BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 650i GC to m550i?

01-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
Dutt1113
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xdrive

650i GC to m550i?

has anyone here made the switch from a 650 GC to m550i? I know this is a g30 forum but I was wondering if anyone has experience with both. I can't decide between the 2 for next purchase in the spring. I was thinking either 2017 650 GC or 2018 m550i. What does the m550i have that 650 GC wouldn't bedsides stupid gesture gimmick? I know the 2017 650 can just code idrive 6 to same as m550i just without touch screen, which I don't like btw ( damn greasy fingerprints all over screen) so infotainment is pretty equal.
      01-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
runbuh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i

I think the GC is a much sexier car (and I drive a 2020 M550i).

Although I owned a 2012 650i convertible, I have never gotten up close and personal with the GC. Seems like it would/should have more rear leg room than a G30. Otherwise, to me, it would come down to which options you're comparing. If the cars are configured apples to apples (sound system, seats, headlights, other options), and have similar mileage/condition, I would take the GC.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #3
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

The interior on GC is seemed dated to me by any standard. I passed on the GC after sitting in it and letting the interior sink in. Yes, it is a sexy car from the outside (in some trims), but you end up driving it from the inside, and on the inside it is the last gen 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:07 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutt1113 View Post
has anyone here made the switch from a 650 GC to m550i? I know this is a g30 forum but I was wondering if anyone has experience with both. I can't decide between the 2 for next purchase in the spring. I was thinking either 2017 650 GC or 2018 m550i. What does the m550i have that 650 GC wouldn't bedsides stupid gesture gimmick? I know the 2017 650 can just code idrive 6 to same as m550i just without touch screen, which I don't like btw ( damn greasy fingerprints all over screen) so infotainment is pretty equal.
Didn't the entire 6-series get canceled? At least that's the case in the US. Never mind, I just reread your original post. Get the M550i!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

The GC is too old by now. Putting your money into something like that isn't a good idea.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #6
Dutt1113
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSander View Post
The GC is too old by now. Putting your money into something like that isn't a good idea.
what about the newer 2017 Gran coupes with updated features and newer tech? (the newer ones have adaptive cruise, full digital cluster, idrive 5/6 and some newer tech as compared to the older 2012/13 which are severly outdated.
      01-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
what about the newer 2017 Gran coupes with updated features and newer tech? (the newer ones have adaptive cruise, full digital cluster, idrive 5/6 and some newer tech as compared to the older 2012/13 which are severly outdated.
Your'e still driving on an older platform, with older interior. I drove the GC M6, found nothing special about it, and thought M550i was better in every category. So a regular GC is a non-starter in my book.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Listen to the others. You'll be happy with the M550i G30. I'd buy another one tomorrow If I needed a new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540, 2016 GX460

I always loved the 6 series. But....

Not long after I got my 2017 540, it was in the shop for several days, and my loaner was a 650 M Sport Convertible. Yes, you read that right. I enjoyed driving it because the weather was top down weather the entire time I had it, and the engine sounded great.

That's where it ends. My 540 is just as fast, smoother and far more modern feeling. Much more comfortable. The now defunct 6 series is seriously dated inside compared to the G30.

The 550 is a no brainer. But I admit the 6 GC will go down as one of the best looking BMWs ever. Nearly perfect lines and proportions. But no way do I want one.
      01-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #10
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have 2012 535i xdrive. My buddy picked up a new 2019 M5 Competition, I'm also on the fence on getting the M550i. I did look at the 650i GC myself earlier this year as well. M550i is definitely the way to go. Everything in that car is new, from the engine technology, chassis, interior.... everything inside that 6 series is old! Just think of it like this, the GC is an iphone 7 or maybe 8 and the M550i is the new iphone 11 pro.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2020, 06:15 PM   #11
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I always loved the 6 series. But....

Not long after I got my 2017 540, it was in the shop for several days, and my loaner was a 650 M Sport Convertible. Yes, you read that right. I enjoyed driving it because the weather was top down weather the entire time I had it, and the engine sounded great.

That's where it ends. My 540 is just as fast, smoother and far more modern feeling. Much more comfortable. The now defunct 6 series is seriously dated inside compared to the G30.

