BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Question about driving profiles

01-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG/DCT (gone!)

Question about driving profiles

Hi!

Me and my wife both drive the LCI G31 530e.

We share one of the keys (the other is kept in a safe place, just in case) as opposed to each one use its own key.

So, we did not associate either of our profiles to the key. Why? Because if I tied it to my wife’s profile, each time I would unlock the car, the seat memory, mirrors, etc would be automatically adjusted to her settings. Then, I would have to select my profile inside the car and wait for the seats to adjust again. Not practical.

I thought that, since no profile is associated with the key, the car would “remember” the last profile used. To my surprise, the car always assumes the “occasional” profile each time we unlock the car. Then, both of us have to select our profile.

Is there anyway to keep it simple and have the car simply remember the last profile used and assume it until someone changes it?

Or should we use the occasional with seat setting number 1 to one and seat settings number 2 to the other? But this means all other profile information is lost, car will just retain seat and mirror position

Thanks for your help. Regards
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #2
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Not sure if this is the best answer but what I have done in older cars without keys associated to profiles was to do basically like you said to end with.
Just use the seat settings of 1 and 2. As you said, that won't save other profile items but maybe the two of you can agree on how you want everything else set up.
I haven't tested what happens in the G30 when you use a seat setting, get out, and come back but it sounds like it might be worth a try for you two.
You could also just buy a third key if you need one for safekeeping. Good excuse to buy a display key, maybe?
Appreciate 1
Lp01109.00
      01-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I'd revert to using a separate key and associating the key to the profile so it works a lot more seamlessly. Then you get everything like you need it without any hassle...

What's the point for locking a key in a safe? If one of you were to lose your key it is unlikely you'd both lose your keys at the same time I suspect. If you really need one in a safe you could always order a third, but I see that as a waste of money honestly.

With that setup you'll get seat position adjusted as soon as you unlock the car to match each driver. You'll get radio station set to what you were last listening to. Presets set as they were for you and on and on.
Appreciate 1
Lp01109.00
      01-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for your suggestions. Buying a key could be an answer to it, sure, but once more, it would be something so, so simple to solve through software using a tick box somewhere in car settings... need to investigate if it is something that could be coded using bimmercode for instance.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Question about driving profiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp01 View Post
...so simple to solve through software using a tick box somewhere in car settings... need to investigate if it is something that could be coded using bimmercode for instance.
Having just used BimmerCode for the first time myself, I can say that the driving profiles aren't codeable in the basic mode. I just connected the App to the car again to confirm that for you too.

That said, I am obviously not a pro with the App yet so maybe something exists in expert mode.
Appreciate 1
Lp01109.00
      01-11-2021, 01:22 AM   #6
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt

I really don't see the point why you're not using the profiles. That's the whole point in this feature.

Just assign the profiles to your keys and when you enter the car all settings will be set to the driver.

But you prefer to neglect the technology then you may uncheck the box at the end of user profile settings that says "adjust settings (or seats) to assigned user each time". I couldn't remember the full name but that setting is in either under seat memories or under user settings. Unchecking it will prevent the car to adjust the seats automatically.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:44 AM   #7
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Currently we use the profiles but with the hassle of it being tied to one os us and not tied to the last one used.

As simple as that. A tiny software adjustment would allow us to use the car in a much simpler way

Now, in the absence of that option when using the same key (use the last seat position) maybe the most pratical way will be to use the same profile with different settings for position 1 and position 2.

What will I loose anyway? Profiles don't seem to add much value behind the seat position anyway. Not even a fuel consumption/ eletric use for each profile or comparison is available...

Regards
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #8
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
What will I loose anyway? Profiles don't seem to add much value behind the seat position anyway.
Well, it may be different in Europe, but here in the USA I can set the radio presets, interior light color, seat positions, mirrors and steering wheel as well as
memory for each, greeting name, active safety features settings (distance, etc.) and probably about 30 more things, all associated with a profile.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Well, it may be different in Europe, but here in the USA I can set the radio presets, interior light color, seat positions, mirrors and steering wheel as well as
memory for each, greeting name, active safety features settings (distance, etc.) and probably about 30 more things, all associated with a profile.
Yeah, profiles are a key factor in the G30 being awesome IMHO. This feature is absolutely amazing.

For instance, when I'm driving and my driver's profile are in place the car remembers my seat position and memory settings as well as my passenger seat position and memory settings. As a result, when my wife is driving it can shift for her as driver and for me as passenger since it treats all seat memory settings as profile specific. So you end up with "3" memory positions (2 x Door Memory Buttons, 1x "Last Position") per front seat per profile depending on options.

You like listening to your memory card and you get into the car it plays where you left off based on your profile and if your spouse gets in it starts playing her radio station instead.

Car fully changes over to make each driver feel at home and it is the sort of icing on the cake for the tech/luxury feeling of the G30 IMHO.

Skipping them is like going to an orchestra and never entering the auditorium. Sure, you can hear the music outside, but you're missing out on so much.

If you're on MY2020 or later your profile is stored "on the cloud" so you can get synchronized settings in every BMW you drive with iDrive 7 or later simply by signing in. Really cool stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #10
Carlos s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

On my F32, when you set a profile to a key, it is assigned to that key, but what is great is that as soon as you change to another active profile, then that newly active profile is then associated with that key. So it then stays as default for that key until one of us gets in and switches to our own profile. And there is an option that asks you to select the profile as soon as you start the car.

That said. We use both of our keys for convenience. But if say I am driving and we only have my key but then my partner takes over driving for the rest of the trip, it’s easy as pie to move into her profile. Her profile will then default to my key until I next select my profile on my key

Unless BMW had overhauled the whole profile system, then this sounds like it could solve it for you

Quote:
Hi!

Me and my wife both drive the LCI G31 530e.

We share one of the keys (the other is kept in a safe place, just in case) as opposed to each one use its own key.

So, we did not associate either of our profiles to the key. Why? Because if I tied it to my wife’s profile, each time I would unlock the car, the seat memory, mirrors, etc would be automatically adjusted to her settings. Then, I would have to select my profile inside the car and wait for the seats to adjust again. Not practical.

I thought that, since no profile is associated with the key, the car would “remember” the last profile used. To my surprise, the car always assumes the “occasional” profile each time we unlock the car. Then, both of us have to select our profile.

Is there anyway to keep it simple and have the car simply remember the last profile used and assume it until someone changes it?

Or should we use the occasional with seat setting number 1 to one and seat settings number 2 to the other? But this means all other profile information is lost, car will just retain seat and mirror position

Thanks for your help. Regards
Appreciate 0