BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Aux input in NBT Evo

04-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: '2011 E92 LCI 335i

Aux input in NBT Evo

Hi everyone,

Have any of you heard/used this product?
http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...&cat=16&page=1

It seems that there's an option to add aux input for those who were unfortunate enough to receive a car with additional USB socket instead.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 12:22 AM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Why would you want Aux imput? You are going to get better quality using USB drive with flac audio.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 03:34 AM   #3
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Why would you want Aux imput? You are going to get better quality using USB drive with flac audio.
I am using that already - copied all of my USB FLAC content to the internal hard drive, however I would like to have ability to listen to Tidal for example as it contains much more music which can be freely choosen depending on the mood
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreQonE View Post
I am using that already - copied all of my USB FLAC content to the internal hard drive, however I would like to have ability to listen to Tidal for example as it contains much more music which can be freely choosen depending on the mood
FYI: When CD's are copied to Hard Drive, they are compressed. I am not sure if USB media is the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 01:41 AM   #5
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
FYI: When CD's are copied to Hard Drive, they are compressed. I am not sure if USB media is the same.
I know, thank you

However this is not the case for importing from USB - 10gigs of lossless WMA's or FLAC's will weigh 10gigs on the internal HDD, so no transcode there
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 01:47 AM   #6
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep

I have found a partial solution:
https://gromaudio.com/dashlinq/

This cable when paired with application allows android device to be seen by the NBT (or any other multimedia infotainment system in this case) as an iPhone - audio output is then realised through USB cable, using internal in-car DAC.

I have ordered the cable, waiting for the package now
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      04-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep

Ok, So I am testing the GROM Audio Wirelinq solution.

It's by no means perfect, what I was able to find out is that Android devices only up to Android 8.0 work.
Lack of compatibility with newer devices is due to the fact that Google without telling anyone removed it's support for a codec/framework called AOAV2 which allowed for such a magicalfeckery to happen.

The solution itself is buggy at best, sometimes it does not connect when using older phone and sometimes it just chirps around.
I thought that this wouldn't be much of an issue as I have Wifi hotspot in my car, however quality of the internet connection with the hotspot does not allow for a comfortable streaming of music.

So summing it up, if you have an older phone then it might be OK, however I wouldn't recommend it if you want to set up an older android for the task.

And the quality of audio is OK, it's not perfect because there's some upsampling/downsampling going on, however it's a night and day difference if you compare it to bluetooth.
Appreciate 0