The 550 is a no brainer. But I admit the 6 GC will go down as one of the best looking BMWs ever. Nearly perfect lines and proportions. But no way do I want one.
Can't agree more!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I have 2012 535i xdrive. My buddy picked up a new 2019 M5 Competition, I'm also on the fence on getting the M550i. I did look at the 650i GC myself earlier this year as well. M550i is definitely the way to go. Everything in that car is new, from the engine technology, chassis, interior.... everything inside that 6 series is old! Just think of it like this, the GC is an iphone 7 or maybe 8 and the M550i is the new iphone 11 pro.
This guy gets it. #NailedIt
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Both are pretty nice. Honestly it might be which you prefer to drive/which you prefer stylistically inside and out or like more.

Personally I've always loved the 6GC. Timeless and elegant inside and out, it reminds me of the perfect GT car if you need 4-doors. While the interior is "older," I wouldn't say the G30 has a modern interior either other than the new iDrive 7 and Gauge Cluster - which many argue is a step backwards from the previous hybrid analogue/digital gauges.

The 6 will be lower, wider, and longer, but if your back can cope with getting in and out its still a very nice place to be. Driving wise they both likely don't have many differences. The 550 is faster, but both are still plenty fast for everyday use and will likely never see a drag strip/track. The G30 is newer, but I doubt the changes to the driving dynamics are radically different to that of the 6 to sway a decision based solely on handling.

Also a quick note, AWD 6-Series models receive hydraulic steering, which is super crisp and delivers great feedback compared to modern BMW EPS.

Personally, I would take the 6GC and use the extra cash saved by buying used for warranties/savings, but thats mainly because I LOVE the looks of the 6GC and would want the hydraulic steering, and it just feels like a more special car. Try both out, whatever car you get I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
      08-19-2020, 07:12 AM   #14
VK_Technician
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M550IX

I went from 2014 F06 650ix GC M Sport to M550ix. I owned the GC for 2 yrs and here is my experience. The most handsome car I have ever owned. The whole 2yrs of ownership I was bombarded with compliments about how good the car looked. The exterior was sexy, elegant and aggressive all at the same time. The car sat low enough to give the car an aggressive stance, but sat high enough to clear speed bumps and driveways. and The interior was tight, refined and had the feeling of exclusiveness. Cosmetically, it was perfect. It didn't need to be modded with wheels or CF, wings, etc. I was satisfied. The stock exhaust sounded perfect. Quiet enough for daily driving, and loud enough to get your attention in Sport+. The car was a blast to drive in Sport +, but thats where the fun ended. In comfort mode the car was sluggish, the throttle response was so poor I had to really push the pedal to get the car going. It was not fun to drive unless it was in Sport or Sport+. The steering was very heavy, even for a luxury car like this. Felt like I as doing a shoulder workout at the gym some days. The fuel economy was to be expected 14mpg was average, but 26-28mpg highway. I felt the brakes weren't really the best either. The car should have been offered with blue M Sport Brembo brake kit. The car weighed 4600lbs! Its not a sports car by any means but the car really lacked in the handling department. Putting it in Sport and adjusting the suspension stiffness was the only way I could really enjoy the ride without the car feeling like a boat. The icing on the cake, was the seat comfort, or lack there of. The car came with ventilated sport seats that had the massage function...the worst seats I have ever sat on. After 3 months of ownership I realized I couldn't drive the car on long trips more than 2 hrs+ without severe pain developing in my right leg/butt. The Sport seats provided very little cushion and even with the massage function on it did little to ease the discomfort in stop and go ATL traffic or long out of state treks. I began to have a "love/hate" relationship with this car. It was gorgeous, but abusive... Soon I started looking at other cars and there was nothing I saw that got my attention. I started to look at M3's but they didn't have any refinement and sounded atrocious, but then I remembered the M550ix. On paper it was the ideal choice, 462hp, newest tech, and all wheel drive. At first I wasn't attracted to the car at all. It looked bland and boring online, nothing sexy about it. But when I saw it in person and test drove it, it made sense. The test drive is what won me over. The M550ix handled damn good. It weighs 300lbs less and you could feel it. The steering feel was perfect and I didn't need to adjust it. The seats feel great, I can take long trips and handle traffic without the previous discomfort. This car has features the old F06 had and more obviously, some of which I've been wanting, like adaptive cruise and lane keep assist. The fuel economy is excellent. I get 28-32mpg highway cruising at 75-80mph. If I drive at 70mph or lower I've managed 34mpg. Thats crazy for a 4300lb AWD twin turbo V8 IMO. But overall the M550i grew on me and I realized its more sports-oriented than my old 650. The stock exhaust is abnormally quiet. When I test drove it, it actually sounded strange, like something was wrong with the exhaust. Then I realized it was the fake exhaust noise playing thru the speakers. The first thing I did after I bought it was pull over to a gas station and code out active sound. Next I had a shop remove both sets of resonators to get the sound I wanted, now its perfect. This car has this subtle yet aggressive raked stance on the stock 20's and its perfect, no need for lowering springs. This thing stops on a dime with the huge Brembo brake package. Requires very little effort to stop this thing in everyday conditions. One thing I didn't like, but most do like, are the Cerium sliver trim pieces. I swapped them all out with gloss black trim and added a CF lip and man does it give the car a more aggressive look. That's as far as I'm willing to go cosmetically. I can say without a doubt this was an upgrade. I do miss the look of the 650ix GC but I have gained more than what I have lost with the M550ix.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #15
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

