BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding ceramic i-drive + touch climate retrofit for my 2021 g30 lci and Dealer Updates ?

09-16-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
negative
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 LCI

ceramic i-drive + touch climate retrofit for my 2021 g30 lci and Dealer Updates ?

Hello

I just bought my car in last week and it has no ceramic package but i love the ceramic applications so i bought a ceramic i-drive controller from 2017 g12 7 series.

I changed it myself and works like a charm, fit perfectly and loved it

However, i worry about dealer's warranty and possible problems while software upgrade on service in next

I read someone have problem with dealer when they tried the software upgrade because of there is incompatible part in the car. But i think it may related with production date, i don't know exactly.

In this mean, car's production date is 07/2020 but part's (i-drive) production date looks as 2017. Or problem occurs when part's production date newer than car's production date? or it doesn't matter both ?

*Also, i'm thinking to change the my standart climate unit to touch version with ceramic also. That parts is older one then car's production date also, so that is problem too ? or i worry unnecessarily ?

Dealers cause problem with these replacements? Like when regular software updates etc? These parts doesn't require the coding already but they may catch the parts as incompatible etc i'm not sure.

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by negative; 09-17-2020 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Yes you could have a problem during dealer software update. It will scan for original equipment and if it finds an incompatible one, it will halt and ask you to remove the equipment