BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding G31 Option 676 Hifi Sound Center Channel

12-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
pikapt
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520

G31 Option 676 Hifi Sound Center Channel

Hello everyone,

Just checking if someone got the option 676 in a G30 / G31 that can confirm that center tweeter / midrange exists?

I've checked in my case and I can't hear nothing from the center of the dashboard. I do have tweeters in the sail panel, midranges in the front doors and woofers under the seats. I also have speakers in the back of car and it sound like there are some tweeters also there (treble is there...)

I got zero information from the center of the dash..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
pikapt
Rep

I guess 676 is standard in US so if there is anyone here from US that have standard audio equipment can you please give feedback as well?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:02 AM   #3
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapt View Post
Hello everyone,

Just checking if someone got the option 676 in a G30 / G31 that can confirm that center tweeter / midrange exists?

I've checked in my case and I can't hear nothing from the center of the dashboard. I do have tweeters in the sail panel, midranges in the front doors and woofers under the seats. I also have speakers in the back of car and it sound like there are some tweeters also there (treble is there...)

I got zero information from the center of the dash..
Yes, there is a tweeter and midrange in the centre of the dash.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
pikapt
Rep

Thanks a lot.

I can't hear my center channel working.. Can you hear yours? with all type of media?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 04:51 AM   #5
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot.

I can't hear my center channel working.. Can you hear yours? with all type of media?
Yes, I could hear it when I put my ear close to it. I ended up disconnecting the centre speaker and putting in some Focal components in the front. I now have the HK system and again I disconnected the centre speaker and replaced the front door speakers with the Eton B100 W speakers.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 04:31 AM   #6
pikapt
Rep

Hi Chuckyarla , thanks for your reply.

I can't get my head to the center of my dash the closest I can get is near the screen and from there I can't hear anything.

Anyway why did you disconnect the center speaker? it should help to center your soundstage without compromising the sound quality.

I'm trying to keep this simple and just enjoy the original speakers, I honestly think that they don't sound that bad.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #7
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Hi Chuckyarla , thanks for your reply.

I can't get my head to the center of my dash the closest I can get is near the screen and from there I can't hear anything.

Anyway why did you disconnect the center speaker? it should help to center your soundstage without compromising the sound quality.

I'm trying to keep this simple and just enjoy the original speakers, I honestly think that they don't sound that bad.

Cheers
The centre speaker takes a signal from both the left and right channels. It is not a separate channel. Many people think that it reduces the feeling of stereo separation and muddies the sound.
In order to hear if yours is connected or not you should open your two front doors fully and then put your ear as close as you can to the centre speaker.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
pikapt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
The centre speaker takes a signal from both the left and right channels. It is not a separate channel. Many people think that it reduces the feeling of stereo separation and muddies the sound.
In order to hear if yours is connected or not you should open your two front doors fully and then put your ear as close as you can to the center speaker.
good idea, will try later! thanks!

Regarding the stereo perception, I guess it is related with how it is being implemented. If it's a simple mono channel, then I suppose that is the reason why the gain is so low. Ideally, it would be only what common between L and R and not all the information from L and R.

I'll keep you posted! Cheers
Appreciate 0