BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board For Beach/Ocean Lovers

07-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #23
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Asks the guy from a state with no real beaches. I honestly feel bad for those that live far away from the ocean. Lake shorelines may technically be considered beaches but it's just not the same as the ocean. Just saying.
Meh. I've been all up and down the eastern shores of this country and even spent a few months in SoCal.

When you can't see land on the other side of the lake, the impression is very much the same between ocean and lake, minus the surf activity.

A picture from the shore in Grand Haven or Saugatuck in MI could just as easily be a pic from the outer banks in NC.

YMMV
Appreciate 5
cmyx6go2306.50
2000cs1026.00
NEfan508445.50
City Pig6102.00
Germanauto3512.50

07-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #24
cmyx6go
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6 ///M

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Meh. I've been all up and down the eastern shores of this country and even spent a few months in SoCal.

When you can't see land on the other side of the lake, the impression is very much the same between ocean and lake, minus the surf activity.

A picture from the shore in Grand Haven or Saugatuck in MI could just as easily be a pic from the outer banks in NC.

YMMV
I know the big lakes can seem ocean like, even to the extent of rough water at times. Maybe it's the salt in the air Not dissing the lakes, just prefer the ocean.

07-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #25
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
beach (noun)
\ ˈbēch

Definition of beach (Entry 1 of 2)

1 : shore pebbles : shingle

2a : a shore of a body of water covered by sand, gravel, or larger rock fragments

b : a seashore area

How is the shoreline of a lake not a beach, exactly?

https://www.google.com/search?biw=16...mg.Dk_emDvP9w0
i'm not the only who thinks that. people here in OH who live here their whole lives say the same thing...even Michigan. in their minds a beach is on the coast with white sands, big waves and salty water. not a mudhole! their exact words! my coworkers have leave OH on their vacations for real beaches, the salt water, the smell of salt in the air...not a lake. I couldn't make this up!
~F90Conversion~CFLowerSplitters~21"3Piece AlphaForgedWheels~BMSgoldTitaniumLugz~ 3dCFRearSpoiler~3dCFSideSkirtExtensions~DTMCFDiffu ser~CFRearSplitters~CFEmblems~LedermanzWheel~Shado wlineKit~CFDoubleSlatGrills~WstyleCFRoofSpoiler~M4 CFMirrorCovers~MeisterschaftEVC90mmQuadExhaust~CFT ipCovers~VRSFdp~KWV1Coilovers~MPedals~G2GoldCalipe rs~35%TinT~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #26
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:

YMMV
You taught me something new today. I had to freakin google YMMV Thank you.

Reminds me of the time my SO got a text from his son and asked me what IDK meant, I told him I don't know, he said me neither that's why I'm asking. That went on for a few. Who's on first?

Carry on.

07-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #27
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i'm not the only who thinks that. people here in OH who live here their whole lives say the same thing...even Michigan. in their minds a beach is on the coast with white sands, big waves and salty water. not a mudhole! their exact words! my coworkers have leave OH on their vacations for real beaches, the salt water, the smell of salt in the air...not a lake. I couldn't make this up!
Oh, sure, I'm not doubting the opinion exists - or even arguing that there's not some validity.

However, the sentiment is, without doubt, a little bit "No True Scotsman"-ish.

Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #28
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
You should be ashamed of yourself. You live a few miles from the beach and have only been there once this year.... This is my new favorite smilie
Here is my sand-card.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #29
Alpine300zhp
Major
Rep
Drives: 19 X6M

Quote:
I also love the beach, even in the winter. I find nothing more soothing than watching and hearing the waves crash, smelling the salt in the air. I has a humbling effect. The rougher the seas, the more therapeutic.

I prefer ocean beaches. I've been to Captiva and Sanibel many times. It's just not the same on the gulf, too calm I guess. Very relaxing from a vacation standpoint though.

Thanks for sharing
Agreed. Now you know why I live in Florida. I'm actually shopping for a place on the ocean as we speak. It's been a dream of mine since my teenage years spent at the Jersey Shore (Avalon, Sea Isle and Cape May).
cmyx6go2306.50
City Pig6102.00

07-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #30
Alpine300zhp
Major
Rep

Quote:
I also love the beach, even in the winter. I find nothing more soothing than watching and hearing the waves crash, smelling the salt in the air. I has a humbling effect. The rougher the seas, the more therapeutic.

I prefer ocean beaches. I've been to Captiva and Sanibel many times. It's just not the same on the gulf, too calm I guess. Very relaxing from a vacation standpoint though.

Thanks for sharing
Agreed. Now you know why I live in Florida. I'm actually shopping for a place on the ocean as we speak. It's been a dream of mine since my teenage years spent at the Jersey Shore (Avalon, Sea Isle and Cape May).
cmyx6go2306.50

07-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #31
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
I know when MTV went to New Jersey to the Jersey Shore to this day they still talk about it! We went there one summer and all around the area where ever the cast was at the stores, clubs, restaurants would market that. some people claim Jersey Shore ruined the place
Funny you say that. I was in New Jersey for Formula Drift NJ a month or so ago.

