BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

07-18-2022, 01:06 PM   #6337
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Advanced and Reconstruction take it to the next level. On my department, the traffic trained Deputies still work the crime calls, we just have an expertise in traffic. It admittedly makes us more well rounded. I can handle anything; a crime call, a DUI/DUI-D arrest, collisions, etc. Someone that is solely a crime car cannot say the same.
All divisional cars would to minor accidents and impaired. Generally if it was a PI then a division traffic unit or specialized traffic unit would do the investigation. Serious PI's or fatals were handled by Central Traffic because those investigations often took days and required reconstruction training, a total station etc.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      07-18-2022, 01:28 PM   #6338
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Quote:
Advanced and Reconstruction take it to the next level. On my department, the traffic trained Deputies still work the crime calls, we just have an expertise in traffic. It admittedly makes us more well rounded. I can handle anything; a crime call, a DUI/DUI-D arrest, collisions, etc. Someone that is solely a crime car cannot say the same.
All divisional cars would to minor accidents and impaired. Generally if it was a PI then a division traffic unit or specialized traffic unit would do the investigation. Serious PI's or fatals were handled by Central Traffic because those investigations often took days and required reconstruction training, a total station etc.
We only reconstruct our fatal collisions if there's going to be significant litigation. Once I measure and diagram a fatal, and the coroner photographs the scene and takes the body, my station traffic detective works on the court filing. It happens pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 11:16 PM   #6339
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Has anyone here sent you a PM/DM asking if they have any outstanding warrants?

Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
vreihen1615283.00
      07-18-2022, 11:18 PM   #6340
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Has anyone here sent you a PM/DM asking if they have any outstanding warrants?

No! That would be hilarious.

I have had people contact me over personal matters involving the law though.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 11:26 PM   #6341
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

What's the law re: conceal and carry in Cali?
      07-18-2022, 11:28 PM   #6342
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
In terms of prohibited actions? Where you can carry? Etc.?
Appreciate 1
Esteban43787.00
      07-18-2022, 11:29 PM   #6343
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, as a regular citizen.
      07-18-2022, 11:32 PM   #6344
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think that's a no, right?
      07-18-2022, 11:35 PM   #6345
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The county you live in is pro-CCW. Apply with the Sheriff's Department. The process isn't too long. Once granted, your CCW will be good for two years. The renewal process is pretty simply as well.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43787.00
      07-18-2022, 11:36 PM   #6346
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The county you live in is pro-CCW. Apply with the Sheriff's Department. The process isn't too long.
Thank you.
      07-18-2022, 11:38 PM   #6347
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The county you live in is pro-CCW. Apply with the Sheriff's Department. The process isn't too long.
Thank you.
No problem. Cause statements shouldn't be needed anymore, but if you need help writing one, let me know.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43787.00
      07-19-2022, 12:36 AM   #6348
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem. Cause statements shouldn't be needed anymore, but if you need help writing one, let me know.
Not a lot of experience with guns but this new world makes me feel the need to protect myself and my family.
      07-19-2022, 12:45 AM   #6349
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

You’re driving on the highway, and spot a car speeding down the other side. The speed is high enough that you’d normally engage in pursuit to nail the car down.
You can’t possibly make a U-turn as the divided highway cannot be crossed until a mile or so down.
You can’t read the licence plate, but you got a good look at the car (brand, model, colour) and driver (hair colour, gender, clothes).

Do you call it in so cops go chase on the other side where the car is headed to, or do you just write it off?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 07:32 AM   #6350
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
You're driving on the highway, and spot a car speeding down the other side. The speed is high enough that you'd normally engage in pursuit to nail the car down.
You can't possibly make a U-turn as the divided highway cannot be crossed until a mile or so down.
You can't read the licence plate, but you got a good look at the car (brand, model, colour) and driver (hair colour, gender, clothes).

Do you call it in so cops go chase on the other side where the car is headed to, or do you just write it off?
I would write that one off for sure. There's nothing I could do about that speeder. Somebody on the other side of the road will call the car in and maybe a highway patrol unit will engage. They love to chase everything.
Appreciate 2
T0RM3NT3642.00
________4158.50
      07-19-2022, 12:26 PM   #6351
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

FARO imaging technology is amazing for scanning fatal crashes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
vreihen1615283.00
Buug95917423.00
      07-19-2022, 03:48 PM   #6352
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

You have FARO, but you are still learning equations on a green piece of paper??????
      07-19-2022, 04:13 PM   #6353
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
You have FARO, but you are still learning equations on a green piece of paper??????
We have maybe ten in the county; most used by our TSD Detectives. FARO maps the scene, but we still need to find the hard values (…e.g….friction rates, initial/ending speeds, skid length, crush, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 06:56 PM   #6354
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
We have maybe ten in the county; most used by our TSD Detectives. FARO maps the scene, but we still need to find the hard values (…e.g….friction rates, initial/ending speeds, skid length, crush, etc.).
I didn't realize you guys were all mathematicians. Pretty sure my attention span at this point in life negates any chance of me comprehending those formulas.

