MSport

Mild Hybrid Questions

I read on some forums that the 520i MHT doesn't let you turning off the start/stop function, is that true? I know other mild hybrids will let you do that.

I always turn that off in all the cars that I rent went going abroad on holiday but they are usually low cost cars and they have issues because of this. Last time I had one it was summer and the AC was also not working while the engine was off and I was in a big city with bad traffic and that meant constant AC shutting off.

Anyway, looking for a G31 and in the UK it seems the only petrol engines you can find that are newer than 2020 are MHT (haven't looked for the big engine version) and I am wondering if there are any drawbacks to it other than the start stop thing (if that is even the case).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 03:19 AM   #2
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin1987 View Post
I read on some forums that the 520i MHT doesn't let you turning off the start/stop function, is that true? I know other mild hybrids will let you do that.

I always turn that off in all the cars that I rent went going abroad on holiday but they are usually low cost cars and they have issues because of this. Last time I had one it was summer and the AC was also not working while the engine was off and I was in a big city with bad traffic and that meant constant AC shutting off.

Anyway, looking for a G31 and in the UK it seems the only petrol engines you can find that are newer than 2020 are MHT (haven't looked for the big engine version) and I am wondering if there are any drawbacks to it other than the start stop thing (if that is even the case).

Thanks
In my 2020 540i that has MHT it is correct that you can't turn off the start stop with the button below the start button as it is no longer there. You can however turn it off but it's a bit of a faf.

Firstly if you are in comfort or adaptive the start stop will be active but if you put the gear lever in to sport it deactivates start stop as it is not active in any sport mode, so if coming to a junction and not wanting SS just knock the lever to the left.

If you go to sport individual mode and set eveything as standard, throttle, suspension, steering. You will in effect have comfort settings without start stop, but you have to select sport individual every time you start the car.

You kind of get used to it and I believe it's not something you can code out on Lci's. LCi's use an electric motor of sort for starting, not a conventional starter motor so the SS function is not as intrusive as the old system sound wise and is pretty much instant. I generally think it's fine and does give greater economy, it also has the ability to free wheel cruse when it feels like it which also helps and the restart on the move is quite seamless.

It will reduce the AC when stopped in traffic but then if needed you can just pop it into sport and it all come back.

Best way to see if you can get on with it is to have a test drive for an hour or so to check out all the options & see what you think, a 10 minute wizz around the block with a sales guy yapping won't do it

Other things to consider - are you likely to modify it, in terms of wanting to change exhaust / tune, if so there are more options for the pre LCi as the later cars have too many things to stop you doing this.

Last edited by Alscoob; 12-14-2023 at 03:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 08:14 AM   #3
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i G31 MSport

Thank you for your answer. It sounds like I would need to get used to the S/S function.
I don't plan to modify it in any way as this will be a family car. I don't particularly like estate cars but I have a young child and another coming next year and my 3 series sedan is already at maximum capacity in term of boot space. Also current car is a 3.0L petrol engine and it was quite literally the worst car in terms of reliability I've ever owned so trying to go a more conservative way now, hence the 520i. My sporty drive days are over for some time at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 10:42 AM   #4
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
You can still have fun in an estate car
Tbf the G series b58 is much more reliable than the N series engines in the e9x’s. I had my N54 35i for over eleven years & had all the N54 issues during my ownership, apart from injectors they were still original when I sold it @ 125,000 miles. Don’t let the old e9x issues put you of getting a 540i if fuel cost isn’t an issue for you.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      12-16-2023, 04:06 AM   #5
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Thank you for your answer. It sounds like I would need to get used to the S/S function.
I don't plan to modify it in any way as this will be a family car. I don't particularly like estate cars but I have a young child and another coming next year and my 3 series sedan is already at maximum capacity in term of boot space. Also current car is a 3.0L petrol engine and it was quite literally the worst car in terms of reliability I've ever owned so trying to go a more conservative way now, hence the 520i. My sporty drive days are over for some time at least.
As Chappers 71 said above the B58 is brilliant and personally the estate is the better looking car, with masses of space for family.

I had the B58 in my previous F31, did 72K miles in it had absolutely zero issues with it. The current 540i is more economical then the F31 was, odd as it's bigger. Have a good test drive in both the 520 & 540 to compare.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2023, 04:38 PM   #6
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Reliability? The B58 may be one of the most reliable engines in BMW history. Partially developed with Toyota and also used in the Supra.

If you want a reliable R6, the B58 is the engine for you.

I have no comment on the mild hybrid, as I would not be caught dead in one.
Appreciate 0