BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding 2023 M550i OTA Updates

01-11-2023, 04:28 PM   #1
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i

2023 M550i OTA Updates

Does anyone know how I can turn off or disable OTA updates. There is a selection in iDrive 7 to check for updates, but I can't seem to find a selection to turn off the OTA updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 09:03 PM   #2
Marsh50
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW 550ix, '19 BMW 430ix

Garage List
I believe you can do it by selecting the following from the menu:
Car - Settings - General Settings - Remote Software Upgrade - Deactivate function now.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 11:02 AM   #3
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh50 View Post
Car - Settings - General Settings - Remote Software Upgrade - Deactivate function now.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the feedback, but when I get to the Remote Software Upgrade, there is no option to Deactivate. My only option is to check for updates. I didn't see anything in BimmerCode either. Makes me wonder if BMW is taking the option away from us.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 09:25 PM   #4
Marsh50
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW 550ix, '19 BMW 430ix

Garage List
You're correct. I hadn't activated it on mine but when I did and the update check was complete, there was no option to deactivate it. Apologies for not double-checking before posting. I don't know about you but I found BimmerCode (and Carly) options for this car surprisingly thin.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 09:23 AM   #5
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're correct. I hadn't activated it on mine but when I did and the update check was complete, there was no option to deactivate it. Apologies for not double-checking before posting. I don't know about you but I found BimmerCode (and Carly) options for this car surprisingly thin.
I found BimmerCode to cover most of the things I wanted to change, but a couple have eluded me. Having said that, I haven't ventured into EXPERT mode. The first thing was after coding the M logo to the iDrive 7 screen, it wouldn't display. I finally found a setting to omit the safety warning screen, but then it presented with the welcome profile screen. Occasionally it will display the M logo on shut down. I finally sent a note to the BimmerCode folks, and they indicated that it was some sort of random function that couldn't be coded. The second thing is the OTA update. I don't mind getting OTA updates, but would rather be alerted to the fact that they are available, then go into BimmerCode to create a backup of my current settings before performing the OTA updates. That way I can perform a restore from a backup. It may not work every time depending on the software change, but it may cover me most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 03:10 PM   #6
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

This is really scary if BMW has removed our ability to disable OTA updates. It means that any coding we do will have to be reapplied every time there is an update, and worse, any tunes will be wiped out and the DME must be bench unlocked before putting them back. An LCI owner may have to send their DME to Finland for that.

If the option to disable OTA updates isn't in the iDrive menu I sure hope somebody finds a way to code it. Maybe somebody who still has the option to disable could do a before/after check of FDL codes to see what values change after selecting or de-selecting the box? I wouldn't even know which modules would likely be impacted though.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 11:05 AM   #7
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep

I have yet to find a way to turn off OTA, so as you surmised, an OTA update can/will wipe out our coding. I think in most cases, Bimmercode can be used to "restore" a previous backup. There may occasionally be a module that has been reconfigured such that a restore won't take. The idea that a bench unlocked DME could be locked by an OTA update is a real bummer! I haven't even considered a bench unlock due to needing to send the DME overseas. Easy to imagine it being lost in the mail. I'll be patient and wait for a US based outfit to figure out how to bench unlock the DME.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 12:05 PM   #8
Eco89909192
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i Xdrive

Remote updates are disabled from the Privacy settings in Car - Settings - General Settings. If you check the Individual (or how it says) privacy settings, you can find Remote Software Upgrade, uncheck it and that disables RSU
Appreciate 1
G30 B581546.50
      01-25-2023, 12:27 PM   #9
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco89909192 View Post
Remote updates are disabled from the Privacy settings in Car - Settings - General Settings. If you check the Individual (or how it says) privacy settings, you can find Remote Software Upgrade, uncheck it and that disables RSU
Thank you so much for your assistance! I'm still learning my way through BMW's software/menu system. You were correct in that it was under the Privacy setting. This forum is a great asset!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:48 PM   #10
CarolLrons
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the help. You made my day. I would also like to help you by sharing the https://www.topessaywriting.org/write-my-research-paper website with you. If you want someone to write your research paper then you can take help from that website.

Last edited by CarolLrons; 02-18-2023 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0