BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery change to "Build Your Own" on bmwusa

09-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

change to "Build Your Own" on bmwusa

I've been playing with Build Your Own for the 530e for a couple weeks, as I get closer to a final decision. I noticed yesterday that the Build Your Own platform has changed, at least for 530e.

Before you chose your base model then after color, interior, etc, you chose Packages, which included a Luxury and M Sport package. There was also a Premium package with certain things that really should be standard (Comfort Access).

Now you initially select a "line" - Sport, Luxury or M Sport. Then you choose a "tier" for that line - base, or Premium, or Executive. Each features options or parts of packages previously offered. This is all before any other selection, such as color.

As far as I can tell, pricing hasn't really changed. It's just differently calculated. The only other difference I notice is that there is no longer an "iPerformance deletion" for most colors other than the standard white/black/gray/silver. Before if you chose a blue or the beautiful Atlas Cedar (what a dumb name), there'd be a pop-up telling you you are selecting iPerformance features deletion. No longer happens. So I guess every color now gets the little blue highlights.

I saw Bluestone in person for first time and was a bit disappointed that there's not much blue in it, at least in that dealer's showroom lighting. It looked like a medium gray. If anything, it had a faint light green tint. If it had looked a bit more blue, I'd be taken with it.

I'm ordering for January, when my lease on our 2nd vehicle ends. My SA said I should place the order start of October, so I have a couple more weeks to decide. If anyone sees any more changes on Build Your Own that I didn't notice, let us know.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
Jeff661
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX x50 Stormbay Metalic

Garage List
2023 BMW iX x50  [0.00]
Luxury Seating Option is Gone

I just picked up my new 530ex on Friday. I saw this post about the changes to the build your car app and noticed that you can't get the 530e with luxury seating anymore. You can get the multi-contour seat but not the massaging ventilated one that I got on mine.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
bconly
Rep
Drives: f82

This changed for the 540 today too . . . Seems like some options are missing (like lux seating package and leather dash). Hope they sort this out.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
wilsontour
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 328i xDrive

The black grille option is missing in Option tab. Hope they can fix it asap.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsontour View Post
The black grille option is missing in Option tab. Hope they can fix it asap.
I see Black kidney grilles in Options. For the Sport model at least.

I just got back to my office desk after some time off, and I found a printout of price and specs for a 530e I did before the BYO update. As close as I can get the same specs, the price went from 62520 to 62670. So the repackaging bumped the price $150, but that probably includes a couple features in new Executive Tier that I didn't include before...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
wilsontour
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 328i xDrive

Definitely a bug there.

If you choose 530e in M Sports package, the black kidney grilles shows up. However if you choose 540i xdrive in M Sports package, then this option is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
I see Black kidney grilles in Options. For the Sport model at least.

I just got back to my office desk after some time off, and I found a printout of price and specs for a 530e I did before the BYO update. As close as I can get the same specs, the price went from 62520 to 62670. So the repackaging bumped the price $150, but that probably includes a couple features in new Executive Tier that I didn't include before...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Ignore the configurator. Just use the ordering and pricing guides. That is what your sales advisor will do. It is what I did when I ordered mine (status code 150 and scheduled for completion in a week).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsontour View Post
Definitely a bug there.

If you choose 530e in M Sports package, the black kidney grilles shows up. However if you choose 540i xdrive in M Sports package, then this option is gone.
I have a 530e on order with the MSport package but I couldn't get the black kidney grill option. In my case I suspect that it was because I ordered the nightvision with pedestrian detection option and I suspect that the IR camera is built into the regular grill. There might be a similar reason on the 540i Xdrive. Or, it could just be a quirk on the configurator.
Appreciate 0