BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Map Updates (UK)

05-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #89
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bow View Post
Finally got round to USB updating my Nav, disappointingly the new road I use still isn't on there but the number of roads that have real time traffic seems to have tripled which is great - so hopefully less issues with "clear" B roads being taken instead of the motorway traffic only to end up in an even longer queue!
For the longest period both my G30 and previous F32 used to tell me I'm going the wrong way (identifying the road as one way) at one junction in Edinburgh. 2018-1 update finally fixed that.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #90
BimmerBal
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i G30

Morning everyone, new joiner to the G30 club and having similar issues as some of you guys in that the neither of the map updates show up for me in connected drives. Strangely the car has been getting OTA updates as it came with 2019-1 when I bought it in July. It’s a 2017 G30 build date Feb 2017.

When I called connected drive they told me that my vehicle is not compatible as it is ID5 which is nonsense as the OTA updates have been coming through.

They advised to the dealer and initially they couldn’t even apply the usb update and it had to be booked in again and now has 2019-2 for all of Europe.

I decided to get a vin decode and that shows as ID5.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dZiQVQzEDqyJruxCA

My interface and everything as it should be for ID6, touchscreen, live tiles etc.

Has anyone else had their vin decoded and if so could kindly advise what it shows for you?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Bal
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:20 AM   #91
nicholasbird
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D SE

just purchased 540i g30 2017.
connected drive services are all booked from previous owner and configured for map updates (ota and manual)

car was showing 2017 map version so ota may not have been working?

usb update was robust and simple. even switched off car mid update ...update continued next morning , once complete restarted nav and resumed current journey...impressive.

cant be certain but i think the hud display for junctions is now more rich.

oh and connect drive services also said my car was id5...which i believe is nonsense..i am not sure any g30s are id5.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #92
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Ota updates are just small updates, the usb method will be a full update which for the U.K. (which includes most of Europe) is about 32GB in size.
So presumably previous owner did not bother updating maps via usb updates hence it showing as 2017.

If you can usb updates on you connected drive login , you should be able to download . Note it's buried in the webpage , not laid out very well to find to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #93
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d SE G30 2017

I’ve had my G30 for nearly 3 years now. I initially expected the OTA updates to update the maps, but it never has. I have had at least three OTA updates to the navigation system I can remember, but I think these must have been for software or functionality as these never updated the maps themselves.

I have used the USB update process two or three times successfully and it’s pretty easy; as others have suggested you need at least a 64gb USB stick to do it, but once loaded into the stick just plug into the car and it’ll sort itself out and tell you when it’s done. If you interrupt the process, it just picks up again from where it left off - normally takes about 15-20 minutes to update.

If you have a BMW service plan, check the small print - my plan includes map updates to be done by the dealer. Rather than paying out for a USB update, you may already be entitled for an update with your service plan.
Appreciate 0