BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Do you use vulgar language?

10-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #67
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I love all the old folks in this thread saying that using curse words shows a lack of intelligence.

https://www.sciencealert.com/swearin...say-scientists
A small ‘study’ by group of head shrinkers in a college doesn’t make it so.
My nephew graduated Marist and according to him and his classmates most of the staff is a den of liberal, leftist nut jobs. Psych professors likely are atop that demographic.
If you choose to believe that someone with a severely limited vocabulary who must instead insert a vulgarity every third word in conversation is intelligent so be it.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 10-03-2019 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #68
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Is "cunt" still considered vulgar?
Only if you have one.
Appreciate 7
RickFLM410882.00
wrickem2101.00
Conissah1574.50
Rmtt8206.00
      10-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #69
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I love all the old folks in this thread saying that using curse words shows a lack of intelligence.

https://www.sciencealert.com/swearin...say-scientists
It doesn't show a lack of intelligence at all, but it does make someone sound like a street thug if that type of language is used in the wrong professional setting. Not sure if you meant me when referring to the "old folks" but I'm 29. FYI I swear when it's appropriate, gives it more meaning.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      10-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #70
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
non-swearing swearing
I believe this is pathetic. You either obey or violate. Not both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
It actually offends me when a guy swears in a group setting and then looks at me if I'm the only female and says "Oh sorry about my language, there's a lady in the room". Ugh just STFU.
It can depend of what is meant. Sometimes they apologize to offend (like "I did mean it, of course!"). But it still reminds me a quote from a movie: "-You offended a lady! -I didn't see any.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Not sure if you meant me when referring to the "old folks" but I'm 29.
He might be 19 or something.

I read about a study (Well, you can study anything you like, the way you like, can't you? ) that discovered people that curse occasionally are more intelligent that those who (almost) never do. It should depend on knowing the time and reason, perhaps.

There are obviously different reasons for cursing:
  • Lack of vocabulary, using those few words only fitting that brain as universal is apparently most annoying (unless it's a foreigner who took a short course of the language );
  • Another reason is an attempt to decorate one's language. Mixed results. Some sound awkward and indecent , others are true artists of that, sound just amazing ;
  • My current reason is to convey how much annoyed I am, which is usually a lot (to give a chance to stop exploring my patience, in particular). Also to just wrap a multi-word definition into a single, short one. For convenience.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      10-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #71
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Reason #4 for cursing...habit; regardless of intelligence, meaning, etc. I swear far too much in normal conversation, and often forget I'm doing it. It's especially bad, now I have a 2yo son.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #72
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

^ The foreigner comment above reminds me:

I used to work for some Italians. Many of them did not speak English, so the company that we worked for paid for a very attractive Polish translator to teach them English. Mind you, the translator wasn't great at her job. I did happen to catch her explaining to them that Americans have a tendency to refer to objects in a female sense. Such as: She's a beaut, She can hold up to 12 crispy boys, etc. From this day forward, they referred to every thing as "She's." The amount of tools, objects and materials that were brought to me followed with, "Uuuuh, she's broken" was staggering. Every-damn-thing was "She's." Then we moved on to "Is This." I'm not sure how this got started, but it spread like wildfire. "Is This" was used anytime that one of them agreed with you. (i.e. Me: It's hot today Them: YES! Ees Thees!) From this variation came the elusive and seldom heard, "Is Never This" (this doesn't require an explanation in usage....still damn funny to hear in conversation though.)

Now, on to the vulgarities. Teaching these fine Italian gentlemen how to curse in English was, hands down, one of the most fun social experiments in my lifetime. After them picking up on the most used words, occasionally they would become confused in the order of the wording or just phrasing in general.

Two that stand out the most were:
"This man is head of penis!"
So I had to ask, "Antonello are you telling me that this man is a dickhead?"
Antonello: "Yes!!! This man is very much dickhead!" "He is hole in my ass!"
Me: "Do you mean asshole?"
Antonello: "Fuck you Mr. Jody! Now is you being hole in ass!"

Those guys were hard to work for and a person had to be able to take a cussing from them without laughing at them in the process. After they were done, you either gave it right back to them or they wouldn't respect you. If you didn't get back in their shit (without crossing a line, this was important) they would walk all over you. After you cussed them back and possibly raised your voice a little, the exchange may go on a for a few minutes, then eventually they would buy you an espresso, smoke a cigarette with you, then want to talk about sex acts performed with their wives and girlfriends & expect you to share stories also. At the time, I hated working there, but I thoroughly enjoyed working with the people that I worked with. I do miss those "Bastardos."
Appreciate 5
Rmtt8206.00
wrickem2101.00
MKSixer34171.50
      10-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #73
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Only when it's used on me.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #74
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Reason #4 for cursing...habit; regardless of intelligence, meaning, etc. I swear far too much in normal conversation, and often forget I'm doing it. It's especially bad, now I have a 2yo son.
It's a bad habit, by the way. I still remember one episode from 30+ years ago. I rode a bicycle with my buddies and had to brake hard. My bicycle had only the front brake working, so the rear wheel rose in the air and swung. Towards a young woman walking with her kids. It didn't touch her, but she blathered. I felt easy and wanted to apologize. Really. To be polite. And I did. But, absolutely unintentionally, added a very offensive, insulting word I was so used to use with those buddies of mine. It was an extremely awkward moment for me (as I delivered just the opposite to what I meant ). And I thought I should control my language better.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #75
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Absolutely when those people deserve it and they clearly have.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 09:57 PM   #76
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
It's a bad habit, by the way.
Yes indeed.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #77
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiastiaguitto View Post
If I don’t know someone in the group I avoid referring to anyone as a fucking cunt or cocksucker
What about jive Turkey
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      11-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #78
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Yes, I curse a lot, but not at work. Someone doesn't like the way I speak? Don't listen to me. I've had women on dates ask me similar to your neighbor. Well, then is the date over now Ms. Uptight?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #79
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

30 yrs in the military -- yup, it's in my DNA by now.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #80
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

I try not to curse. I stopped a few years. Diddly.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #81
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
When you’re a guest, it would be smart to follow the hosts lead. The older I get, I believe that your language reflects your intelligence or lack there of. If it’s a group of buddies and no ladies are around, it may get a little salty.
Yep agreed about the language reflecting intelligence. I’m not saying cursing is for low society or something but I’ve noticed a general correlation of cursing with lower intelligence.

I do use potty language myself but only if I’m in company I know very well. In the case of the OP I definitely wouldn’t have used such language.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      11-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #82
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I'm generally pretty g rated but think like a rap star.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #83
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
only during road rage
playing COD, dam campers
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #84
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #85
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
It doesn't show a lack of intelligence at all, but it does make someone sound like a street thug if that type of language is used in the wrong professional setting. Not sure if you meant me when referring to the "old folks" but I'm 29. FYI I swear when it's appropriate, gives it more meaning.
Appreciate 0