BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Toyota Supra

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #969
avantegardestyle
Captain
235
Rep
856
Posts

Drives: E90 ///M3 SG
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: East Side

iTrader: (0)

Ive tried my best to like this car but i cannot
this is an absolute screw up by Toyota and BMW.

Toyota should have kept key elements of the old Supra.
this car will not age well

Also deal breaker for me that they made this a two seater. was uncomfortable but 4 seat in original Supra was more desirable.

#THUMBSDOWN!
Appreciate 4
duder13760.50
NickyC7058.00

      08-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #970
supra93
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1322
Rep
1,613
Posts

Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)



Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #971
See5
BMW Fan
See5's Avatar
United_States
348
Rep
663
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
Ive tried my best to like this car but i cannot
this is an absolute screw up by Toyota and BMW.

Toyota should have kept key elements of the old Supra.
this car will not age well

Also deal breaker for me that they made this a two seater. was uncomfortable but 4 seat in original Supra was more desirable.

#THUMBSDOWN!
You're asking for an RCF.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #972
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
761
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I wonder how many Supra fans were really into the last Z4 coupe? I feel like they're all running in circles trying to justify this thing. The way I look at it, it's a Z4 coupe with weird styling and without a manual transmission, which just isn't all that appealing to me.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #973
supra93
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1322
Rep
1,613
Posts

Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
I wonder how many Supra fans were really into the last Z4 coupe? I feel like they're all running in circles trying to justify this thing. The way I look at it, it's a Z4 coupe with weird styling and without a manual transmission, which just isn't all that appealing to me.
Idk where you have been, but places like Supraforums is shitting all over this thing.
Appreciate 1
duder13760.50

      08-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #974
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
160
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
I wonder how many Supra fans were really into the last Z4 coupe?
Because there is zero correlation between the E89 and the MKV in any way, shape, or form.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #975
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
761
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
Because there is zero correlation between the E89 and the MKV in any way, shape, or form.
Iím talking about the E86. I wonder how Supra fans would have felt if the Mark V came out 15 years ago as the coupe form of the E85?

The new Supra is practically badge engineering.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:05 AM   #976
rainfall
First Lieutenant
136
Rep
385
Posts

Drives: A
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: West coast

iTrader: (0)

IDK what's so exciting about going on a drag strip with an auto transmission
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #977
2 SLOW
Private First Class
United_States
41
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
IDK what's so exciting about going on a drag strip with an auto transmission
Winning
Appreciate 1
heavyD^21430.50

      08-08-2019, 12:39 AM   #978
hellrotm
Major General
3403
Rep
6,604
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
You're asking for an RCF.
That thing is a pig. I remember the first comparison by MT when it debuted, RCF weighed in at 4,040lbs. RS5 was 13lbs lighter with a heavy awd system.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:49 AM   #979
hellrotm
Major General
3403
Rep
6,604
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
And they have already stated in multiple interviews, had they developed their own engine and platform, the car would have been north of $100k.

Sure, I realize there are quite a few here that can afford a $100k, or multiple used expensive cars, but Toyota is in the business of making money.

$50-55k is a lot more attainable on an upper-middle class salary than $100k+
Excuses...excuses. They could have developed an engine and shared it with other platforms(like the old 1JZ and 2JZ). Spread the r&d cost. No one said it had to be Supra only.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 06:26 AM   #980
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
160
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Iím talking about the E86. I wonder how Supra fans would have felt if the Mark V came out 15 years ago as the coupe form of the E85?

The new Supra is practically badge engineering.
Oh my bad.
Because there is zero correlation between the E86 and the MKV in any way, shape, or form.

The Supra and Z4 donít even drive or look remotely the same, the only reason it comes to mind it because they share platforms.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 07:49 AM   #981
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
346
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Excuses...excuses. They could have developed an engine and shared it with other platforms(like the old 1JZ and 2JZ). Spread the r&d cost. No one said it had to be Supra only.
What platform, exactly would they share it with?

Going to take all their 4 door cars and CUVs, build new platforms, convert them to RWD? Going to get rid of the V8 in the Tundra and LandCruiser and put a turbo I6?

Oh, maybe develop a FWD transmission and build a hopped a minivan?