Curious though. Years ago my wife was in an auto accident. She was dead stopped on a road where people generally drive 50 in a 45 zone. 2 lanes each way divided by a grass strip. She comes around a corner and is stopped by a worker to allow a piece of heavy equipment to cross in a local construction zone. Broad daylight. No rain. Perfect visibility.

Car behind her is Chevy pickup truck driven by young girl. Apparently her phone held her in fascination and she doesn't look up or touch the brakes as she rams my wife's car from behind. So no skid marks or anything as far as I am aware.

The police report indicated she was moving at over 60 MPH on contact. How do they know or is this a "swag" based on the total destruction of my wife's car?

Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      07-19-2022, 07:39 PM   #6355
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Quote:
I didn't realize you guys were all mathematicians. Pretty sure my attention span at this point in life negates any chance of me comprehending those formulas.

Curious though. Years ago my wife was in an auto accident. She was dead stopped on a road where people generally drive 50 in a 45 zone. 2 lanes each way divided by a grass strip. She comes around a corner and is stopped by a worker to allow a piece of heavy equipment to cross in a local construction zone. Broad daylight. No rain. Perfect visibility.

Car behind her is Chevy pickup truck driven by young girl. Apparently her phone held her in fascination and she doesn't look up or touch the brakes as she rams my wife's car from behind. So no skid marks or anything as far as I am aware.

The police report indicated she was moving at over 60 MPH on contact. How do they know or is this a "swag" based on the total destruction of my wife's car?

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Doing the math sucks, but it's true. Go math! Lol!

So wait….

….there were no skid marks at all?….not even rubber on the ground from your wife's car (…e.g. a strip, or strips of rubber left on the ground from her depressing the brakes when the impact occurred)? All you need are a few values to start working through the calculation. If the car has an EDR, you'll get speed values pre-crash, brake info, etc. There are also published co-efficient rates for all surfaces (…e.g…asphalt, cement, grass, sand, etc.) or you can use a drag sled to obtain those figures; all decimal. I can go on, but you can calculate it all.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 08:11 PM   #6356
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:

So wait….

….there were no skid marks at all?….not even rubber on the ground from your wife's car (…e.g. a strip, or strips of rubber left on the ground from her depressing the brakes when the impact occurred)? All you need are a few values to start working through the calculation. If the car has an EDR, you'll get speed values pre-crash, brake info, etc. There are also published co-efficient rates for all surfaces (…e.g…asphalt, cement, grass, sand, etc.) or you can use a drag sled to obtain those figures; all decimal. I can go on, but you can calculate it all.
Speaking of EDR's... Do you need a warrant to access the data? How hard is it to get one? If I have a notarized letter stating that I have to give written permission to access the data, does that preclude access?

I have been leery of these devices ever since that girl back East (NH?, VT?) got charged with manslaughter when she lost control, hit a tree and her passenger was killed after hitting black ice. The EDR even showed she wasn't speeding or was traveling too fast for conditions.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      07-19-2022, 08:18 PM   #6357
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:

So wait….

Speaking of EDR's... Do you need a warrant to access the data? How hard is it to get one? If I have a notarized letter stating that I have to give written permission to access the data, does that preclude access?

I have been leery of these devices ever since that girl back East (NH?, VT?) got charged with manslaughter when she lost control, hit a tree and her passenger was killed after hitting black ice. The EDR even showed she wasn't speeding or was traveling too fast for conditions.
We will only need a warrant if we impound the vehicle and then release it to you, but want access to the vehicle post-release. If we impound the vehicle at the scene we don't need a warrant. The car is held as evidence (…22655.5 CVC).

I'm not familiar with the EDR case you're referencing. I'll have to research it. Traveling too fast for the conditions can occur even if you're driving the prima facie limit, but other conditions render the posted speed too fast (…ex: driving the posted speed limit during heavy fog).
Appreciate 1
T0RM3NT3642.00
      07-20-2022, 06:53 AM   #6358
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:

So wait….

Well maybe I'm wrong. They said there were no skid marks indicating the girl ever touched her brakes. Perhaps there were marks from my wife's car. Hadn't thought of that.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50