BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2018 M550i (from a Model S previously)

01-21-2021, 08:00 PM   #1
HokieHaden
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

On Monday, I drove home in my new (to me) CPO 2018 M550i, with only 28,000 miles. I trade cars every 1-2 years (yeah, it's a problem), and I've owned a 545 and 550 V8 back about a decade ago. Both were fun to drive, but obviously they didn't have any of the infotainment-tech we are spoiled with today. I know I'm in the honeymoon phase, but I'm in love with this 2018 M550i, and I can best describe it as a refined beast.

From 2018-2020, I drove a Tesla Model S 75D, so this is quite a transition (from EV quiet to V8 roar), but I have zero regrets thus far!

I also considered and test drove the Tesla Model Y, Audi e-tron, MB GLC 43 AMG and Audi SQ5. After owing a Model S for 2 years, I just couldn't feel content with the Model Y. The Audi e-tron, I loved the technology, but the drive was pedestrian at best (0-60 in 5.5). I really expected to love the Audi SQ5, but I made the "mistake" of test driving this M550i first. After that, the SQ5 felt more nimble and quick than it did refined and powerful.

Packages/Options:
Cognac Dakota Leather
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance Package and Driver Assistance Plus
Executive Package (tons of goodies in here!)
Apple CarPlay
Gesture Control
Dynamic Digital Cluster
Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps
Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler
Black All Weather Mats
Attached Images

01-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #2
Scotty B
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M550

Congrats. Can't go wrong with that. Now, find a clear stretch of road and test out launch control. It will make you forget about the 75 pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #3
HokieHaden
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
Congrats. Can't go wrong with that. Now, find a clear stretch of road and test out launch control. It will make you forget about the 75 pretty quickly.
Quote:
I don't know, man....I'm a bit in the baby-it phase right now. I'm scared to hurt her. Haha! Seriously, I've been reading about LC, and it sounds like a blast. But it doesn't sound like it would be good for that engine. Am I being too cautious?
      01-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #4
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Do you mind sharing what you paid for car. I am looking at prices now on 18 models and its all over the place from mid 40 range to mid 50's. I typically buy CPO and am scared to not buy CPO again. I am coming a 7 series and owned five of them. A 540I would be practical but I am used to a V8. Not many 19 models out there and if so, they are in the upper 50k range.
Awesome car by the way and I am sure you are going to enjoy.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
HokieHaden
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
Do you mind sharing what you paid for car. I am looking at prices now on 18 models and its all over the place from mid 40 range to mid 50's. I typically buy CPO and am scared to not buy CPO again. I am coming a 7 series and owned five of them. A 540I would be practical but I am used to a V8. Not many 19 models out there and if so, they are in the upper 50k range.
I don't mind at all. Mine is a CPO that has 12 months of factory warranty left. The CPO adds 12 months with unlimited mileage beyond that factory warranty, so I have basically 24 months warranty left in total. That said, I believe the CPO +12 months may not be bumper to bumper coverage (but at least the powertrain coverage is extended).

I paid $43,500 for the car, and then I added on a $3,850 service agreement to cover all service/maintenance needs through 75,000 miles. The finance guy sold me on this, because he said the brakes and rotors will need replacing in the next year likely, and that alone is a $3,000 job at BMW (yikes).

But, for your comparison purposes, I'd consider the $43,500 I paid for the car. In my research on edmunds.com and other places, this seemed like a pretty good deal. I believe original sticker on this car was (edited after looking at build sticker) $82,000.

Best of luck on your search and future purchase!
      01-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #6
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHaden View Post
Quote:
I don't mind at all. Mine is a CPO that has 12 months of factory warranty left. The CPO adds 12 months with unlimited mileage beyond that factory warranty, so I have basically 24 months warranty left in total. That said, I believe the CPO +12 months may not be bumper to bumper coverage (but at least the powertrain coverage is extended).

I paid $43,500 for the car, and then I added on a $3,850 service agreement to cover all service/maintenance needs through 75,000 miles. The finance guy sold me on this, because he said the brakes and rotors will need replacing in the next year likely, and that alone is a $3,000 job at BMW (yikes).

But, for your comparison purposes, I'd consider the $43,500 I paid for the car. In my research on edmunds.com and other places, this seemed like a pretty good deal. I believe original sticker on this car was right under $90,000.

Best of luck on your search and future purchase!
Thanks, I appreciate your input on this. It gives me a guidance to help make a offer. I live in Glen Allen VA and the prices are definitely higher. Your price is inline for what I want to pay. Plus need to be patient and find the right one.
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
bummedic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i and '18 430xi GC

Your thread got deleted on Bimmerfest... what happened?
2018 M550i xDrive | Mediterranean Blue | Black Nappa | Individual Piano Black | 668M with Pilot SS | Cold weather | Driving assist/plus | Dynamic handling | Executive | Luxury seating | Parking assist | Rear shades | Bowers & Wilkins | CarPlay/Gesture/DDC; 2018 430i xDrive Gran Coupe | Carbon Black | Black Dakota | M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
HokieHaden
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummedic View Post
Your thread got deleted on Bimmerfest... what happened?
I noticed that earlier today and was wondering the same. It's back now....I just checked. Odd
      01-22-2021, 09:34 PM   #9
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Congratulations!

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:50 PM   #10
Scotty B
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M550

Quote:
I don't know, man....I'm a bit in the baby-it phase right now. I'm scared to hurt her. Haha! Seriously, I've been reading about LC, and it sounds like a blast. But it doesn't sound like it would be good for that engine. Am I being too cautious?
The ZF transmission is pretty solid from what I've heard. Slightly beefier from the one used in the B58 G30. A LC here and there shouldn't hurt things. I've done 3 in a row stoplight to stoplight without any issues. I feel like babying a car like this is a sin, especially when you have a warranty. Think they are meant to be driven autobahn hard.