To repeat some of what VK_Technician wrote, from my perspective:

I had a 640i GC. I thought the interior was gorgeous, and of course it's stunning outside.

The car is heavier than it should be and I thought the ride was too stiff in comfort mode.

I now have a 540i, which is better in every regard except looks.

I see no reason why those impressions would not be the same for the V8 version.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 07:54 AM   #16
BimmerGeneral14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK_Technician View Post
I went from 2014 F06 650ix GC M Sport to M550ix. I owned the GC for 2 yrs and here is my experience. The most handsome car I have ever owned. The whole 2yrs of ownership I was bombarded with compliments about how good the car looked. The exterior was sexy, elegant and aggressive all at the same time. The car sat low enough to give the car an aggressive stance, but sat high enough to clear speed bumps and driveways. and The interior was tight, refined and had the feeling of exclusiveness. Cosmetically, it was perfect. It didn't need to be modded with wheels or CF, wings, etc. I was satisfied. The stock exhaust sounded perfect. Quiet enough for daily driving, and loud enough to get your attention in Sport+. The car was a blast to drive in Sport +, but thats where the fun ended. In comfort mode the car was sluggish, the throttle response was so poor I had to really push the pedal to get the car going. It was not fun to drive unless it was in Sport or Sport+. The steering was very heavy, even for a luxury car like this. Felt like I as doing a shoulder workout at the gym some days. The fuel economy was to be expected 14mpg was average, but 26-28mpg highway. I felt the brakes weren't really the best either. The car should have been offered with blue M Sport Brembo brake kit. The car weighed 4600lbs! Its not a sports car by any means but the car really lacked in the handling department. Putting it in Sport and adjusting the suspension stiffness was the only way I could really enjoy the ride without the car feeling like a boat. The icing on the cake, was the seat comfort, or lack there of. The car came with ventilated sport seats that had the massage function...the worst seats I have ever sat on. After 3 months of ownership I realized I couldn't drive the car on long trips more than 2 hrs+ without severe pain developing in my right leg/butt. The Sport seats provided very little cushion and even with the massage function on it did little to ease the discomfort in stop and go ATL traffic or long out of state treks. I began to have a "love/hate" relationship with this car. It was gorgeous, but abusive... Soon I started looking at other cars and there was nothing I saw that got my attention. I started to look at M3's but they didn't have any refinement and sounded atrocious, but then I remembered the M550ix. On paper it was the ideal choice, 462hp, newest tech, and all wheel drive. At first I wasn't attracted to the car at all. It looked bland and boring online, nothing sexy about it. But when I saw it in person and test drove it, it made sense. The test drive is what won me over. The M550ix handled damn good. It weighs 300lbs less and you could feel it. The steering feel was perfect and I didn't need to adjust it. The seats feel great, I can take long trips and handle traffic without the previous discomfort. This car has features the old F06 had and more obviously, some of which I've been wanting, like adaptive cruise and lane keep assist. The fuel economy is excellent. I get 28-32mpg highway cruising at 75-80mph. If I drive at 70mph or lower I've managed 34mpg. Thats crazy for a 4300lb AWD twin turbo V8 IMO. But overall the M550i grew on me and I realized its more sports-oriented than my old 650. The stock exhaust is abnormally quiet. When I test drove it, it actually sounded strange, like something was wrong with the exhaust. Then I realized it was the fake exhaust noise playing thru the speakers. The first thing I did after I bought it was pull over to a gas station and code out active sound. Next I had a shop remove both sets of resonators to get the sound I wanted, now its perfect. This car has this subtle yet aggressive raked stance on the stock 20's and its perfect, no need for lowering springs. This thing stops on a dime with the huge Brembo brake package. Requires very little effort to stop this thing in everyday conditions. One thing I didn't like, but most do like, are the Cerium sliver trim pieces. I swapped them all out with gloss black trim and added a CF lip and man does it give the car a more aggressive look. That's as far as I'm willing to go cosmetically. I can say without a doubt this was an upgrade. I do miss the look of the 650ix GC but I have gained more than what I have lost with the M550ix.
Great comparison....I think. I am 72, and in the process of trading a 2014 650 GC for a 2021 M550. I realize that I am not getting a better looking car....even the 8 doesn't beat the 650, IMO. But, the tech and interior upgrades are significant. Also, looking for a softer comfort mode and a car that I won't have to claw my way out of as my back ages with me. Looking forward to ferocious acceleration, then driver assist cruising.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #17
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

