BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Broken drivers side door handle.....

01-19-2021, 02:23 AM   #1
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Broken drivers side door handle.....

So last night while trying to get into my car, I noticed the door handle was very stiff and didn't return to the "closed" position without pushing it that final part, which was weird.

I guessed it may have to do with lubrication but again, thought that strange since I've never had to do that in the past.

Nevertheless, the door open and closed and I decided to look at it later. I got to the store I was going to and as I pulled the handle, I heard a sharp "click", and the entire handle became completely loose.

The handle itself won't come out of the door frame, but it's not attached to any of the door mechanism and it just rattles around.

Comfort access and lock still work, but the only way to enter the car is through the rear passenger door and leaning over to open the drivers' door handle on the inside.

Has this happened to anyone else here and is it easy enough to fix?!

I have the car booked into the garage for Thursday, but I have a number of trips to make before then!
      01-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #2
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

By any chance was it really cold overnight.
I had the same issue with my door and had to open it from the inside (through window or via passenger seat). Spoke to BMW assist and they advised to leave engine running and warm up car. After a short drive the problem went away once the door thawed out.

I found it strange that the handle felt "floppy" (can think of a better way of describing it) and when I pushed the door to shut, it would bounce back open (as the latch was in the open position). the only way I could close it was to hold the door shut and then hit the lock button on the fob.

This bugs the hell out of me as I have had BMW's for over 10 years and my 2018 G30 is the only one that has ever had frozen handles.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadz View Post
I had the same issue with my door and had to open it from the inside (through window or via passenger seat). Spoke to BMW assist and they advised to leave engine running and warm up car. After a short drive the problem went away once the door thawed out.

I found it strange that the handle felt "floppy" (can think of a better way of describing it) and when I pushed the door to shut, it would bounce back open (as the latch was in the open position). the only way I could close it was to hold the door shut and then hit the lock button on the fob.

This bugs the hell out of me as I have had BMW's for over 10 years and my 2018 G30 is the only one that has ever had frozen handles.
I have had the exact same problem with one of my rear doors when it is below freezing. The dealer looked at it and didn't find any fault. It's a pain in the mornings, especially if I'm having to take the kids anywhere and it's frozen! I find that pouring warm water over it a few times sorts it out.

Like you say, it bugs the hell out of me too!

If it's any help...Here a link to the video I sent the dealer.

BMW Frozen Door Handle
Appreciate 1
Nadz39.50
      01-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
Quote:

I have had the exact same problem with one of my rear doors when it is below freezing. The dealer looked at it and didn't find any fault. It's a pain in the mornings, especially if I'm having to take the kids anywhere and it's frozen! I find that pouring warm water over it a few times sorts it out.

BMW Frozen Door Handle
That video is spot on! Here was me with my floppy handle!

I have had many BMs and this is the first it has happened to. The only door that works is the passenger one. So I open that and lean in and open the drivers from the inside. However I will then forget and when I get back to the car will try the handle and go through the hassle of holding it shut while locking it!

Im in Scotland so we do see freezing weather. I wonder if others in colder climates have the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #5
fly@night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:

I just found this post, and this exact thing happened to me this past Saturday. I’m new to BMW, and I literally thought I’d be heading to the dealer on Monday!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:17 AM   #6
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep

First time it happened I had to call BMW assist and other than spraying WD40 on the locking mechanism, there was nothing else to do other than thaw the car out (leave engine running and heating on, park in the sun or use the hot water idea by hollpe
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #7
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Reminds me of windows not rolling down in my old E46 due to the rubber beading having lifted up and letting condensation freeze inside. (replacing that fixed it)

So my thought is some sort of rubber lining/something in the door caused it?
Sounds fair or did i pick the wrong week to stop taking amphetamines?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:39 PM   #8
Brettstrikes
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Door handles

My 2019 550 is going to the dealer due to the above mentioned problem tomorrow. My driver's door and passenger rear door do not open properly nor do they shut when below freezing. Garage overnight, no issues. I will keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #9
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettstrikes View Post
My 2019 550 is going to the dealer due to the above mentioned problem tomorrow. My driver's door and passenger rear door do not open properly nor do they shut when below freezing. Garage overnight, no issues. I will keep you posted
Please do. Will be interesting to see the "official" diagnosis
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #10
Brettstrikes
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Bowden cables replaced at all four corners. Doors open and close perfectly even after staying outside in freezing weather. Dealer said it is a common issue. 2019 M550 with 11,800 miles. Disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:46 PM   #11
proe212
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i XDrive

Same problem here. I'm in Ontario and it's been quite cold lately. I keep the car in the garage though (around +3C at night) and still facing the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #12
crmgr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport

Had the handle beak on my 2017 540 M-Sport. Handle had to be ordered from Germany and painted to match the body color of the unit. Not a part kept in the US parts center back in 2018. Took a few weeks to get it repaired.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep

this seems to be a more common complaint now the colder weather is hitting us (at least in the UK). I still don't get how BMW can release a car that suffers so badly in cold weather, given that their sales countries would surely include those with colder climates. I have had several BMs and only noticed the problem in a 2018 G31 (previously had an E60 and an F10 with no issues).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #14
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Bumping this up.. having this now happen on a 2019 M550i as well. Driver rear only.

Same symptoms. Ffeels like the handle is disengaged completely. If door is open and I try closing it, it won't latch. Have to play around with lock/unlock with the door pressed against car for it to latch.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 04:18 PM   #15
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

I got a G30 540i and the last 2 days this has been happening to me. From what i'm reading, its the bowden cable.

This is the SIB. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60258-9999.pdf

If you have warranty it should cover -- if not, like me, i will find out what its going to cost.

Extremely annoyed by this because my warranty just ended like 2 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 06:47 AM   #16
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3LaZeN View Post
I got a G30 540i and the last 2 days this has been happening to me. From what i'm reading, its the bowden cable.

This is the SIB. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60258-9999.pdf

If you have warranty it should cover -- if not, like me, i will find out what its going to cost.

Extremely annoyed by this because my warranty just ended like 2 months ago.
would see if you can still get it covered by warranty. sometimes they are generous if your warranty just ended.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 02:38 PM   #17
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
would see if you can still get it covered by warranty. sometimes they are generous if your warranty just ended.
Ill check. I have the extra 1 year CPO warranty but the SA over the phone said its not covered under that.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 06:28 AM   #18
Gspsaku
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post

BMW Frozen Door Handle
How did you remedy it? Did you have to get it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 10:55 AM   #19
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gspsaku View Post
How did you remedy it? Did you have to get it fixed?
Unfortunately it was never resolved. I just had to keep using the warm water 'workaround' (I've sold the car now).
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:11 AM   #20
MCL_24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540ix

Bumping this up…

Ran into this door latch issue this winter on my 2019 540 and it was pretty problematic because it happened to my rear passenger door, which is where my toddler’s car seat is.

I just called to make an appointment to bring the car to the dealer to get it fixed. I would think this should be covered under CPO warranty. Sounds like some of you guys are saying it isn’t? Would seem pretty absurd to me but if in the event it isn’t covered… any idea what they’re going to try and charge me?
Appreciate 0