BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board US Air Force - thinking of joining

08-01-2017, 04:08 AM   #23
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

PM sent
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:27 AM   #24
F22_Raptor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Maybe you should try to become an accountant for Boeing, Northrupp, Raytheon or Lockheed.
      08-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #25
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

39 and want to join? That sounds like an awful idea. Pick up a hobby like getting drunk and flying RC planes or something. Stand on the side of the road and throw rocks at Audi's.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:28 AM   #26
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Seems like everyone else has already pointed out why you shouldn't join. I'm not going to post any reasons why you should because I'm sure you already know them and they are typically specific to your situation.

What I will say is that you are not alone in wanting something different at your age. A lot of people go through it and it's natural to want something different. My step father for instance worked for 15 years at a cement plant as a manager. He was bored of the work he did and was tired of waking up at 3am to open the plant, then leaving at 3pm after he was finished with his administrative duties. The way he decided to change is probably the best way I could recommend to you.

Keep your job now while you figure out what you want to do. Become a volunteer fire fighter, intern at a different place part time to see what you like, find professional mentors in different career fields that could give you an idea on of the day to day grind in those fields. Once you find that new path for you, still keep your accounting job while you go back to school to learn the trade. STILL keep your job while you transition into the new field for your first time (2 part time jobs). Then once you feel settled in it (because you could always end up deciding you don't like it quickly once the glitter and dazzle of the new job slides away), then drop the accounting job and transition fully to the new career field. You have a family and I'm sure that your wife makes great money in the medical field, so you might be able to just jump balls deep into the muck that is career transition. But I'd recommend against that extreme.

My step father became a volunteer fire fighter while he worked at the cement plant. Ended up driving the fire trucks. Decided he wanted something else, but still in the emergency services field. So he did EMT driving part time, while still working the cement plant, and he found that he really liked the job, but in his older age (plus he's 5'7") that he couldn't lift some patients because they were just to heavy and his colleague who was in his early 20s, lifted weights, was able to do the job better. So he began transitioning into the medical field. He was part time at the EMT company transporting elderly folks to and from appointments and stuff while he went back to school for a medical degree in radiology. This is where he left the cement plant (from the start to now, was about 2-3 years). Got his degree and now he works at 2 different hospitals as a radiological technician doing xrays, CT scans, etc. and also works part time for the college where he got his degree as a Lab instructor. He still works at the hospital, but the students come to him and he teaches them at the hospital for OJT essentially. He's in his mid 50s now and working all of this to quickly get more money for his retirement. He's been entirely in this field, working like this for about 7 years now and loves what he does. Combined, he makes about the same and works about the same as he did at the cement plant, but he gets more enjoyment out of what he does (especially the lab instructor part). Oh and the best part, he gets discounted education for his kids through the college he works at.

Just my $0.02 and I hope it was helpful.
Appreciate 3
DGM339.00
MojoRider103.50
      08-01-2017, 07:00 AM   #27
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by styler69 View Post
in military for 15 yrs. if they want you they will bend the rules and find a way to take you as an officer. being college educated and your age are going to combine for a bad experience unless your only goal is to serve your country. by the way, the military is mostly boring - its 80% waiting. don't mean to rain on your parade.
Um, no they cannot bend the rules...

"Title 10, Section 532, United States Code, states an original appointment as a commissioned officer in the Regular Air Force may only be given to a person who is able to complete 20 years of active commissioned service before their 55th birthday. The Air Force maximum age policy for commissioning line officers is 42. You must receive your commission by your 35th birthday."

If he's going in as a doctor/chaplain, that may be a possibility...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #28
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

i didn't read all the responses OP, just the initial post so i'm saying something that's already been said then my bad.

if you want to be babied, join the air force.

But it all depends on what you're doing. I did 8 years active with a few deployments in the Army, got out an E-6. i made E-6 at 25 years old, however i was in an MOS where the promotion points were low. 88M, motor transport.

the Air force will be easier for you to transition to than the Army, but while you might think it's not a big deal initially, don't be surprised if you start feeling irritated because there are soldiers/airmen who are 22 years old who will be your immediate supervisor.

it was a problem i had encountered during my second deployment. i was 22, just made SGT, and had this private who just joined who was already 41.

didn't go to well for the first few months because he felt like he shouldn't be listening to someone who he's old enough to be the father to.

