BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Cameras not recognizing curbs since software update

07-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW

Cameras not recognizing curbs since software update

My 540i xDrive recently had the software upgraded while at the dealership and since the update the cameras are not recognizing curbs when parking (front or rear camera). The car is also having difficulty auto parallel parking (hitting curb) and is not automatically going after coming to a stop when traffic jam assist is enabled. The car wasn't exhibiting any of these issues before the software update.

Has anyone else experienced these issues after updating to the latest software? Is there a method to re-calibrate the cameras? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
oilandgas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550, 2018 DB11

Has you car been coded since the software update? I notice that my car doesn't recognize the front curbs after it gets coded
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilandgas View Post
Has you car been coded since the software update? I notice that my car doesn't recognize the front curbs after it gets coded
The car was in fact coded after the update which may be the problem. I just got it back from the dealership and they reset it back to factory so I'm curious to see if it will recognize curbs again. The car also stopped automatically moving forward after coming to a complete stop in traffic jam assist after coding. Hopefully all issues have been resolved with the reset.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
I don't know about the other portions but whenever mine gets to a complete stop with traffic assist I have to tap the gas pedal for it to get going again.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
I don't know about the other portions but whenever mine gets to a complete stop with traffic assist I have to tap the gas pedal for it to get going again.
Yes, after being stopped for about 5 seconds, I have to tap the gas to get it going as well. If the car in front starts moving before that timeframe, the car will start moving on its own. I think the system is designed that way. I wish the delay was longer, because more often than not, I have to tap the gas. Another option to get the car moving again is to press the RES button on the steering wheel. I actually find this method more convenient.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Quote:
Yes, after being stopped for about 5 seconds, I have to tap the gas to get it going as well. If the car in front starts moving before that timeframe, the car will start moving on its own. I think the system is designed that way. I wish the delay was longer, because more often than not, I have to tap the gas. Another option to get the car moving again is to press the RES button on the steering wheel. I actually find this method more convenient.
My traffic jam is working similar to above but if it comes to a complete stop for more than 2 seconds, it will not automatically move forward. When I took delivery of the car, I hit stop and go traffic on the highway that was stopped for easily more than 10 seconds and the car would move forward automatically. The below video suggests the delay is as high as 30 seconds and I'm definitely not seeing that. Is it adjusted based on the type of roadway?

How do your G30's do at recognizing low curbs in front and rear? Prior to coding it was extremely sensitive. I noticed it especially when reversing into my spot at work. Now it doesn't recognize the curb at all.

I restored every module back to my original backup in Bimmercode. The curb recognition seems to have gotten slightly better but still not recognizing the curb at work. Hope to get this straightened out.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I finally got the update and am not having these issues.

You're not getting any proximity warnings as you come close to curbs? For me, it works the same as it did prior to the update.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 07:40 PM   #8
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I finally got the update and am not having these issues.

You're not getting any proximity warnings as you come close to curbs? For me, it works the same as it did prior to the update.
What update are you referring to? What version software are you on? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialNerror View Post
My 540i xDrive recently had the software upgraded while at the dealership and since the update the cameras are not recognizing curbs when parking (front or rear camera). The car is also having difficulty auto parallel parking (hitting curb) and is not automatically going after coming to a stop when traffic jam assist is enabled. The car wasn't exhibiting any of these issues before the software update.

Has anyone else experienced these issues after updating to the latest software? Is there a method to re-calibrate the cameras? Thanks in advance.
are you still under warranty? best bet would be to take it back to the dealership

it's a safety issue so if the problem continues, you could potentially have a lemon law claim

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
What update are you referring to? What version software are you on? Thanks.
I was referring to the "July Update" for the car. Which included Android Auto.

Discussed more in this thread: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1735994
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Quote:
cars with DA Pro, such as the forthcoming 2021 5 series, traffic jam assist will start rolling automatically beyond 5 seconds. I have a 2021 740i and the DA Pro is a nice evolutionary upgrade over DA Plus. For me, lane keep assist works way better with Pro and doesn't make me appear to be a drunk driver like my 2019 540i.
      08-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #12
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
cars with DA Pro, such as the forthcoming 2021 5 series, traffic jam assist will start rolling automatically beyond 5 seconds. I have a 2021 740i and the DA Pro is a nice evolutionary upgrade over DA Plus. For me, lane keep assist works way better with Pro and doesn't make me appear to be a drunk driver like my 2019 540i.
Thankfully that was improved for MY2020 too then. The auto steering stats centered in the lane without issue for me. I activate it immediately once I get to the gridlock of Philly Traffic.

I don’t get the camera though so I won’t have that lift off like on the MY2021.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:27 PM   #13
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
My traffic jam is working similar to above but if it comes to a complete stop for more than 2 seconds, it will not automatically move forward. When I took delivery of the car, I hit stop and go traffic on the highway that was stopped for easily more than 10 seconds and the car would move forward automatically. The below video suggests the delay is as high as 30 seconds and I'm definitely not seeing that. Is it adjusted based on the type of roadway?

How do your G30's do at recognizing low curbs in front and rear? Prior to coding it was extremely sensitive. I noticed it especially when reversing into my spot at work. Now it doesn't recognize the curb at all.

I restored every module back to my original backup in Bimmercode. The curb recognition seems to have gotten slightly better but still not recognizing the curb at work. Hope to get this straightened out.

Actually in the video you can see the driver press the RES button on the steering wheel to get the car moving again. He seems to be doing this in most instances, whenever the car is stopped for more than a couple of seconds.

As far as my car recognizing the curbs, reversing has never been an issue. The front sensors however, do a good job of it 95% of the time. Once in a while, it has not given me a warning. Maybe the curb was too low or it was a once in a while glitch. And my car is coded as well.
Appreciate 0