I have not driven the 650 before but I did enjoy driving an M6 way more than my M550i... I don't think tech is a big deal because tech changes every other year anyways and the older interior actually felt more solid to me.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
90rr105.50
      08-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #18
VK_Technician
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjackson View Post
I have not driven the 650 before but I did enjoy driving an M6 way more than my M550i... I don't think tech is a big deal because tech changes every other year anyways and the older interior actually felt more solid to me.
I preferred the 650GC interior over the M550i as well. The GC's interior has a snug feel to it, like it wraps around you. The seating positions are lower and the window frames are shorter letting less light into the cabin, giving it a more enclosed feeling. My windows were tinted so it was super dark in the cabin. The M550i interior is more open. The windows are larger, the roof is higher, having the traditional sedan look. It was so bright and well lit inside the cabin that I was offended. I felt like a vampire, so I immediately had the windows tinted to offset the change. I do feel that the ambient lighting at night makes up for anything lacking during the day.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #19
nick707
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i Gran Coupe

I just ordered a LCI 2021 M550i. I drive a 2015 650i Gran Coupe that I purchased CPO 2 years ago. I daily drive the car and I have test driven new M550i's and I can personally tell you that the M550i is quieter, more comfortable, has better ride quality (even on summer performance 20" run flats), is much quicker, more responsive, and has better tech. It's all around a better vehicle. I think part of the improvements are because of the new CLAR platform that the new G30 rides on. My 650 still has a beautiful interior (I have opal white full merino leather with B&O audio), but the tech is getting dated. Looking forward to my new 2021 M550i when it arrives!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #20
VK_Technician
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick707 View Post
I just ordered a LCI 2021 M550i. I drive a 2015 650i Gran Coupe that I purchased CPO 2 years ago. I daily drive the car and I have test driven new M550i's and I can personally tell you that the M550i is quieter, more comfortable, has better ride quality (even on summer performance 20" run flats), is much quicker, more responsive, and has better tech. It's all around a better vehicle. I think part of the improvements are because of the new CLAR platform that the new G30 rides on. My 650 still has a beautiful interior (I have opal white full merino leather with B&O audio), but the tech is getting dated. Looking forward to my new 2021 M550i when it arrives!
I agree, these are all points that won me over to the M550i.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #21
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Love my M550. So much better, in every way, than my previous M4. Yes, even acceleration (since all the M4 did was spin tires). Cushy, calm touring car with great gas mileage in Comfort mode, a sleeping dragon when awakened with Sport Plus, yielding thrilling performance. Best car I have ever owned. Like VirtualGuitars, I also would buy another immediately, if I needed another car.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #22
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

The GC is the largest sedan that BMW makes and drives like it. Sexy as F@$& but is a highway cruiser and not a fun car to drive. The M550 is no track star but still better than the GC due to BMW addressing weight in the G30.
Appreciate 0