BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions M550i xDrive Touring Render.

01-13-2017, 05:43 AM   #67
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Sorry about that. I think US forum members should start a thread: Bring the G31 Estate back in the US! and then after you get enough members replies, let Scott26 and BMW's management know ;-)
We've been complaining about the lack of the F11, G31 and soon to come G21 for quite sometime already. We always get the same answers X3 and X5 sell better bla bla. Same goes for the slow selling GT they seem to sell enough to make a case by themself but I always see less GT than Touring on the road. So that is why I ask Scott what wrong with the touring.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #68
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Another mega-awesome touring that will never be sold in the US.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #69
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

I would absolutely buy this!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #70
nanceman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335is 6MT, 15 GTI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanceman View Post

Though the ultimate tease to all of us in the states.....
Sorry about that. I think US forum members should start a thread: Bring the G31 Estate back in the US! and then after you get enough members replies, let Scott26 and BMW's management know ;-)
I'm on my way to Munich right now actually, sadly nowhere close to high enough to talk to anyone that matters about this though (one day!).

Politics aside, if Trump wants to get involved with automotive, let him focus abolishing the type specific homologation for wagons vs sedans THEN I may be placated
      01-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #71
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
We've been complaining about the lack of the F11, G31 and soon to come G21 for quite sometime already. We always get the same answers X3 and X5 sell better bla bla. Same goes for the slow selling GT they seem to sell enough to make a case by themself but I always see less GT than Touring on the road. So that is why I ask Scott what wrong with the touring.
What went wrong with the Touring?
No one is buying them but it is not just BMW. Other manufacturers that have Wagons are experiencing them screwed to the showroom floor As the customer departs with the SUV.
The North American market is more SUV centric therefore it makes more sense to invest in improving current and add more SUV models to a market that cannot do without them. That is why in the space of over twelve months there will be new X3 and a new X5 with a significant advantage a 5er Touring would not have sales wise.
Currently the BMW X1 and BMW X3 separately outsell the Touring. The removal of the G21 allows space for the next X3 and of course the Sportier BMW X2 to pick up where the 3er Touring departs.

As for the Gran Turismo? Its a low volume car with an expected 10% share of total 5er units. It took around 22% but in the space of a year in North America it eclipsed three years of E61 Touring models.

The other additional Gran Turismo model even outsells the F31 Touring in North America. A new GT launches later this year and for those that love the original as there is a forum dedicated to the F07 here who actually enjoy the concept for what it is. Will certainly find the new GT very appealing indeed.

The BMW X2.
Attached Images

01-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #72
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
No one is buying them but it is not just BMW. Other manufacturers that have Wagons are experiencing them screwed to the showroom floor As the customer departs with the SUV.
The North American market is more SUV centric therefore it makes more sense to invest in improving current and add more SUV models to a market that cannot do without them. That is why in the space of over twelve months there will be new X3 and a new X5 with a significant advantage a 5er Touring would not have sales wise.
Currently the BMW X1 and BMW X3 separately outsell the Touring. The removal of the G21 allows space for the next X3 and of course the Sportier BMW X2 to pick up where the 3er Touring departs.

As for the Gran Turismo? Its a low volume car with an expected 10% share of total 5er units. It took around 22% but in the space of a year in North America it eclipsed three years of E61 Touring models.

The other additional Gran Turismo model even outsells the F31 Touring in North America. A new GT launches later this year and for those that love the original as there is a forum dedicated to the F07 here who actually enjoy the concept for what it is. Will certainly find the new GT very appealing indeed.

The BMW X2.
Thanks for taking the time to answer me. I don't think it will work with me time for Plan B
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #73
mikey0120
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: F10 535Xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
Bring it to the USA!
+1
Retired: 2001 E46 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #74
Mespinosa92
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

I'm surprised that people actually want this car
      01-19-2017, 02:03 AM   #75
qdtjant
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW Alpina D5S 2018

Will there be a M550i Touring ? According to my dealer, who was on an introduction of the new 5-series in Barcelona last week the touring is NOT to be launched as M550i but M550d for the non US markets. SCOTT26 tell us ? Or do I have to stick with the M650i ?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:57 AM   #76
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdtjant View Post
Will there be a M550i Touring ? According to my dealer, who was on an introduction of the new 5-series in Barcelona last week the touring is NOT to be launched as M550i but M550d for the non US markets. SCOTT26 tell us ? Or do I have to stick with the M650i ?
Shame but at least you're getting one of them. Brexit has cost us dearly if the second largest German Car market in the world isn't even getting one of the M performance 5ers (yet again I might add!) :
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 04:08 AM   #77
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Shame but at least you're getting one of them. Brexit has cost us dearly if the second largest German Car market in the world isn't even getting one of the M performance 5ers (yet again I might add!) :
All RHD markets have lost out on M550i due to low sales of previous 550i.
Most places they sold more M5 than 550i.