if you can tolerate the age issues then you'll be fine. people like to overhype the drill sergeants but the reality is that if you had a strict mom, then nothing they say will be any worse than what your own parents have said to you. anybody with latino, black, or southern white moms knows exactly what i'm talking about.

if i was you i'd do something like intelligence, don't do anything grunt style if you can help it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #29
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Mid-life crisis is a terrible thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #30
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Stand on the side of the road and throw rocks at Audi's.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #31
styler69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Quote:
in military for 15 yrs. if they want you they will bend the rules and find a way to take you as an officer. being college educated and your age are going to combine for a bad experience unless your only goal is to serve your country. by the way, the military is mostly boring - its 80% waiting. don't mean to rain on your parade.
Um, no they cannot bend the rules...

"Title 10, Section 532, United States Code, states an original appointment as a commissioned officer in the Regular Air Force may only be given to a person who is able to complete 20 years of active commissioned service before their 55th birthday. The Air Force maximum age policy for commissioning line officers is 42. You must receive your commission by your 35th birthday."

If he's going in as a doctor/chaplain, that may be a possibility...
I've been in 15 years and if they want you they find a way. There is not a rule or reg that cannot be discarded or bent and given your position you certainly should have seen this many times.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #32
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
I've been in 15 years and if they want you they find a way. There is not a rule or reg that cannot be discarded or bent and given your position you certainly should have seen this many times.
I guess the military has changed since I retired.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
MojoRider103.50
      08-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #33
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Remember that recruiters are salesmen, just trying to make their numbers - they make used car guys look like saints. They will promise the moon, and don't care if it is impossible - try suing the DOD later for breach of a verbal contract. With your age and skills, if they really wanted you they would be making a firm offer as officer grade; he's just blowing smoke to try to sign you up. Good comments here, but one I did not see is that basic training is an engineered stress test for the body, and one designed for 20-year-old ones; the goal is to weed out potential problems early, usually via injury or mental breakdown. Unless you really are a glutton for punishment, I'd second the suggestions to find another source of life satisfaction - somebody suggested FBI or similar, and federal/state law enforcement might be a much better fit for you and your skills. On the plus side, military/VA benefits, and the potential for a true pension far outclass most of the civilian job perks.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #34
VandalF16
Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

I wouldn't recommend enlisting as an E-3 at this point in your life. I'm currently in the AF flying F-16's (10 years) and it'd be tough to justify doing what you are proposing given your situation. If you can't sleep at night because of a burning desire to serve, well then I'd try the ANG or AFRC and avoid active duty. Food for thought, at my current base, young airmen (E-3 and below) are all stuck in the dorms until they make E-4 and their name makes it to the top of the list of those interested in off base housing. DoD contracts often stipulate that on base housing will operate at a certain capacity (90% for example), and until that happens, young enlisted are stuck. Do you want to be living in the dorms again, with other junior enlisted (most 18-21 yrs old) making welfare wages while you have a family?

Last edited by VandalF16; 08-01-2017 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #35
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Don't like desk job, try to start your own business
I was thinking along the same lines, but perhaps join a startup or even just a much more entrepreneurial company than current position. Do anything long enough it gets stale. I would have to imagine working in accounting at someplace like, say, Tesla for example where the company culture is very anti establishment and led by a mad genius might be a nice change. Just to pick a stupid example.

Or perhaps OP would enjoy being a "leader of men" teaching a course at the local university or community college?

Just something to use your skills, break up the day-to-day a bit, and get a little out of your comfort zone. Accounting is, by nature, routine and repetitive. You live your life by the accounting calendar and when Day 3 (or whatever) rolls around it's just like last month and the month before that.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #36
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalF16 View Post
I wouldn't recommend enlisting as an E-3 at this point in your life. I'm currently in the AF flying F-16's (10 years) and it'd be tough to justify doing what you are proposing given your situation. If you can't sleep at night because of a burning desire to serve, well then I'd try the ANG or AFRC and avoid active duty. Food for thought, at my current base, young airmen (E-3 and below) are all stuck in the dorms until they make E-4 and their name makes it to the top of the list of those interested in off base housing. DoD contracts often stipulate that on base housing will operate at a certain capacity (90% for example), and until that happens, young enlisted are stuck. Do you want to be living in the dorms again, with other junior enlisted (most 18-21 yrs old) making welfare wages while you have a family?
Married members are guaranteed privatized housing or off base housing, at least for the Air Force. Only single airmen or unaccompanied airmen are put in the dorms. Also the first sergeant can put in to have responsible airmen moved out of the dorms.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #37
DGM33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 e93 M3