Wife and I went to a random mini-beach town to eat dinner on the water. Waiter was hitting on a trio of 20-somethings girls telling him he knew Pauly-D.
      07-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #32
upstatedoc
pew pew
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Here is my sand-card.
get to the beach and earn it back
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go2306.50
City Pig6102.00

07-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #33
cmyx6go
Major
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Quote:
Alpine300zhp Are you whoring for extra appreciates?
      07-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #34
Alpine300zhp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Alpine300zhp Are you whoring for extra appreciates?
lol. No, my app said my post did not go through and saved it as a draft so I submitted it again only to find it posted twice. :
      07-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #35
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Rep

Quote:
Do you live on land that you have to evac many times a year for hurricanes? or are you safe enough away you can stay?
      07-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #36
NEfan508
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Maine coast is nicknamed northern Massachusetts because people like me, we drive over an hour

Hard to beat eating @ Ocean front seafood restaurants seeing those cold blue/gray waves crash 30 yards away

I work for my self, so aggravating weekday afternoons we just drive up to decompress with some ocean air and a iced coffee, it's like our drug, 50 degrees with overcast sky no matter

I have a cheap condo in Hollywood FL near Ft Lauderdale (warm waters) but to us those beaches feel so developed, we like the more natural beaches if that makes sense?
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
2000cs1026.00
N54Yankee1633.50

07-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #37
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Maine coast is nicknamed northern Massachusetts because people like me, we drive over an hour

Hard to beat eating @ Ocean front seafood restaurants seeing those cold blue/gray waves crash 30 yards away

I work for my self, so aggravating weekday afternoons we just drive up to decompress with some ocean air and a iced coffee, it's like our drug, 50 degrees with overcast sky no matter

I have a cheap condo in Hollywood FL near Ft Lauderdale (warm waters) but to us those beaches feel so developed, we like the more natural beaches if that makes sense?
Complete sense.

Places like Myrtle Beach, Ocean City (MD), Virginia Beach, parts of Outer Banks. They are a tourist beach spot.

I want the "enthusiast beach spots".
      07-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #38
NEfan508
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Quote:

Complete sense.

Places like Myrtle Beach, Ocean City (MD), Virginia Beach, parts of Outer Banks. They are a tourist beach spot.

I want the "enthusiast beach spots".
Beach towns in Maine do not allow franchises (owner occupied only) nice to see in a world with Starbucks, Walmart's and Ruby Tuesday's every intersection

yes the water is cold, yes the women are ugly and it's a bitch to drive so far but @ 36 I like the peace of these beaches more than the tourist spots

Literally restaurant owners pull up in their trucks with trays of fresh fish on ice, putting on what's best on the menu

My parents took me here as a boy, I hated it, where's the bikini girls?!?!? Only shorts and hoodies on dikes with mustaches lol hairy armpits (thanks Montreal ladies driving down) but in my 30's I came full circle, I'm taking my kids here for the peace
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #39
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Beach towns in Maine do not allow franchises (owner occupied only) nice to see in a world with Starbucks, Walmart's and Ruby Tuesday's every intersection

yes the water is cold, yes the women are ugly and it's a bitch to drive so far but @ 36 I like the peace of these beaches more than the tourist spots

Literally restaurant owners pull up in their trucks with trays of fresh fish on ice, putting on what's best on the menu

My parents took me here as a boy, I hated it, where's the bikini girls?!?!? Only shorts and hoodies on dikes with mustaches lol hairy armpits (thanks Montreal ladies driving down) but in my 30's I came full circle, I'm taking my kids here for the peace
When I lived in Connecticut I really enjoyed going to those Northern New England beach towns. Itís a totally different vibe and experience. I miss it at times. But we have plenty of untouched beach here on the Gulf Coast of Florida. You can get that secluded isolated feel if you want.

The wifeys sister lives in Hollywood, Iím familiar. Those beaches just arenít the same on the East coast of Florida. To much development. Enjoyable in their own way.

I wonít lie, the scenery of beautiful chicks in skimpy Bikinis is a plus! Pretty much anywhere in Florida.
Appreciate 2
NEfan508445.50

07-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #40
Alpine300zhp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you live on land that you have to evac many times a year for hurricanes? or are you safe enough away you can stay?
Right now, I am inland in a gated golf club community and do not have to evacuate when a storm approaches. However, the area that I am looking at would put me within a few hundred feet of the beach and I would have direct oceanfront view. That location would be mandatory evacuation anytime a hurricane approached. I'm aware of that and am willing to take on that inconvenience if I find the right place for the right price. So far that has not happened, but I'm actively looking.
      07-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #41
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Rep

Quote:
Right now, I am inland in a gated golf club community and do not have to evacuate when a storm approaches. However, the area that I am looking at would put me within a few hundred feet of the beach and I would have direct oceanfront view. That location would be mandatory evacuation anytime a hurricane approached. I'm aware of that and am willing to take on that inconvenience if I find the right place for the right price. So far that has not happened, but I'm actively looking.
I have to ask, is it worth it?

People have like ocean front mansions that get destroyed every year and they rebuild.

It's a beautiful human sentiment and all. "We will rebuild"

The flood/hurricane insurance has to be crazy?
      07-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #42
Alpine300zhp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have to ask, is it worth it?

People have like ocean front mansions that get destroyed every year and they rebuild.

It's a beautiful human sentiment and all. "We will rebuild"

The flood/hurricane insurance has to be crazy?
Nothing is guaranteed, but the area I am looking at has never sustained a direct hit from a storm. Is it worth the risk? Only if I find the right place for the right price and yes, insurance is nuts. You only live once and an oceanfront place has been on my bucket list for a long time. I'm fortunate enough that many of the things on my bucket list have been fulfilled, but the oceanfront home still remains.....
      07-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #43
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

So my wife and I love the ocean.....we often holiday on or very near the beach, usually Florida or the Caribbean. Having said that there are some great beaches on the great lakes.....Wasaga Beach, Georgian Bay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      07-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #44
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
coming from San Diego I love the beaches! Florida has some nice beaches including the Keys. funny part is being here in OH the people here like to call the lakes beaches I don't know how to respond to that
Here in Iowa they call pond beach