BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Tragedy at the VLN opening race today at Nurburgring

03-29-2015, 04:55 AM   #45
Skeiz
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :(

Such a tragic event.

This reminds me an awful lot of the '99 Le Mans crash(es):

Appreciate 1
      03-29-2015, 04:57 AM   #46
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

First off, condolences to the family and friends of the spectator, let's not forget the driver (Jann Mardenborough), he is gonna feel bad as well.

The jury's out on the cause so let's hold fire on blame until the facts are known.

If anyone has been to Nurburgring, they'll know it's an exhilarating place to be, no matter how far you are away from the track. For a petrolhead, it's a great place to watch (and drive on public days), dangerous as well.

No doubt there will be changes as a result, some hardcore fans will complain as loss of viewing and others will be pragmatic.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2015, 05:10 AM   #47
Tempe Mendoan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92-M3 / 458 / F82

it looks more like aero related for me. Just like how a plane starts to fly at certain speed, maybe...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 05:39 AM   #48
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

Our condolences to the families of these people. It was a tragic week for Germany, first air accident happens Germanwings and now this other accident.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #49
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe Mendoan
it looks more like aero related for me. Just like how a plane starts to fly at certain speed, maybe...
Yes. In the video, almost looks like the hill acted as a ramp, then the rear exhaust was like a jet engine keeping the lift going.

As a racing fan who goes to events and likes to sit pretty close, I feel horrible for those fans hurt and killed; that should never happen. However, racing is dangerous for all parties involved. That barrier should be stronger, but that will affect the view.

I know many of us are adrenaline junkies and petrol heads, so not sure most want extra safety.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #50
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
My sincere sympathies to the families and victims of that sad event

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #51
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Wow. Such a horrible event on top of other horrible events for Germany this week. Condolences to family and friends of those affected, and to the driver as well. That's going to be tough to deal with.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #52
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure
Our condolences to the families of these people. It was a tragic week for Germany, first air accident happens Germanwings and now this other accident.
"Accident" implies no one was at fault.

So we call them "incidents" instead until it's proven no one was at fault.

I heard this from a police officer.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #53
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
All,

Main post updated with latest news from the incident yesterday.

The German Motorsport Federation, DSMB has BANNED ALL GT3 cars in the SP7-SP10 and SP-X classes from the Nurburgring until further notice until they complete a investigation of the event that caused the crash. Link to report on first post.

This throws the Nurburgring 24 hour race scheduled for the 14-17 May into question.
      03-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #54
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Yes of course it is.

First stupid thing people do is turn it off.
Here it was a race, so this wasn't the main cause of the accident!
The aerodynamics of the car were somehow weak!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #55
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Looks like that part of the road will make many cars lift the front wheels. The aero pack made it worse by far. Very sad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Here it was a race, so this wasn't the main cause of the accident!
The aerodynamics of the car were somehow weak!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #56
My Schnell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 6MT / Gen II Raptor

Quote:
Looks like that part of the road will make many cars lift the front wheels. The aero pack made it worse by far. Very sad!

First off, RIP to a fellow race enthusiast.

Secondly, Yes that part of the Nordschleife is known for cars "lifting-off." They have been doing that for 88 years.

Thirdly, this was a race, no electronics to turn off to prevent this from happening!

Lastly, again, this was a race ... Motorsports are dangerous for all those involved, you'll see this plastered everywhere in Europe where races are held.

I have 88 laps on the Nordschleife during tourist drives, 55 in an E90 M3, and I would go through Flugplatz at 100+MPH on a good hot/dry day. 90 MPH most other days with traffic and colder temps.

