BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding How To Wire A Subwoofer

04-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
Killer540i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540I M-Line

How To Wire A Subwoofer

Hi Guys,

I had a question Has anyone wired subwoofer to HK sound system. I want some more bass thats why i want to add 12" in the trunk I wouldnt know where to tap in/on. I also saw some people talking about wiring harness that is plug and play. Unless there is nothing like that for a g30 yet thats different.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

05-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #2
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Im in the same boat.

on the HK system does anyone know the underseat subwoofer wiring colours?

Im trying to tap into them from the boot where the amp is.
Would avoid needing to unscrew from seats and sub.

installing a sub and amp in the boot. My car doesnt have folding seats.
Ive read on a few forums that most of the bass wont make its way into the cabin because.

installing sub thats 300-400W RMS. will this be sufficient to compensate sound insulation of my sealed boot?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
530e1991
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittu View Post
Im in the same boat.

on the HK system does anyone know the underseat subwoofer wiring colours?

Im trying to tap into them from the boot where the amp is.
Would avoid needing to unscrew from seats and sub.

installing a sub and amp in the boot. My car doesnt have folding seats.
Ive read on a few forums that most of the bass wont make its way into the cabin because.

installing sub thats 300-400W RMS. will this be sufficient to compensate sound insulation of my sealed boot?
I did recently install amp and sub in my 2018 530e with great success and I have somewhat high hifi standards. I have the H/K and was NOT satisfied with the bass that could not follow from 50% volume and up. The sound quality itself is OK.

I used the following parts: amp, trunk subwoofer (2x8 inch) self made specially fitted, line output converter, technicpnp harness and wiring. Everything is documented with pictures. Everything is turned on/off by signalling. Basically everything was plug and play, still have to do the work with installing though.

After successfully installing and adjusting the gain/bass/volume/balance the results were very good. And for the people that says the bass won't make it in to the cabin is generally true but to my big surprise there is just a small difference in having the center open vs closed. You wouldn't believe it. But I think it has with the design I made for the subwoofer box. The two 8 inch is firing right into the back of the back seats. I tried uploading pictures but I think the resolution was too big.

Last edited by 530e1991; 05-25-2021 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: Typo " I have the H/K and was satisfied" -> " I have the H/K and was NOT satisfied"
Appreciate 0