BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Performance cars without a markup?

03-20-2022, 08:14 PM   #23
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Again i don't get it, why do you need a dealer close by? Just go to a good indy.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 08:32 PM   #24
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
https://automatchconsulting.com/

They were able to find me a kia soul for msrp recently. He also contributes to jalopnik-so you know hes legit.
Tom McParland seems like a good guy. The $500 fee will should pay for itself. Plus avoiding time and hassle.

There's also Costco's auto program.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 04:20 PM   #25
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Can confirm that Alfa Quads are generally going for MSRP right now. That said, the same cars were going for 20% off before the shortage, so it's all in the eye of the beholder.
      03-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #26
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Can confirm that Alfa Quads are generally going for MSRP right now. That said, the same cars were going for 20% off before the shortage, so it's all in the eye of the beholder.
You used to be able to get a Giulia quad for $20k off sticker brand new. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 09:29 PM   #27
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Again i don't get it, why do you need a dealer close by? Just go to a good indy.
Warranty repairs? Prepaid "free" maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 10:34 PM   #28
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Warranty repairs? Prepaid "free" maintenance?
Well that would be a service center, not really a “dealer”…
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 03:59 PM   #29
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Looks like Quadrifoglios in my region are going for over $100K.
Even Boxsters are running $85K+.
Ordering an M3 at MSRP sounds more appealing, but gotta wait 6+ months for the build.
Who knows what markups on the G87 M2 will be like.

Looks like I'll be in the same predicament as OP next year. May as well just buy out what we have and hang onto them at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 07:40 PM   #30
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Well that would be a service center, not really a “dealer”…
You don't get manufacturer's warranty service without a franchised dealership. Or did I misconstrue whatever point you were making?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 07:37 AM   #31
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Only problem ordering a M3 at MRSP is you have to live with driving that fucking ugly face.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
Germanauto9702.50
      03-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #32
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
As mentioned, pre-paid service, warranty work, and the horrific reliability.

That's why pre-pandemic they were selling for so far under MSRP. If I'm dropping that kind of money on a car, I don't want to deal with it being in the dealer service department every over other month.

The R&T article killed that.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 12:47 AM   #33
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Only problem ordering a M3 at MRSP is you have to live with driving that fucking ugly face.
It's a good life.
Attached Images

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
wtwo317971.00
Dino GT35134.50
AlexFL7837.00
      03-26-2022, 03:00 AM   #34
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfisti View Post
never ceases to amaze me how conservative north americans are, go get the alfa, goes like stink, looks like sex, sells below mrsp. Wtf else you need?
people are sheep, they want to feel validated in their purchase by friends/neighbors and stay within their comfort zone. So everybody hops on over to a bmw audi lexus etc showroom mindlessly without any thought. Brand loyalty and peer pressure are a real thing.

And of course, alfa not running a single marketing campaign for like 5 years now is also a factor.
10000% 👏🏼👍
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9702.50
      03-26-2022, 06:54 AM   #35
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Quote:
As mentioned, pre-paid service, warranty work, and the horrific reliability.

That's why pre-pandemic they were selling for so far under MSRP. If I'm dropping that kind of money on a car, I don't want to deal with it being in the dealer service department every over other month.

The R&T article killed that.
Actually, customer satisfaction is probably the best indicator. Owners are asked, "Considering all factors (price, performance, reliability, comfort, enjoyment, etc.), would you get this car if you had to do it all over again?"

Here is how specific models in the small luxury class stand based on owners saying they would 'definitely' buy the same car again. Like Germanauto said, people are sheep and won't go beyond what others think of what they buy. In the end, all cars are generally reliable today, and the Alfa isn't so unreliable that owners regret buying it. Or the reliability of the Q50 isn't enough to make people not regret buying it.

The Infiniti Q50 is the most reliable and least liked car in the segment. LOL. The Alfa is the least reliable and 2nd most liked. Easy to see why the Tesla Model 3 is doing so well…reliability above 3 series, and most liked….

The two charts compared against each other is very interesting indeed!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
stein_325i25083.00
Germanauto9702.50
Biginboca3763.50
jmack548.50
      03-26-2022, 08:59 AM   #36
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Never ceases to amaze me how conservative north americans are, go get the Alfa, goes like stink, looks like sex, sells below MRSP. wtf else you need?
People are sheep, they want to feel validated in their purchase by friends/neighbors and stay within their comfort zone. So everybody hops on over to a BMW Audi Lexus etc showroom mindlessly without any thought. Brand loyalty and peer pressure are a real thing.

And of course, Alfa not running a single marketing campaign for like 5 years now is also a factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
never ceases to amaze me how conservative north americans are, go get the alfa, goes like stink, looks like sex, sells below mrsp. Wtf else you need?
people are sheep, they want to feel validated in their purchase by friends/neighbors and stay within their comfort zone. So everybody hops on over to a bmw audi lexus etc showroom mindlessly without any thought. Brand loyalty and peer pressure are a real thing.