FYI, Flugplatz, wikipedia:

The Nordschleife was formerly known for its abundance of sharp crests, causing fast-moving, firmly-sprung racing cars to jump clear off the track surface at many locations. Although by no means the most fearsome, Flugplatz is perhaps the most aptly (although coincidentally) named and widely remembered. The name of this part of the track comes from a small airfield, which in the early years was located close to the track in this area. The track features a very short straight that climbs sharply uphill for a short time, then suddenly drops slightly downhill, and this is immediately followed by two very fast right-hand kinks. Chris Irwin's career was ended following a massive accident at Flugplatz, in a Ford 3L GT sports car in 1968. Manfred Winkelhock flipped his March F2 car at the same corner in 1980. The Flugplatz is one of the most important parts of the Nürburgring because after the two very fast right handers comes what is possibly the fastest part of the track: a downhill straight called Kottenborn, into a very fast curve called Schwedenkreuz (Swedish Cross). Drivers are flat for some time here.

Right before Flugplatz is Quiddelbacher Höhe (Peak, as in "Mountain Summit"), where the track crosses a bridge over the Bundesstraße 257.
2009 E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT Slicktop, AA X-pipe w/straight pipes w/Eisenmann Sport, Dinan intake, AA Pulley, ZCP strut retro w/Dinan Stage III susp, BPM Stage II tune, Rear Fog LCI switch, BMW Edition Front & Side Grill/Gill, Thrust Arm Monoball, Solid Subframe Bushes, Black 19x9.5/10.5 APEX PS-7s, Vibra-Technics engine mounts, Auto Solutions shifter 20% throw, WPC treated Rod Bearings & AiB v4-Now, Not Wife approved!!
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #57
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

Well.. this "area" is called: Flugplatz - for a reason!
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #58
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Flying cars, but not this way. Do I understand correctly the driver walked away and a spectator died?
      03-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #59
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Flying cars, but not this way. Do I understand correctly the driver walked away and a spectator died?
Yes, correct. Plus three more spectators in the hospital severely injured.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #60
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Scary and unfortunate...

A smooth bottom reduces turbulence, but is only one part of whether it might provide lift. That all depends on what the top surface is shaped like and (this is probably critical in this instance) its attack angle. What works on the flat roadway, may not work when your angles change. Throw in the possibility of a gust of wind, and it could get ugly really quickly. It's highly unlikely race cars have much of any electronic nannies that could be turned off as opposed to most modern road cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #61
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Very sad day at the Ring.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #62
ScoopsLR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

RIP
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #63
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Dak, that is really awful. I am sorry for the loss of one, and hope for a speedy recovery of the others.
      03-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #64
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
So sad. If going to drive so crazy if they'd leave some stability in place this would not happen at all.

I hate people who drive like that.

My condolences to friends & family !!!!!!
What are you even talking about? This was a full race-spec car. There is no stability control. At least not the type you'd find on a production car. Even if there was stability control, it wouldn't have done a single thing to prevent this accident. Stability control cannot defy physics; sadly.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2015, 03:03 AM   #65
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
So sad. If going to drive so crazy if they'd leave some stability in place this would not happen at all.

I hate people who drive like that.

My condolences to friends & family !!!!!!
What are you even talking about?This was a full race-spec car. There is no stability control. At least not the type you'd find on a production car. Even if there was stability control, it wouldn't have done a single thing to prevent this accident. Stability control cannot defy physics; sadly.
What are you talking about?

A race spec car, based on a fucking production car. AND it comes with stability management from Nissan, and don't think otherwise. Just because they're in a full on race means nothing of the contrary.

Leaving stability management on surprisingly does wonders, even at the race track.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:51 AM   #66
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
What are you talking about?

A race spec car, based on a fucking production car. AND it comes with stability management from Nissan, and don't think otherwise. Just because they're in a full on race means nothing of the contrary.

Leaving stability management on surprisingly does wonders, even at the race track.

Actually since they are in a full on race it makes all the difference. Since you don't have a clue what you are on about, let me explain.

I've included download links to the relevant documents so you can read the PDF's for yourself.

The Nissan GT-R GT3 Nismo that crashed at the Nürburgring was competing in the VLN SP9 class. As per the DMSB regulations - SP9 relates to FIA GT3 spec cars. The FIA GT3 Technical regulations clause 2.10 is as follows:

Assistance au pilotage / Driving aids
Tout système de contrôle électronique de stabilité est
interdit. / Any electronic stability control system is forbidden.

I hope that makes it clear.
Appreciate 0