A buddy of mine is former Air Force and now is a GS accountant for them. He loves being a civilian on base, gets great benefits with none of the collateral duties/deployments.
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      08-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #38
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Im in the Air National Guard. Im a mechanic for the a10. I love it. We have a couple guys who joined in their 30s and are doing fine. Going guard was a huge plus due to the fact that i wouldnt have to move and i knew what job i would have before i signed my contract, and we dont use the same ratings to get promoted(active duty promotions are stupid, along with everything else active duty.) Cons to going gaurd are some educational benefits and healthcare stuff, which it seems like you wouldnt need anyway. Heres the even better part to going guard is the opportunity to become a full time technician, which is what i am. Let me explain. I go and do my weekend warrior(military) stuff once a month and get a paycheck for it. Then, tuesday thru thursday i go to work and do the same exact thing and get another paycheck(federal employee). They call it dual status. And let me just tell you, i make more money then all my friends who went to college. Plus we get good health benefits. AND when we get deployed or go on fun trips we take leave from our federal job and get paid. We make a lot more money than active duty when deplyed. If i were you i would look into going guard. It will be easier on you and your family. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #39
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
just in time for Top Gun 2!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #40
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

If anything, join the reserves or national guard. I wouldn't waste my time with AD at your age. The initial paycheck of maybe $1500/mo + BAH isn't worth it really. After 4 years you'd be making maybe $40k a year.

I've noticed there's a lot more older people in the Army/AF reserve component and generally speaking reserves has more mature people and less strict in the formalities. The AD side is really a young person's game.

I enjoy the reserves, it's a nice break from the monotonous civilian life and also I get to just drink with my friends and hang out with them during the weekend drill. I've been at this for almost 10 years now and even though I take a pay cut going to drill, it's worth it. I'm not sure about the Army/AF side, but the USMCR makes it really easy to choose a specific job (MarForRes BIC report comes to mind), unlike the AD side where it's a job field of unrelated MOS'.
      08-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #41
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I was thinking along the same lines, but perhaps join a startup or even just a much more entrepreneurial company than current position. Do anything long enough it gets stale. I would have to imagine working in accounting at someplace like, say, Tesla for example where the company culture is very anti establishment and led by a mad genius might be a nice change. Just to pick a stupid example.

Or perhaps OP would enjoy being a "leader of men" teaching a course at the local university or community college?

Just something to use your skills, break up the day-to-day a bit, and get a little out of your comfort zone. Accounting is, by nature, routine and repetitive. You live your life by the accounting calendar and when Day 3 (or whatever) rolls around it's just like last month and the month before that.
Startups usually pay very little unless you are in leading team

As OP, I too would love to do something else. Dont have any ideas though. I am soon 38. No midlife crisis yet , just sick of doing things I dont like and sometimes hate.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #42
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
I appreciate the wide range of responses guys, just been busy finishing up 2nd Qtr closing and trying to catch up with other projects. Still at work but glad I get paid OT for it. I've glanced at some replies but I'll review everyone's answers by the end of the week.

I may still speak to a recruiter but doing reserves for the Coast Guard could be in the cards as well. IIRC someone commented not doing reserves so I'll see what's up. We love it here in South Florida and pulling them from this area would be hard pressed. Will keep you guys posted but again, caring bunch.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #43
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Wink

Bam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I also retired from the Air Force after 21 years. I was an officer and flew F4 Phantoms. Your eyesight is not an issue because you have to be an officer to be a pilot. As you said, you are too old to be an officer and too old to enter pilot training. As much as I loved the Air Force life, I really don't think you are in the best position to start an Air Force career. If you really want to do it, maybe you should look at joining the Air Force reserve or the Air National Guard. You could then keep you current job and spice it up with military service.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #44
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post

Startups usually pay very little unless you are in leading team

As OP, I too would love to do something else. Dont have any ideas though. I am soon 38. No midlife crisis yet , just sick of doing things I dont like and sometimes hate.
That's true but you're not uprooting the family, making next to nothing in the military, etc etc. Depends on how drastic a change OP needs. Upside in equity too.

I for one plan to buy a corvette and rock an awesome comb over. I still have all my hair but I will have a comb over damn it.
Appreciate 0