BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Is my car a lemon?

08-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Is my car a lemon?

Took it in the first time for a steering wheel/column noise about a month ago, maybe longer. After 4-5 times the noise is still there. The last time they replaced the steering column itself. I brought it back today because of the noise and another rattling noise popped up. So this would be the 5th time I've brought it in.

At what point does it qualify as a lemon? Not exactly sure what a "reasonable" number of time means.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

It means most BWM/Dealers really s@ck !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Read all about it - http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf
      08-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
It mentioned something about 18,000 miles. My car currently has just under 32,000.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Took it in the first time for a steering wheel/column noise about a month ago, maybe longer. After 4-5 times the noise is still there. The last time they replaced the steering column itself. I brought it back today because of the noise and another rattling noise popped up. So this would be the 5th time I've brought it in.

At what point does it qualify as a lemon? Not exactly sure what a "reasonable" number of time means.
cars not a lemon.
dealer seems to be having issues.

can you try another? any nearby?
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
Quote:

cars not a lemon.

It's one of the top dealers so I'm not sure switching would fix it. I first took it to another dealer and all they did was lubricated the parts. Before I drove off the lot I checked and it was still making noise. After that I took it to the current dealer as they have more loaners readily available.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Have you tried looking up the actual lemon law in your state? It might only include things if a mechanical and safety nature, like someone mentioned above
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Just try not to be bitter about it
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post
Have you tried looking up the actual lemon law in your state? It might only include things if a mechanical and safety nature, like someone mentioned above
Definitely mechanical. I looked it up but wasn't sure what "reasonable" amount of time meant. Will open a case with the state as someone else above suggested.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #10
darkbluemn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 F82

If you are talking about noise, I don't think it's a lemon. BTW, M cars have noise everywhere, it's normal. If you go to M school and try their cars, the noise is terrible.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #11
StoneColdCivic
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series

You want to talk about lemons, I recently bought my first non BMW, a 2000 Honda Civic. I wanted to have a clunker/daily driver. And boy o boy, I was driving down to Mexico and it completely died about 20 miles south of the border.

The fan belt completely shredded which flew under the hood and ripped the plug wires out. It was collateral damage. I had just gotten it 4 weeks ago too. For the sole purpose of daily driving into Mexico.

Good thing I could just leave it there.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #12
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

Quote:

Look up CA law, it's there and easily understood.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #13
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:

I'm presuming your car is still under warranty. If it isn't, the lemon law doesn't apply.

Four times are more is what this website says: http://californialemonlawgroup.com/faqs/
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #14
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
I'm presuming your car is still under warranty. If it isn't, the lemon law doesn't apply.

Four times are more is what this website says: http://californialemonlawgroup.com/faqs/
Yeah, car has 9 months/18k miles of warranty left. I've emailed BMWNA. I'll get the dealer and service manager (who is a regional rep for BMWNA) involved as well. Not saying that the car absolutely needs to be lemones but at this point I prefer that it is. If it doesn't work I will see if I can go through arbitration. We'll see how it does.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
StoneColdCivic
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

cars not a lemon.

It's one of the top dealers so I'm not sure switching would fix it. I first took it to another dealer and all they did was lubricated the parts. Before I drove off the lot I checked and it was still making noise. After that I took it to the current dealer as they have more loaners readily available.
Have you specifically checked the steering shaft collar bushing? I am pretty certain the dealer didn't change this part when swapping steering shafts. Remove the lower dash look down and it will be right there.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #16
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:

my old E90 had issue with blowing warm engine air on my legs from around the bottom of steering column. Took the car in 4 times and they said there is nothing wrong with it, 5th time they fixed it and said they were sorry... said something about the heat padding wasn't put on back right... I guess 4 times they didn't even bother to look at it
      08-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #17
StoneColdCivic
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdCivic View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

cars not a lemon.

Have you specifically checked the steering shaft collar bushing? I am pretty certain the dealer didn't change this part when swapping steering shafts. Remove the lower dash look down and it will be right there.

Also if that doesn't work try this - take the PUMA case and perform changeover from ATF to Pentosin. One of those two should fix it. Good luck!

-Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #18
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

cars not a lemon.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

cars not a lemon.

Also if that doesn't work try this - take the PUMA case and perform changeover from ATF to Pentosin. One of those two should fix it. Good luck!

-Cheers
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

cars not a lemon.

I'll give them a call tomorrow to open a PUMA case. Also just sent BMWNA an email about the issue too.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #19
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Set it on fire and collect insurance.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #20
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I wish you luck with your issue...

All else aside, I got to drive an M2 yesterday again in numerous very good scenarios and it reaffirms my opinion on what a disappointment that car is... I don't see how it is in any different from a decently modded 135i... it literally felt no different than my old 135i. The M3 is a different discussion all together.
Appreciate 0