You guys are great for a laugh.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1729.00

      08-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #982
heavyD^2
Major
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
1431
Rep
1,489
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Excuses...excuses. They could have developed an engine and shared it with other platforms(like the old 1JZ and 2JZ). Spread the r&d cost. No one said it had to be Supra only.
What platforms does Toyota have that could use a longitudinal mount inline 6 turbo? I suppose they could use it in the Lexus lineup but I would guess they would have already developed an inline 6 for those cars if that was the direction they wanted to go in. I don't think people understand how risk averse Toyota is as they simply aren't going to put resources into developing a low volume seller like the Supra and truth be told they aren't very good at making cars like this anymore as you only need to look at the 4000 lb beast that is the RC F to see that they just aren't the same company that made the A80 Supra.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #983
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
761
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
Oh my bad.
Because there is zero correlation between the E86 and the MKV in any way, shape, or form.

The Supra and Z4 donít even drive or look remotely the same, the only reason it comes to mind it because they share platforms.
Hardly. The Supra is simply a Z4 with a different shell and tuning.

To quote Autoblog, who tested them together, ďTheir virtual carbon-copy mechanicals are some blessing, including a chassis that Toyota says is more rigid than the Lexus LFA supercar, and the BMW-designed front MacPherson strut and rear-multi link suspension hardware. Team Supra was left to work its individual magic largely on tuning the electrically assisted steering, adaptive damping, transmission and electronic differential.Ē
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #984
See5
BMW Fan
See5's Avatar
United_States
348
Rep
663
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
What platform, exactly would they share it with?

Going to take all their 4 door cars and CUVs, build new platforms, convert them to RWD? Going to get rid of the V8 in the Tundra and LandCruiser and put a turbo I6?

Oh, maybe develop a FWD transmission and build a hopped a minivan?

You guys are great for a laugh.
They really are.

You really have to suspend reality at this point to think Toyota would spend hundreds of millions to develop all-new drivetrains for a couple pf niche products.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #985
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
761
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
They really are.

You really have to suspend reality at this point to think Toyota would spend hundreds of millions to develop all-new drivetrains for a couple pf niche products.
Yeah, but I donít see why they couldnít have used something like the more powerful twin-turbo V6 thatís in the IS F. I think most Supra fans would be ok with a V6 in an actual Toyota vs. an in-line 6 in a re-skinned BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #986
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
160
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Hardly. The Supra is simply a Z4 with a different shell and tuning.

To quote Autoblog, who tested them together, ďTheir virtual carbon-copy mechanicals are some blessing, including a chassis that Toyota says is more rigid than the Lexus LFA supercar, and the BMW-designed front MacPherson strut and rear-multi link suspension hardware. Team Supra was left to work its individual magic largely on tuning the electrically assisted steering, adaptive damping, transmission and electronic differential.Ē
I understand the physical differences, I am saying you can give two bakers the same ingredients and they can bake vastly different cookies
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #987
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
160
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Yeah, but I donít see why they couldnít have used something like the more powerful twin-turbo V6 thatís in the IS F. I think most Supra fans would be ok with a V6 in an actual Toyota vs. an in-line 6 in a re-skinned BMW.
There hasn't been an IS-F in years. The LS500 has the V35a TTv6.

Because of the incredibly high expectations, they were going to complain about anything and everything about the car so they were forced to guess the lesser of two evils on literally every decision. The problem is that the public hears their decisions years after they were made when it is too late to go back on it. They asked Supra owners what they wanted and they said an inline 6 was the most important, so they gave them just that. Could there have been better decisions made? Absolutely, hindsight is 20/20. But that doesn't mean the decisions made were bad decisions by any means.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #988
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
761
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
There hasn't been an IS-F in years. The LS500 has the V35a TTv6.

Because of the incredibly high expectations, they were going to complain about anything and everything about the car so they were forced to guess the lesser of two evils on literally every decision. The problem is that the public hears their decisions years after they were made when it is too late to go back on it. They asked Supra owners what they wanted and they said an inline 6 was the most important, so they gave them just that. Could there have been better decisions made? Absolutely, hindsight is 20/20. But that doesn't mean the decisions made were bad decisions by any means.
Yeah, sorry, I forgot the upcoming IS F was still just a rumor, but weíre talking about the same engine.

I know about their polling, but Iím not sure Supra owners understood that choosing an inline 6 in that poll meant that the car would essentially be a BMW Z4.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #989
M3_WC
Brigadier General
906
Rep
3,529
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
You guys are great for a laugh.
Nah, the Zupra provides enough laughs for years to come.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #990
M3_WC
Brigadier General
906
Rep
3,529
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

These things will be sitting on lots next year with discounts. Provide a manual transmission and maybe gain back a little respect.
Appreciate 1
NickyC7058.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST