BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Dangers with installing the M-perf spoiler

04-22-2024, 01:34 PM   #1
Bosniak
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530xD

Hello.
So I’ve bought an M-Perfomance spoiler (picture underneath) and with it I ordered the 3M VHB 5952F tape, which I saw recommended on here. Do I need anything else or is the tape sufficent? I’m asking since i’m planing to go on a road trip through Germany, I wonderer if there was any risk of it flying off?
I highly doubt it, but its better to ask, than to risk the spoiler flying through someones windshield at 250km/h.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 02:47 PM   #2
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

This is how I did it.

1. Use a good, non-damaging degreaser. I used Simple Green because I had it around.
2. Wipe off SG with mild soapy water. This is probably unnecessary but I only wanted to do this one time. So, one extra wipe down isn't going to hurt anything.
3. Wipe it down with alcohol on microfiber.
4. Apply good pressure when attaching the spoiler. That tape is pressure activated. Weight it down, if possible. Though, I didn't.
5. Let it sit in dry warmish area for as close to 24 hrs as possible. Overnight is fine, though.

You shouldn't have any issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:42 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbuggy2b View Post
This is how I did it.

1. Use a good, non-damaging degreaser. I used Simple Green because I had it around.
2. Wipe off SG with mild soapy water. This is probably unnecessary but I only wanted to do this one time. So, one extra wipe down isn't going to hurt anything.
3. Wipe it down with alcohol on microfiber.
4. Apply good pressure when attaching the spoiler. That tape is pressure activated. Weight it down, if possible. Though, I didn't.
5. Let it sit in dry warmish area for as close to 24 hrs as possible. Overnight is fine, though.

You shouldn't have any issues.
I've seen posts where people used copious amounts of painter's tape to hold the spoiler down while the adhesive cures.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:55 PM   #4
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

My issue with that is if you're attaching a spoiler with a large lip you're mostly going to be pulling down on the back edge of the lip, causing it to want to lift on the front edge of the lip. You're just not going to get enough pull down Force from the tape on the front edge because it's in the same plane as the spoiler. For really short spoilers it's probably fine though.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 01:06 PM   #5
JSKS76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540xi

I would use 3M adhesion promoter on the spoiler side and probably some heat gun when applying to the car. To degrease the car, you can use a 10% alcohol mix.
Appreciate 1
Bosniak12.00