UK buys too many Diesels
      01-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #78
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Quote:
All RHD markets have lost out on M550i due to low sales of previous 550i.
Most places they sold more M5 than 550i.

UK buys too many Diesels
That's exactly what I said in previous post, 550i is not a common site. Currently I see few 340i on the road, far more M3s and M4s. Yet I've seen plenty of M135i and M235i, X5 and X6 M50d. A fair few M5 too.

I know the MP models are only slightly tweaked by M, but some nice wheels, different body bits a slight HP bump and separate M Performance moniker then sales seem to blossom - I may be using confirmation bias I admit but M performance appears to be a roaring success. Audi also does well with all its S models.

Now not that I have a lot to bet but I reckon the M550i would sell a hell of a lot better than the older 550i simply because of its repositioning.

And yes too many diesels... for now anyway. Does leave me the question why we're not getting the M550d
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #79
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Now not that I have a lot to bet but I reckon the M550i would sell a hell of a lot better than the older 550i simply because of its repositioning.

And yes too many diesels... for now anyway. Does leave me the question why we're not getting the M550d
I was told the decision was left up to the RHD market executives and they voted against it.
Makes me wonder if the cost difference to the M5 wont be so big.
I was told this long before the M550i was officially revealed.
They have also only made LHD test vehicles.

As for the M550d, all I can think is the turbo layout or something may prevent them making it RHD (Some physical problem)
We also have a lot of X5 M50d her, so there is a market for the big Diesel
      01-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #80
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Quote:

I was told the decision was left up to the RHD market executives and they voted against it.
Makes me wonder if the cost difference to the M5 wont be so big.
I was told this long before the M550i was officially revealed.
They have also only made LHD test vehicles.

As for the M550d, all I can think is the turbo layout or something may prevent them making it RHD (Some physical problem)
We also have a lot of X5 M50d her, so there is a market for the big Diesel
Well let's see what the next 12 months brings... never say never we may see the big diesel yet. It was stated in magazines that BMW had said it would come to the UK this generation when they said the F10 version was only LHD because of the layout and xdrive
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #81
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdtjant View Post
Your dealer is correct. G31 M550dx, no G31 M550i (or ix).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #82
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Politics aside, if Trump wants to get involved with automotive, let him focus abolishing the type specific homologation for wagons vs sedans THEN I may be placated
Before Sanders' challenge made her change the position, Hillary was going to support T-TIP that among other things included the unification of US and EU vehicle standards, which would eventually allow a single model with the same seats-airbags-headlights-bumpers to be sold on both sides of the Atlantic. Trump is of course against any agreement of this kind.

Wagons and sedans _must_ be tested separately, their bodies are too different for any reasonable comparison. Though we're in the post-reason age now, so yeah, anything could happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #83
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

The BMW X2.
Is there a way to split the difference like Volvo did? I haven't looked at their numbers, but they have opted to support their wagon as a social order car. Is it follow-up support?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 12:42 AM   #84
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
I keep reading the wagons are "screwed to the showroom floor" and "no one buys them" yet I see Mercedes Benz selling super bad ass wagons from the "regular" E350 4MATIC to the sublimely ridiculous E63 AMG S wagon! No one can buy what you do not offer! It's total BS that "no one" will buy a high end BMW wagon. Offer an M5 Touring and see what happens!

Look at this Benz! It's f#cking awesome! It's well north of $100K and they will have NO problems selling them. Not only that, but the Benz wagons hold their value better than their sedan counterparts, making them a better value in the long run.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #85
nanceman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335is 6MT, 15 GTI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Quote:
Before Sanders' challenge made her change the position, Hillary was going to support T-TIP that among other things included the unification of US and EU vehicle standards, which would eventually allow a single model with the same seats-airbags-headlights-bumpers to be sold on both sides of the Atlantic. Trump is of course against any agreement of this kind.

Wagons and sedans _must_ be tested separately, their bodies are too different for any reasonable comparison. Though we're in the post-reason age now, so yeah, anything could happen.
For all applicable front and side FMVSS testing I really don't see where they are "so different" but I'm just on the occupant safety side of automotive.

Unification of CE/ECE and FMVSS would be a god send, then china goes and has CCC to be different then Taiwan has unique certification now... Like all things, regulations can be a good thing but god is having multiple separate standards idiotic, but I guess it's job security.