BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery ED vs. in-stock

09-03-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

ED vs. in-stock

After a visit to the Welt last year I want to take delivery of my next 5-series there in 2018. The plan is to pick up the car and head north to Berlin, then a long drive to Copenhagen, and back to Hamburg to ship the car home to Florida. It is an 850 mile drive.

I am a few months from ordering, but asked my dealer for advice anyway. He suggested finding the car that I want in inventory, as the discount will exceed the 5% ED discount and I can avoid two overlapping lease payments. I am less concerned with the savings than the experience, up to a point.

Any advice from those who compared ED pricing vs. negotiating on stock cars vs. custom order for US dealer delivery? I want a well optioned 530i MSport, which will be rare but hopefully not impossible to locate. I might even choose the 540i if the color and options are right. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

"I am less concerned with the savings than the experience, up to a point."

I think you might have answered this yourself. I say pass on the in stock purchase and enjoy the ED experience. Why live with regrets? I have read many reviews of the ED experience and they all have made me envious to the point I'm considering it for my next car. Having said that, its true that you might be able to achieve an excellent discount on a 2017 beyond the ED discount. Will this be the case with the 2018s -- perhaps not.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 05:35 AM   #3
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Thanks. I did look on with envy of those picking up their new BMWs at the Welt when I visited. And a new BMW would have been more enjoyable than my diesel Opel wagon rental for that trip. (Though I have had far worse rentals in the States!)

On the other hand, I would regret ordering a car and paying thousands more for it than finding one with the nearly the same specs in stock, just for the privilege of picking it up in Germany. (The cost of the vacation itself is not a factor, as I plan a Berlin to Copenhagen vacation either way.) Really I want to know if anyone ran the numbers on a new ED lease and found it on parity with a US custom or in-stock order, especially factoring in the overlapping payments between pickup in Munich and arrival in the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
When ED was 7% it was a lot easier choice. Keep in mind you will lose at least 1 lease payment. BMW pays one of them but you'll end up making a second before you receive your car. Though being in Florida it won't be a total month loss since you'll get your car in 6-8 weeks opposed to 8-10 on West Coast. You also pay a higher money factor (which for BMW is already high) and that really adds to the cost.

I ran the numbers for me and it didn't make sense to do ED. Nowadays it will just cost you more even if you're not counting the trip cost. But ED is a great experience. I've done two and I recommend you do it at least once even know its costing you. BMW really does a wonderful job with their ED program and hey at least they don't charge extra for it like the penny puncher's at Porsche. For me now unless I was doing an individual order I would just have the dealer find me the perfect car and save the extra money.
Appreciate 1
ArchJR204.50
      09-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
Boeing Driver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750I

Do the delivery. My BEST car buying experience ever! Going again in about 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:41 AM   #6
GarlicBun
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M4 6MT

After the 5% invoice, no msd, ed becoming not as attractive. But ed is the experience and nice excuse to go to Europe every 3 years, so why not?
Status Gruppe | Enlaes | Vosteiner | M-Performance | IND | AC Schnitzer | Autotechnik
2012 Mini Cooper S Hardtop Laser Blue/black - Ours
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #7
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
5% is a standard discount.

Why don't you try to negotiate a ED invoice + profit price.

I am pretty sure that will be greater than 5%.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Granted its been 4 years since my F30 ED, but back then The numbers worked out something like ED MSRP equaling US invoice. The dealer I worked with gave me ED invoice (which was like 7% lower than ED MSRP then) plus $500 so the numbers were significantly more in my favor than buying from here. Also, back then lease payments on ED's worked a bit better because it was based on a combination of US and Euro numbers (I don't remember the specifics anymore). Maybe they've killed that perk. The car had a 57k MSRP and I ended up paying like 49k for it.