At the least, put it in sport plus, throw the shifter into sport and send it. Shouldn't be any wheel spin.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Quote:
I feel like babying a car like this is a sin, especially when you have a warranty.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #12
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Don't want to tell you but previous owner probably has done a tonne of Launch control already so no need to baby it.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #13
HokieHaden
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The ZF transmission is pretty solid from what I've heard. Slightly beefier from the one used in the B58 G30. A LC here and there shouldn't hurt things. I've done 3 in a row stoplight to stoplight without any issues. I feel like babying a car like this is a sin, especially when you have a warranty. Think they are meant to be driven autobahn hard.

At the least, put it in sport plus, throw the shifter into sport and send it. Shouldn't be any wheel spin.
Quote:
Quote:

Okay....I'll give LC a go soon. You're right....at least do it while under warranty.

And yes, I've already driven it pretty hard in Sport+ on a few of the windy roads in the area. In fact, on day 2 she almost got away from me. Such a fun drive!
      01-27-2021, 03:49 AM   #14
BMWKLG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i

I'm curious to know how the Tesla drove comparatively to the M550i in terms of ride quality and suspension. Can you share some insights?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 07:54 AM   #15
HokieHaden
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKLG View Post
I'm curious to know how the Tesla drove comparatively to the M550i in terms of ride quality and suspension. Can you share some insights?
The Model S 75D had air suspension and AWD, and it was a very heavy car due to the battery (4,500 lbs or so, I can't remember?). The two vehicles are both a lot of fun to drive, but in very different ways. There's no denying the instant torque and acceleration of the Tesla - like being launched in a roller coaster. But, it also cornered fairly well, as the battery weight under the car keeps the car planted to the ground.

My M550i is missing the dynamic handling upgrade (whatever that is called), so I know I'm missing something there in overall ride. Still, I absolutely love the V8 roar and experience of driving the M550i. It does not feel as "quick" as the Tesla, but it is overwhelmingly more powerful (if that makes sense). Just a very different animal and hard to compare.

The bigger difference to me is the overall build quality and interior ride experience of the M550i. Tesla is cool and like a spaceship inside, but the minimalist design wore on me over time. I missed the luxury of a proper German luxury vehicle. And, I've said it before, but Tesla no offering CarPlay or Android Auto is a BIG mistake on their part.

As for the actual driving experience, I'd highly recommend driving a Model S if you haven't....to compare for yourself. It's hard for me to describe in words.
      01-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #16
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Okay....I'll give LC a go soon. You're right....at least do it while under warranty.

And yes, I've already driven it pretty hard in Sport+ on a few of the windy roads in the area. In fact, on day 2 she almost got away from me. Such a fun drive!
please share on how it almost got away from you. I assume you were testing it's limits and did you have to change your underwear when you got home.
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #17
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
But it doesn't sound like it would be good for that engine. Am I being too cautious?
Yes. The engine can take it, it was designed for it, and quite frankly, an occasional hard run up to redline (what we used to call "blowing out the carbon") is good for most engines. They are, afterall, designed to do that.

Quote:
Tesla is cool and like a spaceship inside, but the minimalist design wore on me over time. I missed the luxury of a proper German luxury vehicle. ... drive a Model S if you haven't....to compare for yourself.
I test drove several Model S (essesses) and like the OP, I was impressed by the ride, the handling and overall driving impressions. Mostly the acceleration. I was not impressed about paying over $100K for a car with Toyota-ish levels of interior quality, and I didn't like the large, wide door sill. I also don't like that huge iPad thing and lack of real buttons for basic things like radio volume, station presets, HVAC, etc. I didn't want to have to look down so much.

OP, congrats on the car. BTW, most independent BMW shops can do a complete brake job for you much cheaper than the dealer. Food for thought.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 06:01 PM   #18
HokieHaden
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

please share on how it almost got away from you. I assume you were testing it's limits and did you have to change your underwear when you got home.
Oh, I'm probably exaggerating a bit. Suffice it to say, I went for a joy ride in Sport+ on a windy road, at night, that I didn't know well. That is on me, and not something I'd recommend. I almost went off the road and into a ditch. No, I maintained my bodily functions.
      02-01-2021, 12:16 AM   #19
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Do you sell or trade in your cars since you switch so often? I have a 2017 Model S 75D that I would REALLY like to replace with a sportier BMW. But the trade in value is tough to swallow. And I'm a little worried about cashing a check for $45K-ish from a random stranger. How do you all do this?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:26 PM   #20
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Do you sell or trade in your cars since you switch so often? I have a 2017 Model S 75D that I would REALLY like to replace with a sportier BMW. But the trade in value is tough to swallow. And I'm a little worried about cashing a check for $45K-ish from a random stranger. How do you all do this?
Certified funds deposited in person at your bank?

Have you tried carvana or vroom for an online offer? Carvana is reportedly giving silly good $ for cars.

PayPal escrow is another option (I think).

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
bmwdrive464.00
      02-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #21
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
I sold my 7 for 10k and the guy had cash. I counted it in a parking lot before he left. My wife was panicking because it was dark outside but I bought a friend with me. of course the next morning she was up first thing and made me take it to the bank. She stressed me more than the transaction.
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #22
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Certified funds deposited in person at your bank?

Have you tried carvana or vroom for an online offer? Carvana is reportedly giving silly good $ for cars.

PayPal escrow is another option (I think).
I got a pretty good offer on my G01 X3 from Vroom a few weeks ago. It was $1,500 higher than Carvana. It's quick and easy to get their offers.
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50