And of course, alfa not running a single marketing campaign for like 5 years now is also a factor.
10000% 👏🏼👍
They have a horrible reputation for reliability which affects resale which average 10-20% lower residual than their competitors.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 02:58 PM   #37
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
It's a good life.
I don't mean to pick on the owners, by all reports a wonderful vehicle but jeepers creepers i just can't look past that snout.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #38
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Never ceases to amaze me how conservative north americans are, go get the Alfa, goes like stink, looks like sex, sells below MRSP. wtf else you need?
People are sheep, they want to feel validated in their purchase by friends/neighbors and stay within their comfort zone. So everybody hops on over to a BMW Audi Lexus etc showroom mindlessly without any thought. Brand loyalty and peer pressure are a real thing.

And of course, Alfa not running a single marketing campaign for like 5 years now is also a factor.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

10000% 👏🏼👍
They have a horrible reputation for reliability which affects resale which average 10-20% lower residual than their competitors.
If you buying a car based on residual, then an Asian car would be the best choice.

Clearly, people who bought the Guilia liked it enough to say they'd buy it again more often than any other ICE car in it's class.

Well, being an enthusiast forum, I thought it would count for something. I realize people are paying huge premiums over MSRP to drive Kia Sorento's and such…
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9702.50
      03-26-2022, 04:26 PM   #39
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, but now 6ish years in their quality control has improved. Residuals are still lower than competitors yes, but again we are car enthusiasts right? Our hobby is objectively a poor use of money as it is. We'd financially be better off buying a CPO Lexus and driving it for years.

We should always aim to attain the best discount possible a car and be mindful of money, but a 10-20% residual hit as you claim is a small price to pay for a car if somebody really enjoys said car IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #40
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

The cheapest performance car to own by far is a 911 if you can swing the payments. I’ve bought 4 and collectively made $40k between them. Minimal repair and maintenance costs overall too, extremely reliable. That said, paying ADM on a new one is a sure fire way to lose a pile of cash.
Appreciate 3
Dino GT35134.50
jmg18705.00
Germanauto9702.50
      03-26-2022, 08:12 PM   #41
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
Looking for M3 competitors and the like
You should be able to get BMW M for MSRP. At least here in SoFla.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 08:23 PM   #42
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

10000% 👏🏼👍
If you buying a car based on residual, then an Asian car would be the best choice.

Clearly, people who bought the Guilia liked it enough to say they'd buy it again more often than any other ICE car in it's class.

Well, being an enthusiast forum, I thought it would count for something. I realize people are paying huge premiums over MSRP to drive Kia Sorento's and such…
Reliability plays some role in enjoying an enthusiast car. Part of the fun is diving it, and I can't drive it if it's at the shop or something's wrong with it, or if I even think something could go wrong with jt.

The residual goes into the smiles per mile equation. Sure, a used Alfa is only $30-35k but the stigma is that there is a greater chance of having problems and mounting up an expensive repair at a dealership that might not be terribly convenient or as affordable. Even you favorite mechanic might not be as versed in working or even getting parts on an Italian car.

At first glance, the Alfa doesn't seem like a good choice for me. It would take a lot of convincing to own a used one out of warranty. Customer satisfaction notwithstanding, I need actual owner feedback.

Appreciate 2
Germanauto9702.50
AlexFL7837.00
      03-26-2022, 09:47 PM   #43
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

10000% 👏🏼👍

Reliability plays some role in enjoying an enthusiast car. Part of the fun is diving it, and I can't drive it if it's at the shop or something's wrong with it, or if I even think something could go wrong with jt.

The residual goes into the smiles per mile equation. Sure, a used Alfa is only $30-35k but the stigma is that there is a greater chance of having problems and mounting up an expensive repair at a dealership that might not be terribly convenient or as affordable. Even you favorite mechanic might not be as versed in working or even getting parts on an Italian car.

At first glance, the Alfa doesn't seem like a good choice for me. It would take a lot of convincing to own a used one out of warranty. Customer satisfaction notwithstanding, I need actual owner feedback.
Maybe on the Alfa forum? Are you implying the customer satisfaction ratings are not from owners? It's like someone said, you'll likely go with the crowd as most people do 🤷🏻 nothing wrong with that…
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 09:59 PM   #44
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Definitely a good point. My family and I have always had headaches with our BMWs out of warranty, but it's still a safer choice than smaller more niche cars. We tend to keep cars between 3-8 years though, so less-than-stellar reliability is still bearable in that timeframe.

I have to agree with the other guy about the 911. The best combination of driving dynamics, reliability, and residual values of any sports car. That's why I aspire to have a 911 as my DD eventually.
Appreciate 0